What is the age cut off for ER?

Well, 68 obviously isn't early, and I didn't intend to be taken seriously. When people start arguing about definitions, it puts me into a frivolous mood.

I could use a frivolous mood these days;)

I say "tomayto", you say "tomahto", but we both like a nice ripe sliced one with fresh mozzarella, basil and a drizzle of olive oil, don't we?

All I know is I have 29 days to go. I don't give a flyin' flip about anything right now, except traveling from Cali to Montana to Nebraska to St Louis to Huntsville to Memphis to Winnsboro to Dallas to catch a one way to Playa Del Carmen...

I'm going to say anytime before 62, because most people aren't able to do that.

To me, early retirement is about developing and implementing a plan to retire earlier than you could otherwise. IMHO, it doesn't matter much if "early" is age 40 or 70. What most of us have in common is the desire to take charge of our lives and do what it takes to retire sooner rather than later. Many people I know don't even think about it.

+1 We have a winnah!

To me, early retirement is about developing and implementing a plan to retire earlier than you could otherwise. IMHO, it doesn't matter much if "early" is age 40 or 70. What most of us have in common is the desire to take charge of our lives and do what it takes to retire sooner rather than later. Many people I know don't even think about it.

That pretty much describes us. My non-COLA pensions cover 70% of retirement expenses. The retirement investments need to cover the other 30%, plus inflation increases on all expenses.

I had plans to retire at 55. Then I got divorced and had to revise that target to 60 to compensate for the alimony. I consider 60 early because the assumption when I started working was 65.

I enjoyed working and I enjoy ER.

I mentioned retiring to a person last week and he looked at me like I was crazy. He thought I was about 50 so I did not tell him any different. I then asked the person how old he was. He said he was old. He then said he would turn 64 in September. I laughed and walked on. I think early retirement is about 64. I turn 64 next month. It just would feel right not working. So I go on. Does anyone ever feel guilty not working? Maybe there will be an age when this guilt thing will pass. For now I still work on. oldtrig

Hi everyone, thanks for responding. Made for interesting reading, with a very wide range of views presented.

Cheers.

Does anyone ever feel guilty not working? Maybe there will be an age when this guilt thing will pass. For now I still work on. oldtrig

A recent poll* in the Alan household shows 100% of ER's do not feel any pangs of guilt.

*sample size 2, avg age 55 yrs 7 months

I mentioned retiring to a person last week and he looked at me like I was crazy. He thought I was about 50 so I did not tell him any different. I then asked the person how old he was. He said he was old. He then said he would turn 64 in September. I laughed and walked on. I think early retirement is about 64. I turn 64 next month. It just would feel right not working. So I go on. Does anyone ever feel guilty not working? Maybe there will be an age when this guilt thing will pass. For now I still work on. oldtrig

I am only 43 but would quit working tomorrow and never desire to do it again if I were financially able to do so. I certainly would not feel guilty about it! In fact, I would feel quite the opposite. I would likely be very proud and boastful about it!:LOL:

In fact I often wonder why execs in my company who are in the 50's making a million plus per year are still working:confused: Just a couple years at that income level and they shouldn't have to work again.

Execs making that kind of money are driven. I suspect that most wouldn't be happy just walking away from that.

I wish I had some of their drive. I have the skills and training to do it, I just don't have the drive.

:LOL:
I say "tomayto", you say "tomahto", but we both like a nice ripe sliced one with fresh mozzarella, basil and a drizzle of olive oil, don't we?

You'd think so but personally I like a splash of balsamic vinegar and a pinch of sea salt with my tomahtoes, basil, mozarella, and olive oil.

The answer to the age cutoff for ER is actually simple: ER is any age younger than when DH and I retired, much like "Old" is any age older than DH and I are.

Back
Top Bottom