Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What did you want to be when you grew up?
Old 02-27-2007, 03:59 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I wanted to be an artist or a writer until I realized that only ~2% of creative people can earn a living at it. Maybe in ER I will achieve my childhood dream!
This is why I enjoy financial independence. I have all the time I can muster to paint and daydream on these projects. Even now, with retirement I still run out of time!

Quote:
I still do a lot of art design type stuff through textiles though. I am designing a quilt now and my passion is slowly taking over my life. I doubt I could have made much of a living at it but I have been published in some magazines.
Congratulations on being published in the magazines. I imagine that is pretty competitive. I love textile art. I paint fabrics and do mixed media assemblage. Peaceful. Let's my mind unravel and relax.

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2007, 09:37 AM   #62
Dryer sheet wannabe

When I was a very little girl I wanted to be a nurse or ballerina. When I reached my teens I wanted to be an artist. By the time I had to decide what the heck I was going to do to make a living, I went into library science because I figured it would be OK until I figured out what I really wanted to do. (My dad was a librarian, and I had worked as a page during high school) I think, deep down, all I really wanted to do was be retired, i.e., stay at home and do the stuff I really like doing, like gardening and reading, cooking and knitting, maybe a little traveling. A few more months and that's what I'll be doing.

Sheboyganite

Old 03-01-2007, 10:26 AM   #63

I guess we are pretty fortunate in this day and age to have a choice as to what we want to do for careers. Or at least to change them if we feel so inclined.

I didn't get that sort of feeling about, say, our Father's generation or their Father's generation. It was a matter of getting food on the table and raising the kids.

Dreams, if any survived, were relegated to after work hours, after maintenance was done, and after bills were paid.

It was hard for me to know what I wanted to do when I grew up because
1.) that dream kept changing
2.) I thought I had to decide what I wanted to do for the 'next 40 years' and that sort of deflated me.

I'm a very hard worker, and have been blessed with multiple talents. But the idea of 'doing the same thing' for 40 years was a real spirit killer for me. :P

Anyone else feel that way?

Be well,
Akaisha
Old 03-01-2007, 11:22 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
It was hard for me to know what I wanted to do when I grew up because
1.) that dream kept changing
2.) I thought I had to decide what I wanted to do for the 'next 40 years' and that sort of deflated me.

I'm a very hard worker, and have been blessed with multiple talents. But the idea of 'doing the same thing' for 40 years was a real spirit killer for me. :P
Well Said, Akaisha! That is it on the nail! Thanks for identifying the how/why of this particular struggle. I've been serially employed since high school, but never at anything I'd say I would want to do for more than a few years! FIRE is the only occupation that I think would suit me, long term!
Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:14 PM   #65

Thanks, Sarah...

My Father had passion for his career and did it for 30 years (working for the family business), until at the ripe old age of 55, he moved to California and became self employed in a completely different capacity. I have great respect for my folks for being so adventurous and at that age in life.

However, I always had this idea that I 'should' have a straight-lined-focus on a career that I could throw myself into with unbridled passion... : (like my Dad) or else I was a 'flake'

Thing is, I DO throw myself into work, but I have many things I am passionate about. How could I possibly choose only one of them? That's like saying I could only eat vanilla ice cream for the rest of my life or only steak or something. I would feel like I'm in jail...

The other thing is... how does an 18-23 year old possibly know what he/she wants to do career-wise for the rest of their lives? Go to college, pay those college fees, and then get 'stuck' in the career they chose when they were a kid?

I admire it, but I couldn't do it. 8)

Be well,
Akaisha

Old 03-01-2007, 05:14 PM   #66

I always wanted to be an MD - thats why my BS is in biochemistry. After graduating college I decided to take a year off and "do" the USA on a motorcycle w/ friends. We ran out of money/gas in S.CA and got jobs. When I got my Pharma job - co. car, expense account, freedom....and was good at it.....the thought of 4 more years of school and many years till real money, as usual I took the easier path......as usual - I'm glad I did.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:53 PM   #67

I wanted to be a pro football player. Not big enough, fast enough, tough enough, good enough.....ah, reality, but that was my dream.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #68

Quote:
I always wanted to be an MD - thats why my BS is in biochemistry. After graduating college I decided to take a year off and "do" the USA on a motorcycle w/ friends. We ran out of money/gas in S.CA and got jobs. When I got my Pharma job - co. car, expense account, freedom....and was good at it.....the thought of 4 more years of school and many years till real money, as usual I took the easier path......as usual - I'm glad I did.
There's a lot to be said for that approach, tho' Donzo...

I admire perseverance, commitment to a goal, busting through limitations set by life's circumstances, manifesting one's dream according to one's passion, etc.... on the other hand there is something to be said for 'flow' and being in it.

I have had experience with both manners in living my life. They each have different types of satisfactions.

I commend you! Honestly!

