Join Early Retirement Today

Re: what is it about your job that you want to RE?
Old 02-21-2005, 04:23 AM   #21

It's interesting to me how many people really hate
their jobs/bosses but stay on anyway. Not necessarily
surprising but interesting. I never had such an experience. If I hated my job/bosses, I just quit. Period. Thus, it mattered very little what my "job"
was at the time. When the time came I did not have to
ask for whom the ER bell tolled. I knew it was me.

JG
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2005, 04:32 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Too many bad guys want me dead.

I know the feeling.

(that's a joke.)

Old 02-21-2005, 04:54 AM   #23

Re. "I know the feeling", me too.

(That's not a joke )

JG
Old 02-21-2005, 07:53 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Excellent thread running here. The 1 - 10 list was right on. As other people have mentioned there are opportunity costs of working, not being able to do new and different things because I am tied to my job.

I'm tired of the routine, the games and the psychological torture. I don't know how people who are living paycheck to paycheck handle the stress.

Where I work we are going through "efficiency studies" - straight out of Dilbert. Since I am a Federal employee, my job is pretty secure, but I really feel for the contractors. It's pretty unhealthy to see the unnecessary additional stress some of the managers are creating with remarks about future job cuts. We all can see that it's going to happen, so why torment people with remarks like, "we all had to talk about each employee on the list and justify why that person is critical to the organization and what they contribute". They are trying to tweak out every last ounce of energy from employees using the fear factor, then they are going to drop the axe on many of them anyway.

That's the kind of crap I won't miss 8 years from now.

For me, what is making it difficult is that I've reached my point of saturation. It's a choice I making to stay where I am until I retire, but I would really prefer to move on adn do something new. The issue is that in 8 years I will be FI and I can retire with full health benefits for life plus a reduced cola pension for life. If I leave, I would have to work much longer. Plus, I don't think the new environment I would join would end up being much healthier, it's kind of the same all crap no matter where we work.

So, I'm going to try and enjoy the technical parts of my job which I do like. And, try and work and spend time around the people I do like. It's not all bad, it's just not as good as it's going to be to RE !!!!!

-helen
Old 02-21-2005, 08:10 AM   #25

Hi Helen - I'm a fed. employeed also (5 years, 4 months to go). We've gone through the efficiency studies, etc., also, and the new processes and pseudo-training that keep coming down on us every year are very tiresome, to say the least. Like you, I'd just as soon leave now, but leaving in 5 years gets me an immediate annuity plus continued health benefits. If I leave now, I'd end up working much longer somewhere else. So, I'll tough it out for 5 more years. I am putting aside a large % of my salary each pay period, which helps keep me motivated (nice to see that TSP account grow ). Like you, I do enjoy the technical part of my job, and I do have a fair amount of flexibility and perks (nice amount of vacation time, flex-time) so that helps a lot.

RAE
Old 02-21-2005, 10:07 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Too many bad guys want me dead.

I know the feeling.
I'd be perfectly happy if your computer died.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 10:36 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Gee, I hope all of you still working find better experiences at work in the future. I enjoy my job, feel like I do important work, have a great boss who humbles me with his knowledge, and I just got a window cube so I get some natural light. The one reason I want to ER is no full time job, no matter how great, will let me do the things I want to before I leave this earth. I'm talking lot's of travel, volunteer work, visiting kids/grandkids (hopefully!) whenever I want etc. etc. I actually am happy to be working right now, and if I won the lotto, I don't know I'd quit right away (probably stay in a couple of years until all the finances are in order )
Old 02-21-2005, 10:46 AM   #28

Quote:
Hi Helen - I'm a fed. employeed also (5 years, 4 months to go). *We've gone through the efficiency studies, etc., also, and the new processes and pseudo-training that keep coming down on us every year are very tiresome, to say the least. *Like you, I'd just as soon leave now, but leaving in 5 years gets me an immediate annuity plus continued health benefits. *If I leave now, I'd end up working much longer somewhere else. *So, I'll tough it out for 5 more years. *I am putting aside a large % of my salary each pay period, which helps keep me motivated (nice to see that TSP account grow *). *Like you, I do enjoy the technical part of my job, and I do have a fair amount of flexibility and perks (nice amount of vacation time, flex-time) so that helps a lot.

RAE
Hi RAE,

5 years - wanna trade ? Yes I am putting a lot of money away too. I have it mapped out for the next 8 years; how much I hope to save and what amount goes where. This year I will pay the mortgage off. The next seven years I will agressively save in my after tax accounts as well as fully fund the Roth and 401k.

We will live on quite a bit more in retirement than what we will be living on for the next 8 years.

Thanks for your words of encouragement.

-helen
Old 02-21-2005, 11:16 AM   #29

The reason I want to retire early is I can. I know of too many people that retired after their health was gone. I hope to retire early enough to enjoy the time I have off.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:18 AM   #30

Yeah, and I know (knew?) a lot of people who waited
until they were dead. The ultimate bummer IMHO.

JG
Old 02-21-2005, 11:22 AM   #31

I'd be perfectly happy if your computer died.

I understand, TH.

The interesting question is, why do you feel that way? The proponents of the Data-Based SWR Tool have made their case by pointing to expert opinion and by pointing to the historical data. The defenders of the conventional methodology have made theirs by showing in all sorts of ways that they wish that the computers of the proponents of the Data-Based SWR Tool were dead.

The Data-Based SWR Tool is something new. "Something new" is not the same thing as "something bad." We learn by looking at new things. There are hundreds of community members who have expressed a desire to hear about the Data-Based SWR Tool without having to wade through all the junk that has been put forward by those trying to block the discussions.

