Join Early Retirement Today

Re: what is it about your job that you want to RE?
Old 02-22-2005, 06:48 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Can I ask what region you live in? We live in San Diego, and between our mortgage, gas prices and day care (we have a lovely daughter) we really think we are maxing our savings. I make 60 and my wife 70 (I didn't marry her for money, really!) but the cost of living is so high, it took until now just to max out our 401(k)s. Some people on another thread were debating which was better: high salary area, or low cost of living area. I've been in IT about 8 years now, and spent the last two in IT security. I chose it because it not only was it interesting and different each day, but it allowed me to dress down a bit (hey, he's the IT guy) and gave me some freedom of movement. But even IT is getting stuffy and meeting loaded now. I bailed to security to keep a little autonomy (after all, who polices the police? )

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2005, 09:42 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

For me, my job isn't too bad. No one's trying to do me harm!

Still, its not like I'd do this kind of stuff on my own time. I'm some sort of engineer, and I spend most of my time writing and making tables and charts. If they didn't pay me, I wouldn't do this.

My wife & I have a little girl too, and its become apparant to me that being "tied down" to a daily routine is a good thing for her. If I could pull the trigger today, I'd still have to stay close to home so my daughter can have a regular, normal daily routine. So working (and getting paid for it) isn't so bad for now.

I have noticed that as I make progress towards FI (decreasing expenses, increasing savings, watching the balances grow), a lot of the corporate "pressure tactics" don't work on me. I remember when I first started working right after college, my boss said to me, "You want to have a career, right? Well here's what you got to do..." Now-a-days, the whole "career" thing seems silly. Like its just assumed that you want a career.

Some times I find myself sitting in on meetings where the room is full of brilliant guys twice my age who have spent there lives building up their impressive careers, and all I can think is "what are these guys still doing working at their age?"

Old 02-22-2005, 10:07 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

A critical example of how money does not equal happiness:
A coworker of mine is 70, has military retirement, SS, and would qualify for full retirement from my work, plus his 401(k), but he won't retire. The reason? His wife and him bicker so much, she won't let him! His kids only check in asking for money, and he's not too good at making new friends. I know we make our own bed, but it's sad to see, and a good lesson that making (and saving) the money is only one key to a good retirement!
Old 02-22-2005, 10:31 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
... its not like I'd do this kind of stuff on my own time... Some times I find myself sitting in on meetings where the room is full of brilliant guys twice my age who have spent there lives building up their impressive careers, and all I can think is "what are these guys still doing working at their age?"
HA! You too! I thought I was the only one.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:10 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If my figures are correct I'll be able to retire at my 13 year point with this agency. However, if I sitck it out 2 more years then I can go anywhere with a concealed weapon without a permit (it's one of those federal laws). That'll save at least $100 every three years, since I hate spending money I'll take my chances that I'll last 2 more years, not to mention increase my retirement earnings.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:21 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If my figures are correct I'll be able to retire at my 13 year point with this agency. *However, if I sitck it out 2 more years then I can go anywhere with a concealed weapon without a permit (it's one of those federal laws). *That'll save at least $100 every three years, since I hate spending money I'll take my chances that I'll last 2 more years, not to mention increase my retirement earnings.
Are you in some federal law enforcement arm? Have you ever been shot at?

Sounds like a good place to hang out, IMO--if you don't spend much time dodging bullets.

Mikey
Old 02-22-2005, 12:57 PM   #47

Why lets-retire, I am shocked! Why would you want to walk around "packing heat"? Our lib friends would tell
you if you get in trouble, just call 911. Or maybe the police will show up. Of course, by then you'll be dead

God created men. Samuel Colt made them equal.

JG
Old 02-22-2005, 05:15 PM   #48

Quote:
I have noticed that as I make progress towards FI (decreasing expenses, increasing savings, watching the balances grow), a lot of the corporate "pressure tactics" don't work on me. I remember when I first started working right after college, my boss said to me, "You want to have a career, right? Well here's what you got to do..." Now-a-days, the whole "career" thing seems silly. Like its just assumed that you want a career.
I'm going to jump on the same "career" bandwagon. As a lawyer, I was always told to look up to the brilliant legal luminaries of past and present. In so doing, I was to observe, and ultimately emulate, their selfless sacrifice to the law and their clients.

