Join Early Retirement Today

What are the possible ways to make money other than the regular employment?
Old 11-14-2015, 01:09 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

What are the possible ways to make money other than the regular employment?

In brief I need to know if there is any new ways to make money in a way other than the regular employment.
Zolitoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2015, 01:16 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Trade the following for money:
1) Time
2) Money
3) Other people's time or money.

1) can be contract work
2) can be investments
3) can be margin investments or running a company.

The varieties are too numerous to expand and may not be even close to your capabilities.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:48 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I've done:
Restaurant reviews (sort of a mystery shopper); Free dinner--up to $120, plus $50
Ski resort reviews (same but tickets and lodging)
Speaking French as a tester for a local voice recognition company ($125 per one hour session; about $800 total)
Sold a bunch of used personal stuff (books, CDs etc) as an Amazon seller (maybe made about $2K plus decluttering the home office)

I've also done overseas consulting but that doesn't fit within your 'other than regular employment'.

Also learning/doing a lot of DIY is a great way to offset expenses; sort of free money in a way.
Old 11-14-2015, 02:43 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Legal ways?

Develop a great idea and market it or pay someone to market it (2/3 of the money from a blockbuster idea is still a lot of money).

Marry it.

Get lucky and find the next small cap that will become huge and put thousands into it, which can become millions.

I'm sure there are more, but for most people the key to eventual financial independence is applying yourself to maximize income, living below your means, and saving/investing prudently for a couple decades until the math says you're in a good position.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:03 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Winning the lottery, professional poker tournaments, prospecting for gold, marrying into money... the list is limited only by your imagination.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:18 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolitoo View Post
In brief I need to know if there is any new ways to make money in a way other than the regular employment.
Why do you want to do this?

Just get a job like everyone else.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:18 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Robbing a bank and fraud. If it doesn't work out, at least you will have free accommodation.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:22 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In BRIEF? Really? What kind of NEW ways are looking for?

If you already HAVE money it's much easier to make money in a passive manner. If you don't, well....
Old 11-14-2015, 03:25 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Robbing a bank and fraud. If it doesn't work out, at least you will have free accommodation.
Lol, uncle worked for a correctional facility after retiring from the military. He said there were a number of inmates who'd commit crimes after getting released for the free room and board.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:32 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Well, I did just watch a television show about the spread of prescription drug use. They mentioned that the street value of hydrocodone is about $70 PER PILL! So, if you can get your hands on some of those and find someone to push 'em, you could make a lot of money. And hey, if it doesn't work out, you'll get FREE room and board for MANY years!!!
Old 11-14-2015, 03:41 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I notice from your public profile that you are living in Egypt, and I gather you are Egyptian. How are the members of a primarily US forum to know what non-job opportunities exist in Egypt?

My GUESS is that you also know Egyptian and could use your English skills as a translator or tutor. But an Egyptian forum would probably come up with much better ideas.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:41 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I've mentioned this several times over the years as my back up plan. Rob a bank, either you get some money to last a while or you get free room and board.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:24 PM   #13

I still think the quickest way to vast riches is to invent an anti-gravity device. Simple, easy, and everyone on the planet will want one.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:29 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Uber driver

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I still think the quickest way to vast riches is to invent an anti-gravity device. Simple, easy, and everyone on the planet will want one.
Either that or tabletop fusion, faster-than-light travel, time travel machine, are all viable candidates to make you rich.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:20 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Well, I did just watch a television show about the spread of prescription drug use. They mentioned that the street value of hydrocodone is about $70 PER PILL! So, if you can get your hands on some of those and find someone to push 'em, you could make a lot of money. And hey, if it doesn't work out, you'll get FREE room and board for MANY years!!!
Ha! I had one of those pain pills, maybe it was hydrocodone, that made me sick so I wasn't going to finish them. A friend said I should mail them to him. I asked if I should insure it for my co-pay amount or street value. I think he was kidding...
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
tabletop fusion.
Wait a minute -- you're not one of those skeptics who have issues with Pons and Fleischmann, are you?
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:32 PM   #18
Administrator

You should try to hook up with a Nigerian. They are constantly offering to give me money for nothing more than facilitating the transfer of their funds to the US.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:50 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, absolutely not. No one has ever made a penny other than in regular employment.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:53 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I've mentioned this several times over the years as my back up plan. Rob a bank, either you get some money to last a while or you get free room and board.
And depending on your roommate, your free room and board may include a free dating service and an opportunity to be more popular than at any other time in your life!