Join Early Retirement Today

In Nevada, Las Vegas is called "VEGAS"
Old 11-24-2014, 01:41 PM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado

In Nevada, Las Vegas is called "VEGAS"

I hope you enjoy your trip to Nevada. I live in northern Nevada and wouldn't ever want to live "down south". Yes, people who live in Las Vegas call it "Vegas". If you get off of the strip, you can find good food deals still. On the strip, you'll pay top dollar. Check out Freemont Street. It's the older part of Vegas and still has some cool places and deals. The commercials are all LIES. What you do in Vegas will haunt you for life. STD's, criminal records and scars will all follow you home. Good luck.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2014, 01:47 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

1966 - 1993. 8k - 61k. Saved various amounts from day one. One and a half yr over 100k as a temp in 1995/6.

A 30 yr overnight success thanks to the effect of investing early and often - time in the market, power of compounding, etc. 401k and indexing were not available for me til late 1976 or so.

heh heh heh - no gifts, inheritances, great stock picks - just the tortoise.

American SST, Skylab, Viking Mars Mission, Space Shuttle - a grunt in a sea of grunts.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:51 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianeboatman View Post
We all dream of retiring early here on this site. I'm curious, what do you do for a living? What kind of money do you make? And finally, what percentage of your wages are being invested to retire "early"?
I retired 3 years ago. I'm an accountant by background and worked in public accounting, internal audit, real estate development for a Fortune 500 company, chief accounting officer for a mid-sized life insurer and then in M&A consulting for one of the Big 4 accounting firms. I'd rather not be too specific on earnings but I was into six figures the last 1/3 of my 34 year career.

I never really had a savings target other than to max out my 401k- we lived frugally (but not miserly) and saved whatever was left over.

Since I see we have a couple actuaries here, I worked closely with life and P&C actuaries in my last two jobs and was occasionally accused of being a closet actuary or actuarial wanna-be..... to which I responded that was unlikely since I had enough personality to be an accountant. Just kidding....
Old 11-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was a software engineer for the Dept of Defense for 25 years.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #45

Currently a partial leech on society. The SS part I leech on is the part I had no option but to pay into. The rest is investments and whopping $28.95 per month pension for life from a defined benefit plan of Columbia University in NY.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #46

Quote:
The commercials are all LIES. What you do in Vegas will haunt you for life. STD's, criminal records and scars will all follow you home. Good luck.
Awww, that sure busted my bubble.

I was a police officer, started in 1973 at $11k, ended in 2002 at just over $70k/year. Savings rate varied but at the end with DW it was just under 50% (48% I think, but can't remember for sure). After patrol (everybody starts in patrol) I did fraud investigation and that morphed into computer crime/forensics.

I could retire because of the excellent pension, the likes of which aren't being offered any more and haven't been since the early 1980's. Oh, and divorced my first wife in 1983-84 when I refused to take out a loan to go on a trip, among other things.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

21 years in the USAF, during which I did 16 completely different jobs. Absolutely the most unusual career I ever heard of, confirmed by all my friends in the military.

A few were technically considered "additional duties" but not in the normal way. I frequently had two full-time jobs at once. The plus side was that I was never, ever bored, and always had stuff to learn. The minus side was that I worked so many hours I had hardly any "real life" during that period. 12-hour days were normal, with at least a one-hour commute at each end.

I once had a heart-to-heart chat with a sympathetic general, who acknowledged that I was being taken advantage of. Most of my jobs were in new, strange career fields that I had no training for, replacing someone who had just been fired for incompetence. The general said "Face it, you're a great troubleshooter, and they're rare birds."

As a result, I retired nearly as soon as I could, being utterly burnt out. Oddly, despite the tough going, I still have good feelings toward the USAF, and thoroughly enjoy my occasional visits to bases. I would guess that any former military members here will understand that.

Afterward, I spent 12 years in the civilian world, doing mostly technical writing for custom software. I thoroughly enjoyed that (again, constantly learning new things), but when I realized I was FI, it was time to RE.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:19 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I hope you enjoy your trip to Nevada. I live in northern Nevada and wouldn't ever want to live "down south". Yes, people who live in Las Vegas call it "Vegas". If you get off of the strip, you can find good food deals still. On the strip, you'll pay top dollar. Check out Freemont Street. It's the older part of Vegas and still has some cool places and deals. The commercials are all LIES. What you do in Vegas will haunt you for life. STD's, criminal records and scars will all follow you home. Good luck.