Be well,
Akaisha
Old 03-05-2007, 11:02 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Had not the slightest idea up to the end of high school (work counselor was a drunk). Then I studied to be a Experimental Psychologist, as a Behavioral Scientist, up to grad school (blew it when I flirted with the department head's mistress, and got recognized). Then I spend much time and $$ getting a Ph.D., so I could be an Experimental Speech Scientist. Did that one for 12 years, until the whole field imploded (talk to the Electrical Engineers, if you want to speak to your computer). Followed that with a small business in Information Search/Microcomputer Databases. Then a decade long 'dark age' (don't ask, it was awful). Finally ended up being a clinical Speech Pathologist for 15 years. Retired and FIREd 3 years ago, and now I couldn't tell you the difference between a vowel and a consonant, and don't care. Was able to fix things so that DW could retire, too, this year.

Rep.ro.bate
N.
A morally unprincipled person.
One who is predestined to damnation.
Adj.
Morally unprincipled; shameless.
Rejected by God and without hope of Salvation.
Syn.
Vicious; bad man; disapproved; sinner.

If thee dost not approve of what I say or write,
Thou mayst go pound sand in a rat-hole!
Old 03-06-2007, 04:42 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

When I was a little boy I wanted to be grown up.
Now that I am grown up I want to be a little boy.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:01 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Heard in a comedy act a few years back....

Why do you think adults are always asking kids what they want to be when they grow up? They're looking for ideas.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:38 AM   #72
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why I remember exactly what I aspired to become, way back in the 50s:

I wanted to work in a windowless building, doing meaningless tasks, listening to mindless managers, spouting useless drivel about doing thankless tasks during endless meetings.

Afterwards, I wanted them to pay me for the rest of my life. So far, so good.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:45 AM   #73
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
So far, so good.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:25 AM   #74

i had no idea then and no idea now!

i enjoy my work, like the people i work with and it makes it all worth the while - but if you were asking if i were working in my dream career - i'd say - i don't know!

my 4 yr old daughter on the other hand, wants to be a zoologist...and asked the other day, what zoo should she work at? she thinks working (feeding, scooping scat! ) is an amazing opportunity! i'll give you an update in 20 years to see if she makes it...
Old 03-07-2007, 11:43 AM   #75

I wanted to be a starving artist living the bohemian life in NYC......I still wonder how I ended up in Corporate America!
Today.....I am an artist, a writer, a sprouting garderner, and subsidize my hobbies by working as an Executive Assistant.
In the future, I would like to be a teacher/teacher's aide and spend my summer's gardening and hammocking away under the sun.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:11 PM   #76

Quote:
Why do you think adults are always asking kids what they want to be when they grow up? They're looking for ideas.
Love it! Ain't that the truth?

Akaisha
Old 03-08-2007, 03:47 AM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

I wanted to become a medical doctor. But then I realized you had to be smart to do that, so I went to business school instead. But no regrets.

A long time ago, I also had a fantasy that I would marry a world-renown Professor who traveled the world and attended many important conferences to impart his vast knowledge. That didn't happen either. I think it would've been nice, but no regrets there, either.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:43 AM   #78

Age 5-17...I told EVERYBODY I was going to be a brain surgeon...later discovered this was a "neurosurgeon" - which sounded even better. Spent all night of my 18th birthday crying because I realized I did not want to be in college for the next 12 years - or on call thereafter....

age 18...switched those goals to become a lawyer...til I looked at all the history & other boring classes

age 18-29....mechanical engineering was the bomb!! Loved the classes (physics is phun!)

However, learned something along the way....I am a people person! Discovered my true calling as a recruiter then on to Veterans counselor! Love it! (whew!)

Some folks never get to match their interests and aptitudes with their livlihood - thank God that clicked in time!
Old 03-08-2007, 10:34 PM   #79

OK - this can be scary - I had an assignment in 6th grade which asked us to write an essay on where we would be ten years later. I wrote:

Graduating from Ariz State Univ with a degree in mechanical engineering (Back then I didn't even know what it was--just that my Dad was one - Daddy's girl!)

Living in CA

Snow skiing a lot

Guess what - it all happened that way - so, I guess I knew what I wanted and then it became manifest. I'm actually a biomedical engineer now....but do lots of different types of engineering in general.

I redid the ten year timeframe and added twenty and thirty years after getting my masters........I'm on my way ten-fifteen years later. I've now added yearly 'goals' lists.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:35 PM   #80

In grade school I wanted to be a sleuth like Nancy Drew. When I was in high school I wanted to be a PE teacher (but my mom said that wasn't a real job). Anyway...after HS graduation I started with megcorp and was fortunate to work in many different jobs over the years and earn a business degree. Fast forward, after too many years in megacorp I'm in a downshifting mode preparing for ER and have studied/certifided to work in the fitness industry (also working PT in a small studio for experience). Not sure where I will take it, but I do feel like I am fulfilling an aspiration.