Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-23-2016, 06:08 AM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Fully retired. Only downside is no days off.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2016, 06:28 AM   #222
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Fully retired. Only downside is no days off.
but every day is a holiday!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:17 PM   #223
gone traveling

We are working now to support two kids in college. We could be retired right Now on passive income from rentals but the long term risk of increasing health care expenses keeps one or both of our feet tied to corporate health insurance benefits.
Once kids are done with higher education we plan to use the empty nester years as a turbo charge to the retirement accounts. Depending on how much money we can stash, and how good the stock market performs will help us determine how quickly we can cut the cord😘 one of us has always worked for the man while the other pursued self employment in stages.
We are conservative that way.

--ZG
zerogravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:11 PM   #224
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:23 PM   #225
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I got a watch that shows the day, month and year because otherwise I couldn't remember what day it was.

I like to avoid the grocery stores on weekends due to the crowds.
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:50 AM   #226

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerogravity View Post
We are working now to support two kids in college....

Once kids are done with higher education we plan to use the empty nester years as a turbo charge to the retirement accounts. ....

--ZG
We had three in private colleges simultaneously (only paid for four years each). After the last one graduated, we for the first time truly understood emotionally/subjectively that we make a lot of money. Savings have been supercharged and I finally was able to say something other than "four or five more years" to DW.

Hope it works as well for you.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:19 PM   #227
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am a CPA currently employed as a Vice President of Finance for an Energy company. Age 55 earn $200,000 per year. Plan to retire in the next 3 to 5 months. DW is already retired and pressing me to retire asap. We plan to travel, exercise, improve our golf game, take some classes at the local junior college,and improve our dancing. Also have a Motor Home we plan to take across the country. Long term we are going to visit a few retirement havens such as Panama, Costa Rica or South France to see if this might be a place we would like to live for periods of time. I currently max out my 401K contributions and save an additional 5,000 per month in after tax funds. No debt and $1,700,000 in liquid assets. Hope to work about 500 hours per year as a financial consultant until 60.
Green Hornet 21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:52 PM   #228
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianeboatman View Post
We all dream of retiring early here on this site. I'm curious, what do you do for a living? What kind of money do you make? And finally, what percentage of your wages are being invested to retire "early"?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Small business owner, currently take a salary of $100k, though my business makes more than that. I'd say I've put in 20-30% of my income in to either my business or some type of business for a while, now everything's paid for " home, etc ", I can probably push that to close to 50%, probably could do more than that but we like to travel, so...
OneDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:48 PM   #229
Give me a forum ...

I own a business and a commercial building. Targeting a 2021 (58 years old at that point) retirement as I sell my share of the business over the next 5 years. The building will probably stay with me for at least another 12 -15 years. We also have an eBay store on the side.
Income from the business is $275,000/ year plus a car, expenses, 401k and insurance. Income from the buyout is about $100,000/year. The commercial building throws off about $180,000 year, but that is all eaten up by the property taxes, upkeep and the mortgage. Payoff date is 2026. After that 2/3rd's will convert to income. The eBay biz generates about $6,000 a year.
We save about 50%++ of our take home for retirement. Plus all the buy out. EBay goes to vacations.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:09 PM   #230

Naval Officer at around 17 years, surface warfare with a nuclear engineering subspecialty. Approaching command tour. My pay is a matter of public record. :-)

DW is a director of gymnastics at a local YMCA with thousands of girls in her program.

