Join Early Retirement Today

what is it about your job that you want to RE?
Old 02-20-2005, 05:31 AM   #1

what is it about your job that you want to RE?

Just wondering what the main reason for people is to RE.

I don't mind the job part of my job too much (like what my job description says), it is more all the stuff surrounding it. The work itself is bearable, the whole environment and structure is what is driving me nuts. It is often the same stuff regardless of which company I am with, that bothers me.

Major dislikes:
1) face time 50 weeks a year, 8+ hours a day
2) sucking up or politially stated as 'visibility' - a strongly encouraged behavior
3) disfunctional management
4) boredom
5) lack of control over just about anything
6) corporate rallies/restucturing/initiatives
7) colleagues that are more interested in backstabbing than doing some constructive work
8) 'social' events especially after work hours where people have a chance to poke into your private life
9) cubicle without natural light that looks like a prison cell without bars
10) performance reviews that are aimed at crushing personality

Just wondering what motivates others to leave the job

Vicky
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: what is it about your job that you want to RE?
Old 02-20-2005, 05:45 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sheesh, it's hard to add to that list! If you have 10 major dislikes then I'd hate to see the list of minor annoyances...

But two strong disincentives to any new career would be "commuting" and "wearing workplace attire".

Phew, I'm glad to realize that I'm not secretly yearning for a job. I'm still reeling from the thought that by now Dolly Freed may have succeeded in procreating...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:53 AM   #3

Hey, maybe I was adopted and Dolly Freed is actually
my Mom. That would explain a lot. I have a bunch of hazy
childhood memories that really felt like deja vu when I was reading her book. Like, I remember when we were
shooting the bunnies in the head, Mom would say,
"Just pretend they're Democrats!" Worked every
time

JG
Old 02-20-2005, 06:27 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Masterful summary, vicky. I think that the BS and lack of natural light are what has really been getting to me lately. That, and the tendency of workloads to grow, almost always via the addition of scut-work, mind-numbing brain-dead labor that a monkey could do but gets dumped on white collar types because we can't avoid it.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 06:30 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not having to work for a living.

REW
Old 02-20-2005, 07:00 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

FIRE

The FI (financial independance) part is interesting.

Went back to the old plant as a temp after two years out.

Duh - I was a happy camper doing dull data gathering/crunching crap I would not go near when an employee - getting an outrageous hourly rate(no benefits) and actually getting paid time and a half for overtime.

I noticed all the people I had worked with for twenty years or so had totally changed - overly PC, nervous, grumpy, etc., etc.

Couldn't have been me - heh, heh, heh.

Whether RE or the fact that the job was Lagniappe( a little something extra)? - I won't speculate.

unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 07:58 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

I don't mind the job part of my job too much (like what my job description says), it is more all the stuff surrounding it. The work itself is bearable, the whole environment and structure is what is driving me nuts. It is often the same stuff regardless of which company I am with, that bothers me.

Major dislikes:
1) face time 50 weeks a year, 8+ hours a day
2) sucking up or politially stated as 'visibility' - a strongly encouraged behavior
3) disfunctional management
4) boredom
5) lack of control over just about anything
6) corporate rallies/restucturing/initiatives
7) colleagues that are more interested in backstabbing than doing some constructive work
8) 'social' events especially after work hours where people have a chance to poke into your private life
9) cubicle without natural light that looks like a prison cell without bars
10) performance reviews that are aimed at crushing personality

Just wondering what motivates others to leave the job

Vicky
Of course you might have covered this at #3 and #5, but like Ross Perot said, "Whenever a good idea was presented, they wanted to kill it."

And I hated #10. To have some a-h who was clearly my inferior discussing "room for improvement". Just because he had to put something down.. Oh, and #1 is right on. Heck, you've covered it. Very good post. :)

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 09:13 AM   #8

I wonder if you had none of items 1 through 10 if you would still consider ER?

I happen to be self-employed and none of the items you talk about apply to me. Nor do I commute nor do I have to wear workplace attire.

So why would I want to retire? Because I want total freedom of time. Even now that I am semi-retired working only a few hours a week, it's good but not good enough. I can take any day off I want, I can work any 4 hour period of the day I want, and I can even delegate some of the work I don't want to do. But I can't take off more than about 3 weeks at a time, and that is what bothers me now. I am "working" on that problem too, and I figure it will take me until age 40 to get there.

