Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What is a (good) manager?
Old 07-23-2006, 07:24 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to vvsonikvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE

Is she deciding whether to take you with her to the next job/assignment?
I don't believe so. I don't know who makes the decision to who goes where, to what project, what client etc. I'm not sure if she chose this move, or senior management chose to move her. I don't know if its best to move with her. She is great and seems to care alot. But this new project may be worse (or better). There may not be an opening for me at this new project... Or with the new manager, we may have a chance to improve things since we have a new perspective. (maybe if this happens some of the success can be contributed to the work I do.)

Now that the time for change is coming closer and closer, its becoming more tense? (nervous?)

Quote:
I have no idea, just a gut feeling.

Or, you feel something for her, or she feels something for you.
Can you explain?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2006, 04:46 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

With all the help she's given you, does she think of you as her son?

Or, a boyfriend?

Again, I have no idea.

-CC

Old 07-25-2006, 08:56 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
With all the help she's given you, does she think of you as her son?

Or, a boyfriend?

Again, I have no idea.

-CC
OK. I may have crossed into dangerous territory. As I mentioned, she is older, so I doubt she sees me as a boyfriend or i see her as a girlfriend... (however, that would make for an interesting story... )

Now that you mention it "does she think of you as her son"...

What makes a son a daughter a child... and what makes a mother or a father? There is that close relationship, a mentorship, or just biological parent?...

Now I definitely see her as a mentor and as a 'friend'. We talk about things like my friends, my hobbies, my career aspirations, what happened over the weekend, as well as she always helps me out in work, teaching me this or that, and at times, tells me personal things about her personal life and me telling her. I have at many times compared her to being an aunt. Bc I feel close/connected and loyal to her,,, but not my mother.

I could be creating this 'entire issue'.

She has a daughter that is my age. She lives on her own in another state, far from my boss. My boss always tells me stories about her and her daughter, how they used to do things when she was younger. (My boss always tells me stories about her past, recent past and far past). And it seems she want to have a closer relationship with her daughter and is trying, but her daughter is too 'independant' now.

Could I be a 'daughter/son' role for her? Am i fulfilling that gap she is missing? At times i feel i need her protection as my boss from the evil clients and evil office bs sometimes. Or that she can stop me from "touching the hot stove" in the office. And she seems to always mention how, i'm like her daughter. and how sometimes something we do.. it's like her and her daughter.

I see our relationship like a Karate Kid and Mr Miyagi type... However my roommate mentioned, this shouldnt be the case, since he was a father figure for the kid. but then, my previous analysis could hold...

is this really happening?
Old 07-26-2006, 09:51 AM   #44

Sometimes you feel like you should've taken the Blue Pill. {Matrix Reference}

That's life.

-CC

Old 07-26-2006, 06:46 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Earlier I whinged:
Quote:
Sorry to be so sour. I just gave notice last Friday to the jerk I have been working for. He manages by intimidation. If I had known anything about him when I was researching the job, I would never have gone there.
It is OK now. I am working again for a much nicer bunch, doing something I am really good at. There really are still good people out there in business.

Gypsy
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:32 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
Earlier I whinged:
It is OK now.* I am working again for a much nicer bunch, doing something I am really good at.* * * There really are still good people out there in business.

Gypsy
Glad you found a nest of good ones for a change. They are out there but are becoming scarce with the pressures of upper mgt. on them and the lack of resources coupled with ever increasing demands for doing more with less faster than yesterday. Hang out there for as long as it works out for you.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:49 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
I am working again for a much nicer bunch, doing something I am really good at.* * *
That's a good place to be--great combo!* Happy to hear about your good fortune.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:47 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Sometimes you feel like you should've taken the Blue Pill. {Matrix Reference}

That's life.

-CC

Hmm... I haven't seen the matrix... I think I was too busy working...
Old 07-27-2006, 08:51 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Red or blue...whats the difference...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:06 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

good thing i haven't seen the matrix movie, otherwise i wouldnt know what you are talking about...

now my manager is sharing alot with me about, 'whats said' 'whats on paper' and 'whats done.' It's good to learn things without having to go through it and fall flat on my face.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:00 PM   #51

Take the blue pill and everything returns to before you knew all the "truth". Basically just hum along as ignorant as before.

Take the red pill and your off to make everything right with the new information you have.

I can't believe people haven't seen The Matrix movie.

-CC

Old 08-01-2006, 02:33 PM   #52

Quote:
I can't believe people haven't seen The Matrix movie.
vvsinkvv seems to be 22, 23...he might've just started high school when the first Matrix was released!

=astro, who can't believe people haven't seen every Bogart movie, Godzilla, Spartacus...
Old 08-01-2006, 02:42 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
=astro, who can't believe people haven't seen every Bogart movie, Godzilla, Spartacus...
Actually, watching many pre-1940 Bogart movies is rather painful. He was often found in pretty awful flicks, mostly playing shady characters, before he hit the big time** 8)
Old 08-01-2006, 04:04 PM   #54

yeah, I sluffed (sloughed?) over that listing my actual faves, such as anything Bogie did with Bacall, even Dark Passage--I get flashbacks to the surgery scenes in DP from the scenes w/the Peter Stormare character in Minority Report. OK, so I'm a little bit of a old film geek. But too many of today's movies leave me cold. A friend recently showed us "The Italian Job" and "The Talented Mr Ripley" (in honor of ur Italian trip), and apart from some decent acting in the latter, the movies left me fidgety. And once the fight started in the boat in Ripley and I could foresee the rest, I left the room to reread Your Money or Your Life...which is kinda funny, now I think on it...
Old 08-01-2006, 10:18 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
vvsinkvv seems to be 22, 23...he might've just started high school when the first Matrix was released!

Yeah, didn't mean to come off as a such a "scoff" attitude. Just with all the marketing the movie seemed to have had...

-CC
Old 08-01-2006, 10:26 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yeah, didn't mean to come off as a such a "scoff" attitude. Just with all the marketing the movie seemed to have had...

-CC
no harm taken. I guess us are 'different folk' that don't overspend and underearn. I haven't been too 'up to date' with pop culture. Though i did see the 3rd one. I guess I'm not always into the newest latest and greatest.

I did watch the first 15 mins of it. It seems good. Theres alot of movies I havent seen that I should have.

You know... the "truth" is just information. Theres no 'right' or 'wrong'. As was stated, most people offered advice to 'not get too close.' I guess thats done. I guess someone always says... but this is different. We'll see. She is unlike no other, though she probably does not have mutual respect, value, understanding with me as I do her.

I am learning as I go. She is a great mentor. I don't know where I am going, but I will always have her fulfill as a mentor role. Anything beyong that I am taking a risk.

I'll update as this 'transition' for her to her new project continues.