After spending the last 9 years of my life chasing a legal "career", I've begun to question whether the time sacrifice is really worth it. To ascend to the top of any field you have to sacrifice virtually everything else, with the legal profession being a poster child for one-dimensional lives. Perhaps you'll achieve some degree of immortality, but in most cases you won't. You'll die at your desk or a couple of years after retiring. Your colleagues won't remember your achievements, since they're more focused on their own.

Financial independence gives you a chance to create your own legacy.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 06:43 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

What bothers me:
1) Revolving-door management, with each one wanting to re-invent the wheel.
2) The attitude of "let's see how many folks we can run off, then let's see how much work we can pile on the survivors."

Nice thing about getting close to RE is that I don't have to deal with a lot of the crud. I happily ignore all requests for OT (I have plenty of co-workers happy to toil 7 days a week, it seems). I also let my more eager-beaver co-workers get in the front-line positions and grab the projects that will make you tear your hair out.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:30 PM   #50

Answering the original question, it seems fairly self-evident to me: they pay you to be there, so you'd rather be doing something else otherwise they wouldn't have to pay you to do it. Good 10 points, though.

Summarized slightly differently: I have better things to do.

Quote:
Anybody think their job would be less of a problem once they become financially independent? I was thinking that may be the catch-22 for me-once I know I don't have to work, work isn't hard to put up with....
I guess I'm not FI, but perhaps newly FA or FF (financially adaptable or financially flexible); that is to say I need an income, but I'm set so that I don't necessarily need this income from this job right now. It's actually demotivating so far because I have better things to do than work, and I sorta don't need to work today and it's rather a bother to me that they insist I come in today if I want to come in some other future day, too. If I ever figure out how to support myself on my own schedule I'll have it made.

Actually, work is easier to shake off now because the worst than can happen is that I'll get fired, and that has several positives going for it. I'll never make Employee of the Month again, though.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:01 AM   #51
Dryer sheet aficionado

I work for a large aerospace company on the east cost and the problems I have are:

1. As noted earlier, management changes at the top bring there own philosophy trying to make things better only to leave as things are getting worse.

2. I'm a 32 yr Mfg. Engineer and most of the new ME's want to come here, get the company name on there resume and then leave, requiring me to train new ME's over and over again.

3. The equipment we have is >20 years old and being made to do a cost benefit analysis every time you want to replace said equipment. They really want to outsource the work nowadays so that the don't have to deal with the in-house problems (maintenance and hourly workforce).

342 more days. Seems like an eternity.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:23 AM   #52

Mikey--Actually a local police officer, the federal gov't finally realized that we are a mobil society and the badguys move also. They passed a law allowing active and reitred officer's with 15 years to carry conceled anywhere. We like to joke that our city is the crown jewel of the toilet. Everything around us is dope dealers, thieves, and other lowlifes. We keep the city clean, but it makes us one of the most hated groups of people in the area. As far as being shot at I'd prefer that, it's a straight forward fight and my vest, while not perfect, lowers my vital areas to a small target. It's the ambushes I hate, knives will go through my vest, a fist still breaks the nose and a baseball bat still breaks ribs.

A poor decision in stressfull situation could see all of my retirement savings go up in smoke and the postponement of retirement until I'm too old to enjoy it.

JG--I AM 9-1-1.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:46 AM   #53

"What is it about your job that you want to RE?"

For me, nothing. Its actually a wonderful job. But being only 33 living in the 21st century, I realize that today jobs come and go on almost a yearly basis. Though i'm a federal employee, even we are not immune from jobs being lost (which come in the form of RIFs).

So if i lose this great job, say, 5-10 years from now, i'm going to be all the more happier if I proactively saved and planned for what could happen rather than just saving mildly and hoping for the best.

As good as this job is though, it still would not beat being able to do exactly what i wanted to. When I reach the day i can safely retire without putting either me or those I love in undue strain, I will retire.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:44 AM   #54

two more for the list:

Project meeting where EVERYTHING is discussed and NOTHING is decided.

