Join Early Retirement Today

What does Generation X want?
Old 02-06-2006, 10:52 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What does Generation X want?

Interesting article, but I'm not so sure it's all that accurate.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/17/news...genx/index.htm

He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: What does Generation X want?
Old 02-06-2006, 11:46 AM   #2

I thought I had been hearing this for years (from every age group) that money wasnt the overriding factor in job satisfaction.

Old 02-06-2006, 05:55 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think I speak with authority when I say that generation X wants a beer and to see something naked.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:28 PM   #4

..hopefully of the opposite sex, but after Brokeback Mountain, what do I know.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:32 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
I think I speak with authority when I say that generation X wants a beer and to see something naked.
But how would that differentiate them from any other generation?!?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:35 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Thus proving my point that each generation really isnt that different from another...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:53 PM   #7

Dave894: *I've read a number of your posts, mostly belly-aching about your lot in life. (Generationally speaking).

My two daughters, age 39, and 35, are well adjusted, happy in their job and life, and I'm thankful that they don't share your "poor me" attitude.

My wife was a stay at home mom, and if your attitude is any indication of what the long range effects are of two working spouses on children,
it goes a long ways towards reinforcing our decision.

The laugh at the end was intended to let you know that I don't think that's your real problem.

Try spending a little more time making yourself valuable to your employer, and a little less time
"whining" to an internet board, and I'll guarantee your attitude will improve. (And you'll be better company)

Take Care, Jarhead

Old 02-06-2006, 07:31 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*

Dave894: I've read a number of your posts, mostly belly-aching about your lot in life. (Generationally speaking).
Jarhead, I want to compliment you. No, not for taking Dave to task about his whining, but for the restraint you showed. Even though the temptation must have been overwhelming, not once did you resort to "son, when I was your age..."

Remarkable self-restraint.

PS: My two daughters, age 34, and 30, are well adjusted, happy in their jobs and life, and I'm also thankful that they don't share a "poor me" attitude.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:42 PM   #9

If Gen X is those born 1964 - 1977 per this article, and boomers were 1945 - 1960 what are those poor lost souls who were left out of the whole equation??
Old 02-06-2006, 07:53 PM   #10

Maybe I am different from those described in the article. "Sure" is what I say in response to the article. People fill out BS answers all the time to those surveys. Dangle a lot more money in front of just about anyone, especially young people trying to accumulate wealth, and they will sell their souls to the corporate devil - become institutionalized.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard
..hopefully of the opposite sex, but after Brokeback Mountain, what do I know.
Howard, wow, pretty brave for admitting that a) you have seen Brokeback Mountain (in theater I presume) and b) that after Brokeback Mountain your opinions are not as firm as they were before.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:37 PM   #12

From the article: "So chemical maker W.L. Gore (No. 5 on the list) retains bright young engineers and technical-salespeople in part because of what the company calls its "lattice" (versus ladder-like) organization chart, which has no top or bottom."

I've seen companies try this and never seen it work worth a d@mn for more than a few months. Lazy deadbeats love lattice organizations because it is impossible to identify who is ineffective. Driven workers like it at first because everyone wants them on their team. They get tied into the lattice everywhere and gain the illusion of having influence. Then they find out that there is no more credit for being a hard working success than there is for being a lazy deadbeat.

Then there's this: " . . .The firm's policy is that its highest paid employee can earn no more than 10 times the salary of its lowest-paid employee."

Kinda sets the maximum work effort you might be willing to put forth.

Maybe I should go through the companies described in the article and look into shorting all of them.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:05 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew894
There are a lot of people on this board who make assumptions about things which they have no idea about (especially when it comes to people). *Perhaps it is the egotistical independent nature of people...
Nah, we're just a bunch of nerdy INTJs that don't get out much...
Old 02-06-2006, 10:32 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Well, to get this thread back on topic...