In the meanwhile I'm having fun with the free time I have. I like to plan for the future but live for the moment.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:15 AM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Both of us enjoy our work, but sticking in the federal job system (in husband's agency) limits where we can live.

Looking forward to taking long vacations and doing volunteer work.
Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 09:40 AM   #10

Quote:
I wonder if you had none of items 1 through 10 if you would still consider ER?

I happen to be self-employed and none of the items you talk about apply to me. *Nor do I commute nor do I have to wear workplace attire.
moment.
I am self-employed on the side too. Yep, items 1-10 do not apply to it. I obviously enjoy it much more than the cube existence. I could survive on it at this time, but it would be a struggle. It helps me getting to ER and I would probably keep on doing it in ER. However, I don't want to dependent on either a job or self-employment to pay the daily bills. Like you said, you can't take off more than a little here and there. I don't want to be constrained that way. There are so many things I would like to do, including extended travel
Old 02-20-2005, 10:19 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I hated almost everything except some of the people and the paycheck.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 12:34 PM   #12

Quote:
And I hated #10. To have some a-h who was clearly my inferior discussing "room for improvement". Just because he had to put something down.
This one hit the nail right on the head for me in regards to my former job. One major distinction, however, was that my "boss" (who was nowhere near as good an attorney as he desperately wanted to believe) put that phrase down in order to keep me in my place. He refused to acknowledge that the areas in which I allegedly needed improvement: (a) resulted from his mistakes, or (b) were things he did himself on a daily basis (I suppose "do as I say, not as I do" would have been applicable to such situations). In retrospect, perhaps pointing such things out during my various reviews was a mistake. :
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 12:52 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

#s 3,4,5,7 and 9 say it for me. But mostly, being 55, I feel the panic of limited time left and so many interesting things that I want to do. Things that can't be done after a day of work: volunteering in an animal shelter, in a retirement community, going on trips without a date to come back. Quilting, stained glass, learning about investments, hikes and picnics on a warm day. I'm making myself sick just thinking that tomorrow is Monday!
smooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:06 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

>>I'm making myself sick just thinking that tomorrow is Monday!

Well then I have a present for you....tommorrow is a holiday! (Hopefully you have it off).

Funny thing about weekdays versus weekends while ER'ed...for the first 3-3.5 years, I still felt more relaxed on the weekends...I finally, at last, don't differentiate. (It will be 4 years next week).
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:31 PM   #15

Thanks for the list! - It reminds me of why I left work. - I guess most of the Aholes stay on!

Going on 4 years. I actually find myself looking forward to Monday Mornings. Lots of quiet time.

Currently planning my Trout Fishing trip to New Mexico! 8) - Life is great
Old 02-20-2005, 02:11 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

My job is a great one with a great company. Unfortunately the market in my area for my specific area of expertise is not doing well so I am not having a good time. I have FI but am concerned about retiring now due to my age. Any suggestiosn would be welcomed.
treypar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 02:22 PM   #17

Quote:
My job is a great one with a great company. Unfortunately the market in my area for my specific area of expertise is not doing well so I am not having a good time. I have FI but am concerned about retiring now due to my age. Any suggestiosn would be welcomed.
Your post is confusing

You have Finanicial Independence, but are concerned about retiring because of your age. Too young and would feel guilty?

And if your area of expertise market is not great in your area and you are FI - Why do you care?
Old 02-20-2005, 02:45 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I have FI but am stll concerned about leaving my job at 55. It pays well with benefits but due to my location it is not very rewarding. I cannot relocate since my dw wants to remain here and has a good well paying job.
treypar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 03:44 PM   #19

Quote:
I have FI but am stll concerned about leaving my job at 55. It pays well with benefits but due to my location it is not very rewarding. I cannot relocate since my dw wants to remain here and has a good well paying job.
Why

I left work at age 50 - 4 years ago. If your wife wants to work, you can quit and go fishing like me.

If you are FI - Why would you want to work? Unless of course you don't have a life. - In that case - Get one!
Old 02-20-2005, 08:31 PM   #20

Good question. My list is:

1. Too many bad guys want me dead.
2. At work most of the people I deal with lie.
3. Too many bad guys want me dead.
4. The court system sentences bad guys to very short sentences for very violent crimes (especailly against cops)
5. Too many bad guys want me hurt real bad.
6. Computer programs desinged to identify bad guys don't work.
7. Arresting the same people week in and week out.
8. Did I mention too many bad guys want me dead?