What do you see as the downside of giving the disruption a rest, TH? Let's presume that you know for certain that the Data-Based SWR Tool is not for you. What terrible development is it that you fear will take place if people who are interested in having discussions about something new are permitted to do so?

What is it to you? Why not just let it be? Why not just let people make up their own minds after hearing both sides of the story?
Old 02-21-2005, 11:29 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Arg! LOL! I've now been around long enough to see the pattern, another thread magically transforming into an SWR debate! Back to the subject: Anybody think their job would be less of a problem once they become financially independent? I was thinking that may be the catch-22 for me-once I know I don't have to work, work isn't hard to put up with....
Old 02-21-2005, 11:37 AM   #33

Quote:
Arg! *LOL! *I've now been around long enough to see the pattern, another thread magically transforming into an SWR debate!
Some of us have been seeing it happen for years starting on other boards. It wouldn't surprise me though if he tries to pretend to be rational in a follow on post. That's the way that these "passive-aggressive" type trolls work.

Quote:
Back to the subject: *Anybody think their job would be less of a problem once they become financially independent? *I was thinking that may be the catch-22 for me-once I know I don't have to work, work isn't hard to put up with....
It's already happening as I progress towards full-FI - it's not really a destination point but a continuum. *The petty crap doesn't bother me as much anymore. *The big issue still remains that the work isn't as exciting as it once was though.

Most projects (I work in software) are really just different incarnations of the same stuff in different wrappers. *Once I FIRE I won't have to do any software project that doesn't interest me or any at all (I might do some shareware/freeware/open source). *Or I might give it up entirely and go back to my first real "love" - physics and math though I'll be too old to do anything really groundbreaking (mostly done by those in their 20's).

I do really envy those who become enamoured in their work - they work because they love it and not because of the money. *I can and have got that way about things but it doesn't last longer than a couple of years - no life consuming passion to keep me working.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:54 AM   #34

The way to keep a thread on topic is to do just what you have done here--keep talking on the topic. That's what works not only at the Young Dreamers section of the site, but at the SWR section too. If some community members bring up nonsense about kayaks or about mental illness or about trolls, just keep talking on topic and they will eventually get the hint that their nonsense is not welcomed at this site.

Now, let's please return to the topic of the thread-starter. The question on the table for this thread is--What Is It About Your Job That You Want to Retire Early?
Old 02-21-2005, 12:01 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

The short answer is my job won't let me bring my family into work! No matter how nice your coworkers are, it doesn't beat playing with your kids, at least not in my book!
Old 02-21-2005, 02:22 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

It's probably worth sticking this one out.

Quote:
... I am tied to my job.

The issue is that in 8 years I will be FI and I can retire with full health benefits for life plus a reduced cola pension for life. *If I leave, I would have to work much longer. *
Quote:
Like you, I'd just as soon leave now, but leaving in 5 years gets me an immediate annuity plus continued health benefits. If I leave now, I'd end up working much longer somewhere else. So, I'll tough it out for 5 more years. I am putting aside a large % of my salary each pay period, which helps keep me motivated (nice to see that TSP account grow).
When I used to grumble about work to my father-in-law, he'd point out the benefits of a COLA pension with lifetime medical care. Then he'd ask if the workplace stress was really killing my health or if I could put up with it for a while longer.

Next he'd compare short-term stress with long-term stress. He'd mention how he took a lump sum because he didn't trust the company to be around as long as he was, and how much his medical benefits have eroded since he retired.

He'd finish his remarks with the comment "Just take their money!"

During my working years, sometimes the thought of a COLA pension and lifetime medical care were all that got me out of bed in the morning. But the ER results have been worth the effort of coping with the rest of the list. Look at the two biggest challenged faced by this board's ERs-- pension erosion and medical care.

Hang in there-- this close to the finish line it's worth finishing the race. Even if you are running with a bunch of turkeys...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 03:55 PM   #37

Quote:
During my working years, sometimes the thought of a COLA pension and lifetime medical care were all that got me out of bed in the morning. But the ER results have been worth the effort of coping with the rest of the list. Look at the two biggest challenged faced by this board's ERs-- pension erosion and medical care.

Hang in there-- this close to the finish line it's worth finishing the race. Even if you are running with a bunch of turkeys...
Thank you Nords, those encouraging words are very helpful. I will print it out and keep a copy of it at my desk.

-helen
Old 02-21-2005, 07:21 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Great post! Your list pretty much sums it up for me. I just turned 27 and 7 years of corporate ( IT ) life has given me more than enough motivation to want out ASAP. I'm currently saving about 40% of my income toward FI. I've spent a lot of time trying to pinpoint what it is that I dislike to see if there's anything I can change. As you said, it's not my job description duties ... it's everything else.

I once read an article regarding corporate IT burnout that summed up the moral of that move, "Office Space", thusly:

Corporate IT presents no problems that can't be fixed by changing your profession to heavy construction.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:46 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

40%? Dude, and my wife and I were swaggering around like we were something putting 25% away for retirement at our ripe old age of 29/30! You just raised the bar, I'm feeling the competitive juices flowing!
Old 02-22-2005, 05:06 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Yep - and I'm single ( no dual-income help ). A year or 2 ago, I went through and actually wrote out my goals and set FI as one of my main ones ( due partially to the aforementioned job-related motivation ). 2004 was the first year I maxed out both my 401k and Roth. My salary is "only" 59k with a potential 12% annual bonus, so I feel pretty good about being able to do that!

Today is already "one of those days". I drove to work not exactly looking forward to it.