I gotta say that I keep hearing the "you need recognition" thing at work, coming from my baby-boomer boss. And what do I think to myself? "Who cares?". I'm sure he's correct, in a large company that is certainly how one would "move up". But like the article says, its all about the people you work with, and the chance to work on new and interesting projects. Both of which I've lucked into in my engineering job. That and the whole work/life balance thing.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eryx
. . .But like the article says, its all about the people you work with, and the chance to work on new and interesting projects.* . .
If that's really how you feel, you should do volunteer work. Volunteer organizations I've worked with are filled with really interesting, diverse personalities and the work is always more interesting (and rewarding) than contributing to the profit margin of a big company.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:15 AM   #16

I'm surprised none of the old timers (with all due respect intended) seized upon the following quote from the article:

Quote:
As for the old-fangled idea of paying one's dues in a dull job before moving up to something sexier, forget it...
As a Gen Xer, I complained about paying my dues in a dull job, not realizing that I was actually learning something in the process which would later turn out to be useful.* With that said, I can also tell you that I was the recipient of more than my fair share of scut work that taught me nothing, but which a more senior person didn't feel like doing.

Along those same lines:

Quote:
On the first point, notes Shelton, "Gen Xers are suspicious of hierarchies. Rank and seniority mean nothing to them. They want to participate as equals."
I'm not so sure that Gen Xers are resistant to the idea of hierarchies, rank or seniority.* Rather, they probably have a much better perspective on who truly should be ranked above them in the hierarchy.* Like any other employee who is "on the line" or "in the trenches", it's difficult to take directions from someone who doesn't share (and perhaps has never shared) the same perspective.* Put differently, Gen Xers don't respect people who haven't been in their shoes, or in other cases, never earned their seniority and the respect that comes with it.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:36 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew894

*If you raised your children to believe that spending half of their time paying taxes and incurring expenses to produce income is perfectly acceptable and reasonable, that was your decision. *The Heritage/WSJ survey for 2005 says that the fiscal burden the US government imposes on it's citizens is one of the most burdensome in the world (bottom quartile). *
Dave, what country/government do you think has achieved a good balance of taxes and benefits?
I've lived a part of my adult life in two other countries ( one Asian, one European) and IMO Americans are a blessed lot, mainly because of the available opportunities and infrastructure.

Maybe Gen X-er's want blissful lives. Interesting, but no suffering. Exciting, but no pain. Happy, but happiness should be automatic, granted, and guaranteed. At least that's what I would conclude from what I see in clinic (selection bias).
Old 02-07-2006, 07:52 AM   #18

Quote:
As a Gen Xer, I complained about paying my dues in a dull job, not realizing that I was actually learning something in the process which would later turn out to be useful.* With that said, I can also tell you that I was the recipient of more than my fair share of scut work that taught me nothing, but which a more senior person didn't feel like doing.
I think that "paying your dues" is overrated. Sure, the first couple of years are learning but my current job wasnt like that. I was given responsibility and told to go to it. I wasnt put in a cubicle and told to look through a stack of files and watch the clock. If that happens, I think it is more an indication of an unorganized employer or you not warming up to your peers.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
If Gen X is those born 1964 - 1977 per this article, and boomers were 1945 - 1960 what are those poor lost souls who were left out of the whole equation??
I'm one of them I was born in 62. I hope to God that qualifies me as a baby boomer. I indentify with boomers much better than Xers.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:49 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsOfVeal
Howard, wow, pretty brave for admitting that a) you have seen Brokeback Mountain (in theater I presume) and b) that after Brokeback Mountain your opinions are not as firm as they were before.
The heterosexual mans guide to 'brokeback mountain'. Oddly enough, from a san francisco publication...
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...VGMTGVUG31.DTL

I'm another one of those baby boomer/gen x "gappers". Although I've seen the baby boomer range extend to include the year I was born in some articles and stop short in others. I've never seen the gen-x range extend backwards.

So my appreciation to the baby boom generation for occasionally wanting to include me in their group, probably during periods of wanting to feel younger. As far as the gen-x'ers who want nothing to do with the old phart? Screw you!