Join Early Retirement Today

Unclemick-- driving through Texas
Old 08-18-2004, 05:29 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Unclemick-- driving through Texas

Newly married, just back after three months at sea, driving from FL to CA in November. We drove through four states in three days... and then we hit Texas.

The morning of the second Texas day my spouse decided to give me a driving break. The ice storm started about 20 minutes later and turned all the vehicles into hockey pucks. At one point we (and all our earthly possessions) were going 50 mph down the highway doing slow 360-degree spirals and just hoping the ride would end soon.

I'm sure conditions have improved since 1986, but I've been in no hurry to check on it.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: What ever happened to small houses?
Old 08-20-2004, 07:20 PM   #62

CJ,
If you are interested in Washington state I would suggest checking into the larger real estate agencies...Coldwell Banker and Windermere. That will give you a good idea on prices. Seattle is expensive, Tacoma and outlying areas less so. However, Tacoma/Pierce County's real estate jumped 20% in the last year due to wannabe Seattlites looking for somewhere else to live. Good luck! Halley
Old 08-21-2004, 10:19 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

CJ-

If you are WA bound look at Bellingham. *The maritime location moderates temp extremes. *Too far for a Seattle commute, big enough to have all the services, and a university town.

There are a number of small communities on the Kitsap Peninsula that are attractive for retirees: Sequim, and Port Townsend among them.

There are three climates in the NW: maritime (moderate in the summer, usually mild winters), east of the Cascades (hot dry summers, cold winters), inland (days of hot weather in the summer, episodes of cold in the winter- aka ice). *Also, there are micro-climates. *For example on Bainbridge Island where I live it rains more on the north end than the south.

There are a communities in OR that are worth considering too.

The suggestion to contract realtors is great. *Were I considering a cross country move I would rent for a year before buying. *That way you will get to know the community before spending big bucks. *Remember, the realtor works for the seller!
Old 08-21-2004, 04:39 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I ER'ed in Florida and have been looking into moving to WA among other cooler places for awhile as it is too muggy and hot here. *Thanks.
Remember that Seattle is 47 degrees N latitude. That means that winter is dark, even at noon. Add the rain, and I think it might be hard to come here from Florida and be happy, at least for a while. If you are considering it, I strongly suggest a mid-winter visit of a month or so.

Mikey
Old 08-21-2004, 07:55 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Nowadays, in many states, realtors work for whoever contacted them first, unless disclosed otherwise. It used to be true that realtors always worked for the seller, tho.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:46 AM   #66

Regarding WA state being dark at noon....as I recall it is still light out! And I heard that Florida actually gets more rain than Seattle The rain myth is a way of keeping all those out of staters from coming up here Of course I came from PA in 1986 so it didn't keep me away! I would never move back!
Also if you don't want the rain, go east of the mountains! It is much more dry over there. We actually are getting rain here in Western WA for the first time in almost a month and 1/2 maybe longer. It has been a dry summer...was last year too!
I lived on the Kitsap peninsula in Port Orchard. Depends where you work...if you work in Seattle you can take the ferry or drive around, but then you deal with the Tacoma Narrows bridge which is undergoing construction... Halley
Old 08-25-2004, 09:23 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Mickey, you are my kind of poster!! There are folks on the island where I live who think it was a mistake to construct a fixed bridge to the mainland.

Seattle's latitude about the same as Boston's. On rare occasion the NW gets an "Alberta Clipper", but by and large we enjoy the moderating effect of the Pacific Ocean. Our moisture has the decency to fall to the ground rather than hang mid-air.

I strongly suggest anyone rent a year when making a major move. There are both cultural and climate changes that require adjustment. There is not just one climate or just one community culture here. Each can impact an individual's contentment.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:59 PM   #68

I got lucky in being offered a consulting job in Texas
after I semiretired. Lived there 4 years and liked it.
Thus, when it came time to look at warmer climes,
Texas was a natural. However, before committing to
Texas we considered several other spots, including some outside the USA. I decided I did not want to invest
the time to get comfortable (knowing the area might not be right) when I already had a place I liked a lot.
Anyway, maybe if I'd been younger...............it's
real risky though until you live somewhere a
while. I know people who decided to retire to Florida
without any prior long term visits. They were back
up north inside of a year.

John Galt
Old 08-25-2004, 04:07 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Western Washington 26 yrs, Colorado 4 yrs, AL 2 yrs, New Orleans 30 yrs and counting.

Where you are at is where you are at - climate is what you make of it. Besides - during my working years "the inside of a rocket plant is the inside of a rocket plant - no matter where you put it.

Small apts until age 33, then the 800 sq ft side of our duplex - rented 1200 sq ft.

Fish camp - with one tornado and two glancing hurricane hits - has gone from 1000 sg ft to 1345 sg ft. Each - er repair ended up a mini expansion/remodel.

Worst of all we actually use a/c - now that we're retired.