Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-16-2015, 11:09 AM   #141
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired Librarian, but always a Librarian at heart. I made what I considered good money but then again I live in the San Francisco Bay Area so it was chump change, could never buy a house for one thing.

I get my money now from my city government pension fund that I paid into for 28 years and from a 457 account that I cashed out so I could have ready cash to put a down on a house/townhouse/condo at some future date in some other location.

Was able to retire early (54.5) because of my decision to become a manager (higher pay, therefore higher pension) for 3 years prior to retirement and for the incredible, unheard of fact that employees from my period of employment get 100% paid medical for life.

Lucky and grateful.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2015, 06:49 PM   #142
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am a Systems Engineer with the US Dept of the Army. I also co-own an SAT/ACT test prep business with my wife. She is a high school history teacher. This keeps incredibly busy.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Old 05-27-2015, 08:47 PM   #143
Full time employment: Posting here.

SAP consultant at a startup specializing in virtualization, part owner, plus still have my own LLC 100% owned

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-01-2015, 01:45 PM   #144
Confused about dryer sheets

Software Dev
Old 06-02-2015, 07:59 PM   #145
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Engineer married to Engineer.

Money are mighty fine and we save about 40%.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:01 PM   #146
Recycles dryer sheets

CPA - tax planner (hence my handle).

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-08-2015, 06:23 PM   #147

My husband retired over a year ago from a university management job. I just retired from directing a nonprofit.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-08-2015, 06:28 PM   #148
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Collect SS and Wellesley/Wellington dividends.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:05 AM   #149
Recycles dryer sheets

Started my working career with a paper route and progressed through the usual assortment of part-time student jobs. Traditional college graduate with a B.S. in a field that I never worked in. Two careers. First 9 years working civil service and then professional positions at two different state universities. Still have the pension and most of the 401k money from that period. Loved the atmosphere of working on a college campus, but pay and hours weren't the best.

Went back to school for computer science in late '90s. Got an internship at my current megacorp, received a job offer at roughly twice my previous salary and took the money, never completing the second degree. Generous benefits package when I started in '98 which has seen steady cuts during my career. Lucky to still have pension plus small 401k match and possible access to retiree health care subsidy if I can hang on until 55. Base salary of $125k now as an IT project manager with highly variable annual profit sharing on top of that. Like other singles, my budget is roughly 1/3 taxes, 1/3 savings, and 1/3 spending. Best year was saving 41% of gross.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:52 PM   #150
Full time employment: Posting here.

Former Alchemist, now spending down the balance of my Mojo.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:59 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
Former Alchemist, now spending down the balance of my Mojo.
good one
Old 06-18-2015, 04:57 PM   #152
Dryer sheet aficionado

First military, then nurse, now police woman.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:29 PM   #153
Dryer sheet wannabe

Police dispatcher for the past 12 years. How many years left is between 15-20, depending on how bad I want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-25-2015, 10:36 AM   #154
Recycles dryer sheets

Senator, that's the way to go! I currently own 3 rentals and I want to get 3 more. My goal is to pay off all rentals in the next 15 years and be able to get approximately $9,000 a month of rental income. What do you think?
Old 07-25-2015, 01:10 PM   #155
Dryer sheet wannabe

Respiratory Therapist for 20 years, worked night shift and slept all the time so I didn't do much other than work and sleep. Started and now run a business. Replaced my w2 income with business income and grew more than I could imagine. Now an employer and a student of life, money and tax code. Oh how life has changed from those first 20 years.

Young dreamers, always learn, ignore neigh sayers and keep dreaming and working toward your goal until you get it.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:34 PM   #156
Recycles dryer sheets

Enjoyed reading how everybody arrived here.

-

IT

Started at about $12K in 1980. Ending salary about 10x. Loved my job till 2012. Quit in 2015. Now a happy stay-at-home-spouse, trying to give DW rest from the tasks in and around home. I am not as good as DW at many tasks but she is OK as long as she doesn't have to do the work.

We were always LBYM. In 1990 I made a plan to retire in 2016 but got out one year earlier. Serious saving started in 1990.

DW is a teacher in a Montessori school ($40+K), still working.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:14 PM   #157
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm a nurse and DH is a cook. I make 38k and he makes 30k. I know that's not much, but we live in a low COL area. Right now, we're only saving 12% of our income, because we are furiously throwing money at our debt. (We only owe on our house and one car. Another car is already paid off and we have no student loan or credit card debt. I'm very proud of this since I just celebrated my 28th birthday last week and DH is only 29.) After the car and house are paid off, which will hopefully be within 5 years, I plan on ramping up our savings to 25-40% of our income.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #158
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyj05 View Post
I'm a nurse and DH is a cook. I make 38k and he makes 30k. I know that's not much, but we live in a low COL area. Right now, we're only saving 12% of our income, because we are furiously throwing money at our debt.
I think I could make an argument that paying off mortgage and car loan debt IS a form of savings.

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction!

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:03 PM   #159
Dryer sheet aficionado

Now that you say that, I think it is, also! Thank you!
Old 07-28-2015, 02:27 PM   #160
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyj05 View Post
I'm a nurse and DH is a cook. I make 38k and he makes 30k. I know that's not much, but we live in a low COL area. Right now, we're only saving 12% of our income, because we are furiously throwing money at our debt. (We only owe on our house and one car. Another car is already paid off and we have no student loan or credit card debt. I'm very proud of this since I just celebrated my 28th birthday last week and DH is only 29.) After the car and house are paid off, which will hopefully be within 5 years, I plan on ramping up our savings to 25-40% of our income.
amy, Like your DH I was a cook in my early 20's. Started my 30 year career (retail sales) at 24 for $4.50 per hour. I never made over 79k in salary but have now crossed 1.5 mil in investments. LBYM and pay yourself first does work in the long term.
Keep at it and good luck.