What does it take to switch

wildcat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
career fields? I am in an MBA program and still trying to build some solid credentials (i.e. trying to make myself as "employable" as possible). But I have no experience in the field I want to enter and a little over 2 years of experience in a field I don't want to be in again. I find it frustrating to see that I don't qualify for positions I feel I could do with some training. Any suggestions on how to switch career fields? Boy I still get friggin calls for the old one :-/

Once the lady is done with school, I plan on going back to school, and switching career areas too.

I'm not going to fool myself and think that I can start right at the top in my new field, and will accept the fact that switching will require me to fall a bit....but that's ok. Sanity is priceless.

Seems like even the most entry-level position in my target new field require experience.

Reminds me of when I was looking for my first job a few years back, and saw jobs requiring '10 years of .net', and other insane amounts of experience for newly created technology. Kinda funny.

In the end, I don't think it really matters anyways. In your cover letter, phone calls, interviews, etc talk about what you have, and what you can do... not what you lack.

Very true but I wonder if the person on the other end doing the hiring just automatically overlooks people that do not have the experience necessary to do the job. I think some HR departments get so many applicants they just quickly "X" people out without consideration. Networking I suppose the only way to talk to the right person and unfortunately my network is limited (not counting the guys down at the pub :D)

One thing I've noticed in the current (like, last few years) job market is the "must have 5.7 years experience in the widget industry" mindset. I think it is easing a little, but to a great extent it is a function of a buyers' market.

Some ideas, but as noted above, you'll likely have to take a step back / down to move ... obviously emphasize anything on your resume that is close, consider doing temp to perm to get some experience in the industry, even consider offering to work on a volunteer basis for a short time (month or two, if you can handle it financially) to prove your worth. Those kinds of things. You noted additional training to prepare you.

I notice health care is like this ... that industry generally seems to shun anyone who didn' t grow up in it.

Good luck. You'll get there.

Back
Top Bottom