Indoctrination meetings where management teaches the grunts how to be politically correct. Being lectured by a management weasel on Corporate Ethics is like getting marriage counciling from Bill Clinton.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:40 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

What I like about my job:
1. I like what I do (engineer) and I like most people I work with (other engineers).
2. I like my boss, who will get along well with you if he thinks you are smart. If you are not smart, he may seem like a patronizing, controlling person (because he is afraid you will screw things up). Fortunately, he thinks I am pretty smart cookie so we got along well. My boss treats me fairly and gives me challenging work which is more important to me than the money.
3. I got a base salary for 40 hours/week and anything more than that is overtime pay (1.5X during weekdays, and 2X in the weekends). They want me to come in the weekend? Fine, but they gotta pay me double.
4. I like that my job comes with benefits: 5% employer's matching for my retirement savings, life insurance, disability insurance, and health insurance.

What I don't like:
1. One or two managers here who are just clueless (I am not going to re-iterate because I am afraid I will get suck into some long, heated rant). They are not my direct boss but sometimes I will have to answer to them on certain aspects of the projects I work on.
2. Some corporate policies which seems to be a waste of money. Our upper execs cry out year after year about cutting cost, save money and yet they blatantly come up with some policies that waste money. One example is that they keep wanting to change softwares we use and standard procedures we have to follow every 2-3 years, and then they wonder why productivity is down etc. Well duh, people need time to learn the new softwares and standards, and as soon as they are comfortable with the new stuff, it changed again on them.

All in all though, I consider my workplace pretty agreeable. It helps that we live on 1 salary eventhough we are 2-income family, and we have savings, and the only debt we have is our mortgage. It helps to "cope with work" because it gives me the "I don't have to take crap from you" attitude since I am not afraid that I won't be able to pay bills if I lose my job.

Jane
Old 02-25-2005, 07:16 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

1,2,3,5,7,8,10 plus 3 more:

A) 24/7 projects --> ridiculous expections
B) Dealing with Bullies
C) Mandated travel to undesirable locales
Old 02-26-2005, 12:38 PM   #57

Quote:

A) 24/7 projects --> ridiculous expections
Once, at a very large company you've heard of, I had a project fix due NOW, so me and a cow-orker worked on it literally all night. Friday morning comes around and we send the patch out to the person on-site. Friday morning also happens to be the quarterly corporate meeting, which I never attended anyway, but I was leaving the building at the same time as the meeting ended. My boss' new boss, just transferred from elsewhere, sees me and asks what I'm doing. In no mood for much of anything, I tell him I'm leaving, without elaboration - the work was done, I did more then my hours, and my boss knew what was up. He didn't like my "flippant" answer and was still telling me how to act towards him as I walked to the parking garage.

Someone above him gave me a bonus for that piece of work but it was the beginning of the end. The corporate tendrils were beginning to strangle the startup goose that laid the golden eggs.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:06 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Found this thread in the archives of page 41. Thought I'd bring it back to the front.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:49 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for bringing this thread back Eyerishgold, it was active before my time here.

As I sit at an open window alternatating between gazing out the window, reading RE forums, catching up on backlog due to two week vacation, taking care of personal business, running around to three desks doing skeleton-crew work, chatting with favorite clients while letting others go into the voicemail, taking long breaks out in the sunshine, and planning to cut out early, now, what was it I don't like about my job:

Meetings with the bookkeeper/personnel/boss' wife: long discussions followed by going with the simplest solution--what I would have done without a meeting. Don't think she's yet recovered from the time I pointed out that the new system she wanted to use is inappropriate for our business as it creates invoices lacking info. we are required by law to produce on every statement. No doubt, she wants to work even less than I do.

Basically I want to RE because I've "been there, done that," love long long vacations, and wish to, as they say, pursue other interests.

So how to I get her to present me with an exit package without becoming an inept employee?
Old 08-29-2007, 06:42 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

I try to look at a job as an opportunity to learn. Learning is not only developing your professional skills but also can be applied to people situation. For example, if you're having trouble dealing with co-workers, try to analyze what the problem is and find a solution Maybe it's a personality adjustment you have to make or maybe you have to figure out a way to deal with the difficult co-worker. Either way, I think it'll teach you about yourself and how people are and can be applied to outside of work.

I also believe that key to happiness (whether it's job, relationship, etc) is to have low expectation. I work hard but, if I don't get that next promotion or that raise, it doesn't really bother me because I'm not expecting it. If they give it to me great, if not, who cares. As long as I'm learning and growing professionally/personally, I'm happy. I live frugally so I make more than enough income to get by and save for retirement. So all this combined really gives me a sense of freedom that this job isn't all that bad. Actually, life in general is pretty good.