I go to sports bet 5-6 times a year and northern Nevada Reno/Tahoe is my preference as people are friendlier and people traffic is less. But flying to get there is such a PIA, so I usually go to Vegas. I have gotten too old I guess, because I quit going to Freemont a few years ago. Too many weirdos for me. But then again, I don't go to party and chase tail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2014, 05:30 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

Since I see we have a couple actuaries here, I worked closely with life and P&C actuaries in my last two jobs and was occasionally accused of being a closet actuary or actuarial wanna-be..... to which I responded that was unlikely since I had enough personality to be an accountant. Just kidding....
Funny! In my last "career" job I was mistaken for an actuary by the Chief Investment Officer of a life insurer.

- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:37 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I worked in "finance". I had various positions over the years in auditing and analysis type functions. I always targeted to save/invest a third of my income. LBYM.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Funny! In my last "career" job I was mistaken for an actuary by the Chief Investment Officer of a life insurer.
Guess that he had bad Information....
pun intended.

-gauss
Old 11-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I both worked in IT for 27 years. Not retired yet. I am a software developer by trade; DW is a project manager.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:06 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Guess that he had bad Information....
pun intended.

-gauss
Oops -- I misread the original comment. Thought it was the Chief Information Officer.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:52 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Started out my career as a Metrologist (USAF), then taught it for the military, then ran a corporate metrology laboratory overseas supporting IT/Communications: did that for 23 years (1988 to 2011).
Have been performing duties involving Safety and IT/Communications management for the last 3 years which will continue until retirement in 2017 (2011 to 2017).
Currently make around $230K per year and save/invest about 70% per year.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:04 PM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Various IT marketing, consulting, and tech support jobs for the same MegaCorp (with both internal and external clients) for 35+ years. My current base salary is 11x of my base salary when hired. Currently saving/investing about 30% of income this year (normally we are in the 35-40% range but decided to "splurge" on some home/lifestyle improvements this year).
Old 11-27-2014, 02:17 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

What do you do for a living?

Admin Asst/$79K Sal/Bay Area/Saves 17.5K in 401(k) + 5.5K in Roth. Not an easy feat here, but I treat retirement savings like debt to the mafia. I pay now for my future survival.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-27-2014, 02:56 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2035 View Post
I treat retirement savings like debt to the mafia. I pay now for my future survival.
Best LBYM quote of the year! 👏
Old 11-27-2014, 06:44 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

This is a great thread. I enjoy reading how others got to their retirement goals. It would be nice to hear from some average working stiffs, if there are any who got to their retirement number without a high tech, high paying job at a "mega corp" with all kinds of stock options, pensions, bonuses and so forth. I remember a story about a pizza delivery guy on here a while back that was inspiring.

As I read through some of the job titles listed by other posters I was reminded of something funny that happened to me a while back. My high school sent out a survey a number of years after graduation to find out what, where and how everyone was doing. One of the questions was what you were currently doing for employment. Two of my friends had the same job working for the same company. One of them wrote down sanitation transfer engineer, the other simply put "garbage hauler". Apparently the first guy was trying to impress someone!

To answer the OP. My wife and I are both self employed in our small contracting business. Our income varies greatly along with our savings percentage. We save as much as possible and we put a lot of thought into what we spend so we get the best bang for our money. We don't necessarily buy the cheapest of everything. We plan to retire In 2019 we will be 47 years old. All of the calculators say that we are good to go now but I still somewhat enjoy certain aspects of our business.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:07 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quite a few different things over the years from high school to FIRE...

Mother's helper for a family
Babysitter
Leaf raker and garden weed puller for neighbors
Housecleaner
Taco girl at Jack-in-the-Box
Food service worker for NYS
Small engine and automotive mechanic (summer jobs)
Physics department laboratory assistant (college work-study grant)
Substitute math/science teacher
Hardware department clerk for Montgomery Ward
Housecleaner
Computer programmer
Computer system manager
Engineer - final j*b before FIRE

The real money started when I got j*bs in the techie field. Final salary was $78K.

I saved all I could over the years and started investing in 1988 via the TSP and private sector mutual funds in 1997. I FIREd in 2007 on a survivor pension (CSRS) and converted my TSP plan into an immediate fixed annuity. I just applied for and received my own FERS MRA+10 govt pension at age 56.

Today ? Any damn thing I want to do, minus the paycheck.
VA Volunteer
Home gardener
Small scale benefactor to worthy causes
Old 11-27-2014, 08:14 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Oops -- I misread the original comment. Thought it was the Chief Information Officer.
I'm glad you clarified that - I didn't get it and thought it might be me.