Join Early Retirement Today

What does it take to switch
Old 04-02-2005, 01:29 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What does it take to switch

career fields? I am in an MBA program and still trying to build some solid credentials (i.e. trying to make myself as "employable" as possible). But I have no experience in the field I want to enter and a little over 2 years of experience in a field I don't want to be in again. I find it frustrating to see that I don't qualify for positions I feel I could do with some training. Any suggestions on how to switch career fields? Boy I still get friggin calls for the old one :-/

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: What does it take to switch
Old 04-02-2005, 02:01 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Once the lady is done with school, I plan on going back to school, and switching career areas too.

I'm not going to fool myself and think that I can start right at the top in my new field, and will accept the fact that switching will require me to fall a bit....but that's ok. Sanity is priceless.

Old 04-02-2005, 02:41 PM   #3

Seems like even the most entry-level position in my target new field require experience.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:04 PM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Reminds me of when I was looking for my first job a few years back, and saw jobs requiring '10 years of .net', and other insane amounts of experience for newly created technology. Kinda funny.

In the end, I don't think it really matters anyways. In your cover letter, phone calls, interviews, etc talk about what you have, and what you can do... not what you lack.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:28 PM   #5

Very true but I wonder if the person on the other end doing the hiring just automatically overlooks people that do not have the experience necessary to do the job. I think some HR departments get so many applicants they just quickly "X" people out without consideration. Networking I suppose the only way to talk to the right person and unfortunately my network is limited (not counting the guys down at the pub )
Old 04-02-2005, 06:56 PM   #6

One thing I've noticed in the current (like, last few years) job market is the "must have 5.7 years experience in the widget industry" mindset. I think it is easing a little, but to a great extent it is a function of a buyers' market.

Some ideas, but as noted above, you'll likely have to take a step back / down to move ... obviously emphasize anything on your resume that is close, consider doing temp to perm to get some experience in the industry, even consider offering to work on a volunteer basis for a short time (month or two, if you can handle it financially) to prove your worth. Those kinds of things. You noted additional training to prepare you.

I notice health care is like this ... that industry generally seems to shun anyone who didn' t grow up in it.

Good luck. You'll get there.