We save roughly 45% of our gross every year.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:25 AM   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Oddly, despite the tough going, I still have good feelings toward the USAF, and thoroughly enjoy my occasional visits to bases. I would guess that any former military members here will understand that.
I suspect that's because in the navy (I can't speak for the army or air force), one usually works as a part of a team, towards a common goal … whereas civilian employment has much more of an 'every man for himself' ethos.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:31 PM   #232
Recycles dryer sheets

I own a small chain of 4 coffee shops and a small strip mall that one is in, I used to work for the state in Human services while I was building up the business,so small pension eventually an added plus is low cost insurance in one year when my wife hits 55. I am trying to minimize my involvement a much a possible while my wife is as involved as ever.
highlow65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:46 PM   #233

Quit HS in the 10th grade, bounced from low paying job's while living job to job, paycheck to paycheck, hitchhiked from NY to AL and back to NY. Took and passed test for my GED. Worked doing roofing and siding, landed an apprenticeship in the painters union good job until the late 80's when the construction boom bombed. In 1990 got a job with NY state as a diesel mechanic, got promoted to supervisor, got promoted again to Superintendent, got promoted again to Assistant General Superintendent. Was on the way to my next promotion when diagnosed with the big "C". Took off work for 6 months for treatment, thank goodness for sick time. Went back to work and 2 months later voluntarily demoted back in job title 10% cut in pay but a ton less stress, had enough time in higher job as not change my pension. My boss sent me to a nice quite out of the way location. Finished my last 2 years and packed it in 12/02/15. Pension based on $110,000 and full medical for life. Not to shabby for only having a GED. Life worked out despite my best efforts at sabotage early on.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:14 AM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Ya but you could buy a soda, hamburger, and a gallon of gas to go buy it for a nickel. Try feeling peer pressured into buying a $40 Izod off of $2.30 an hour. Heck 30 years later the same shirt is cheaper now than it was then!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My step father caught a ride to the mill each day with James Arness (Marshall Dillon) in the 30's. A few years prior to that his mom would give him a quarter. 5 cents for the bus ride downtown (Mpls), 5 cents for the movie, 5 cents for a sundae at Bridgeman's and 5 cents for the bus ride home. Of course his mom wanted the nickel change when he got home.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:55 AM   #235
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
5 cents for the bus ride downtown (Mpls), 5 cents for the movie, 5 cents for a sundae at Bridgeman's and 5 cents for the bus ride home. Of course his mom wanted the nickel change when he got home.
Interesting how those prices have changed relative to each other. Imagine paying as much for a bus ride as for the movies today. You could probably take a cab instead.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:30 AM   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISP View Post
Interesting how those prices have changed relative to each other. Imagine paying as much for a bus ride as for the movies today. You could probably take a cab instead.
So I'm guessing here, but I would think 2-3 bucks for a bus ride, 5-6 bucks for the Bridgeman's sundae (do they still have Bridgeman's in the Midwest?) and about 8-10 bucks for the movie. Matinee maybe 6 bucks.

During pre marriage counseling in 1992 the guy told us he had just paid 37.5K for a Suburban. He said his mom said that was strange because she and dad paid 37.5 for their first house (early 60's SoCal).

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:45 AM   #237
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
So I'm guessing here, but I would think 2-3 bucks for a bus ride, 5-6 bucks for the Bridgeman's sundae (do they still have Bridgeman's in the Midwest?) and about 8-10 bucks for the movie. Matinee maybe 6 bucks.
In Boston Matinee's are $12.50/$11, normal seats are $14/$12.50 for an Adult/Senior. Might be able to get a little cheaper if you head to the suburbs...
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:51 AM   #238
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
In Boston Matinee's are $12.50/$11, normal seats are $14/$12.50 for an Adult/Senior. Might be able to get a little cheaper if you head to the suburbs...

The local movie theatre in my town is $4 every night, with first run movies. I usually head to a theatre about 10 miles away for a better audio experience and they are $8. The prices are almost loss leaders to get you to buy the popcorn and soda and make their money that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:01 AM   #239
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
The prices are almost loss leaders to get you to buy the popcorn and soda and make their money that way.
And that is why when I was growing up my mother would pack snack bags for us that we had to smuggle into the theater!
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:56 PM   #240
Give me a forum ...

Bummer dude. Ma always gave me extra dough so I could buy a small bag of (unbuttered) but fresh popcorn.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote