Were/are you more relaxed with the end in sight?

Having investments has definitely cut down on stress. My job income becomes less important every year. It is liberating.

I'm still interested in my job, and I still (mostly) enjoy it. Once I'm there, I'm engaged and challenged and looking for ways to improve and do better. It's just that when I am away, I don't look forward to returning. Sunday evenings, I'm bummed out that my weekend of practice retirement is over. Mornings, I am reluctant to jump out of bed and face the commute. Even deciding what to wear each day is tedious and leaves me mildly annoyed and looking forward to a time I can wear whatever I want without concerns for "appropriate" and "professional".

I am not just counting the days, I am counting the paychecks. I am paid monthly and I see it as seventy-two more opportunities to save, which makes the end date seem even closer.

I'm wondering if other people experienced this change in attitude, and if it was a long-term shift, or just a passing phase? As it is, I'm smiling a lot more, and with my closest co-worker (who is my age) making occasional comments of "six more years!" I'm trying to rein that in for fear of becoming a tedious bore. If you experienced a similar attitude shift, did it escalate, making work perversely MORE difficult as the end neared? What tactics do you suggest to cope?

--Michelle
_________
2193 days and counting
"change in attitude"
Yes without a doubt esp. when I think of the things we plan to do and the vacations we got planned...

I feel the same way about my job, I like it and it is interesting but I am in
no rush to go back.

As I get closer my attitude has gotten even better. Work is not more difficult
but I just don't care as much. I still work hard etc.

I count the weeks and every Friday my hotmail pops up with that magic number.

That number also equals how many weeks till our cruise that I am taking my my wife, son, his wife and grandchildren on !

I own a business. We thought we might be able to sell it and retire within months, but the deal is not what we wanted, so we will continue on.

Just this morning, to make ourselves feel better, we talked through our new goal of 7 years. 7 years our two kids will graduate college and our house will be paid off, we'll have saved like crazy and we will try to sell again, but at that point, we could take a lower offer just to get out, but given our past history, each year we are worth more.

Just having a plan makes me feel better. We put things on automatic pilot so there isn't a lot to constantly figure out.

This current deal felt too early to me, I wasn't quite in the emotional place, I felt the kids were too young still with too many expenses ahead of us we hadn't completely taken care of yet - college, private school, mortgage, etc.

7 years seems do-able, we'll still be in early 50's at that point and it's short enough to not feel forever away, but far enough that I feel like we have enough time to adjust as necessary.

I now feel waaaaay better. I can handle this.

Excellent topic. We don't have a specific semi-RE date, but we are fairly close to FI. I would say over the last year that I've caught myself grinning ear-to-ear several times. I just feel so fortunate and humbled to be in this position.

I have a shade over 2 years left to go. I can see the bright light at the end of the pipe as it gets shorter. Things which used to bother me don't bug me as much. I think much of that has to do with being able to vent at the ones that have made life difficult in the past. I don't hold back as much and have become more myself at work. Used to be I did hold back and had to put up more with the difficult arrogant personalities. I think the ones that are in the middle of their careers are enjoying the path the old timers are plowing...and a bit wistful.

It will be good to leave it all behind and get on with life...not having to deal with the corrosive personalities as when working. A life where you are more in control of your total environment. And I just hate wasting time.

Last edited:
About eight months left assuming I go through with it. I don't see why I wouldn't unless there is some radical change in benefits or the economy. I can't see that happening.

Each month I look at my retirement service credits and see them go up a bit. i am a few months short of what is needed. When they hit the point that I can retire, I think I will do something very radical like only work my official hours that day, no unpaid overtime!!!

About 4 1/2 years to go....(June 2016). Sometimes seems a long way off and other times seems like it is flying by. Sometimes I have the Sunday afternoon angst....sometimes not. However, I am thankful that I'm towards the end of my career - I don't have the tolerance for "crap" that I use to :)

Dog said:
About 4 1/2 years to go....(June 2016). Sometimes seems a long way off and other times seems like it is flying by. Sometimes I have the Sunday afternoon angst....sometimes not. However, I am thankful that I'm towards the end of my career - I don't have the tolerance for "crap" that I use to :)

Hi dog, i plan on the same timeframe, are you rebalincing your portfolio to more conservative investments? I am starting

I gave the institute exactly one year from my announcement. They are free to look for my replacement and I can leave anytime. I noticed that all my stress is gone after I announced. I am no longer going to worry about the politics and bureaucracy, and my only focus is doing well in my job. They want me to help to analyze the candidates and even talk with them if they come for interview.
It has been 4 months and still no definite prospect. This is a difficult field.
There are times I feel, I hope they just find one, and at other times, I feel
I have the responsibility to inform the candidates of everything, the good, the bad and ugly.
After I announced, I kept my mouth shut 100%. I only would respond to friendly inquiries, and at that very short nice responses.
I spoke about it in a meeting and after that, nothing.
I'm very careful about not telling all the crap that are going on. and kept
an official statement that I'm retiring because, I can! I am not going to say anything good or bad, as people may think I'm bashing.
The big question is what will happen when we're getting close to 1 year.
Well, it's my ball game! I can ask for extension and there is nothing they can do but give it. If they find one before that time, I have already made up my mind I want to leave anyway.
By keeping a low profile and behaving well, despite the nefarious condition, I'm working the best to end it, and if they can't find the right person yet, I can always extent or even come back for a while as the money is good! I can also leave anytime after a year.

Another reason to retire – performance reviews

Well today my boss called, and informed me that he wants to do my final performance appraisal sometime this week, and set my next year’s goals. I told him if he’s busy, just Email it to me and I’ll sign it.

Our performance reviews are such jokes, and after 27 years of working for this company, if I don’t know what I should be doing by now it’s too late.

Happy dance :dance: last performance review – ever!

Attachments

• If spouses wrote FITREPs.jpg
    If spouses wrote FITREPs.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 19
Another reason to retire – performance reviews

Well today my boss called, and informed me that he wants to do my final performance appraisal sometime this week, and set my next year’s goals. I told him if he’s busy, just Email it to me and I’ll sign it.

Our performance reviews are such jokes, and after 27 years of working for this company, if I don’t know what I should be doing by now it’s too late.

Happy dance :dance: last performance review – ever!

When I switched from working full-time to part-time, my performance reviews became less formal. But in my last few years, they disappeared altogether which was fine with me. All I cared to know was what my raise and bonus would be.

Similarly, when I switched to part-time, I did not have to write any more performance reviews for others. That was even better than not getting any more written for me. I still had to provide feedback about subordinates to others writing their reviews, but that was fine, and I always had to do that. And I was free to write it any way I desired, as the actual reviewer would incsert it in some form into the actual performance review.

I'm so happy that I'm surrounded by so many like minded individuals here. Not necessarily due to the collection of wealth, but the drive to want a better, more free life that is a result of that. Freedom.

Cheers!

When I switched from working full-time to part-time, my performance reviews became less formal. But in my last few years, they disappeared altogether which was fine with me. All I cared to know was what my raise and bonus would be.
I never worked PT, but otherwise my experience was similar.

Performance evaluations are such a waste of time, for all concerned.

Back
Top Bottom