Join Early Retirement Today
Old 10-25-2007, 08:46 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
I've been "semi-retired" for a few years. I'm a contract worker doing computer programming. Every time a contract comes to an end I think....well, this is the end. Inevitably, someone calls me up after a few months and says that they need help and would I be interested in working again. After a few months off I'm usually rested physically and mentally and decide to go back to work for the money. I'm 51 years old so at times I feel too young to retire for good, so it's not that hard to go back again. But being a contractor more or less makes the job temporary, so I usually don't have that feeling like I'm trapped in a job I hate, although it's harder and harder to go back each time. I've been back to work on my current contract for about a year...I'm thinking it will end at the end of the year because my project hired 4-5 people in India to help out (the writing is on the wall, so to speak...I'm being replaced at a much lower cost to the company). Oh well, no problem...I'll just go back into semi-retirement again....and who knows it might actually turn into full retirement next time.

DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2007, 09:19 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
semi-retirement: no longer driving truck?

Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Cleveland oh wait they choked, and the Yankee aren't playing so I can't root against them.. So another series I won't watch.
Ditto from a Cleveland fan.

BigBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:28 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
Trying to synthesise previous posts.

Semiretirement seem to be w*rk. Only it is work done by someone who doesn't need to w*rk either because already (or very close to) FI or at least blessed with a pretty good GTH fund.
Consequently there is less financial and time demand than earlier w*rk.

I personally would want that phase to be as short as possible. I'd rather choose to work for example 1 more year at 100% rather than 3 more years at 33%.
Unless there is a pretty good reason to gradually phase work out rather than abruptly? (I am thinking of lifestyle adaptation maybe).
perinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:42 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Semiretired means to me not having to "gototheofficeatacertaintimedow*rkstuffthenleaveat acertaintimetoensurepaycheckandbenefitsanddoitallo veragainthenextweekday"
Something tells me I might still be peddling Mary Kay or consulting as an organizer (something I do on the side now) while no longer having a regular j*b, but I really don't consider it real work because it is fun.
Make no mistake, my friend, it takes more than money to make men rich. - A. P. Gouthey
Fireup2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:19 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Semiretired is what you call part time w*rk when you're embarrassed to admit you still need/want to be hitched to the plow less than full time.
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:19 PM   #26
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Semiretired is what you call part time w*rk when you're embarrassed to admit you still need/want to be hitched to the plow less than full time.
This might be the best w*rking definition I've seen yet...

Semi-retired is what you are when you don't want to deal with the grief you'll get from people who think not w*rking at all makes you a useless waste of space who is a drain on society.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:05 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
ok ok - gonna repeat an old post - pay attention - there may be a test!

Remember the old stockbroker ad about an old phart(da rich guy) and a young guy(who has to work) inside the tent over a table of old fossil bones - the younger guy bitching about pay/working conditions/etc and old guy laying the capper on - he can 'afford' to enjoy his hobby cause his broker is/was E.F. Hutton or something like that.

I had a tendency to remember that when I went back to the old rocket plant as a temp for the big bucks(jobshopper). Of course - it wore off and I decided work wasn't necessary and 'the thrill was gone.'

There is a moral in there - maybe - maybe not.

heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:39 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
It can mean a lot of things. It usually refers to someone who has quit their main career-oriented job for another job with reduced workload.

Some do it because they like the "new" job and don't care that the pay sucks because they are FI.

Some do it to pay for health insurance since Megacorp doesn't provide it any more.

Some do it because they're "almost" FI but need just a few more bucks for a few more years, and they couldn't wait to get rid of their previous Megacorp job.
All of the above seems to fit me

TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote