Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

younginvestor - I've been in the IT field, working with computers, in some form or fashion since I was 18.

I've been involved in almost every phase of the development life cycle: gathering requirements, development, testing, QA (Quality Assurance), and support.

My early days were centered around large systems COBOL development in an IBM mainframe environment. Then, I got my Microsoft certification (MCSE) and got into Windows NT deployments and support. When I got tired of that, I moved into enterprise storage, Fibre Channel, EMC, SANs, etc. Then I shifted to the support side, supporting large enterprise customers' storage environments. Currently, I've swung back into the development side of things doing a lot of Salesforce development and integration.

Unfortunately, after almost 30 years of this, I've grown to hate it. IT just doesn't interest me any more - I don't find it challenging nor rewarding any more.

Interesting thing that ties into your original post...I also had an interest in real estate. In 2005, I left the IT world, moved back to Colorado, and got my real estate license. I LOVED it. It finally gave me a chance to break out of the IT cubicle rat-race and interact with people doing something I felt made a difference. But I couldn't have picked a worse year than 2005 to get into real estate, as the market crashed and I couldn't make a go of it, and had to move back to Silicon Valley and back into IT.

I found real estate a lot of fun because you have to treat it like a business, and run every functional area yourself: Marketing, Sales, Finance, Operations, Customer Support, etc.

And here's the most important thing I can think of to tell somebody about real estate...it has less to do with helping people buy and sell homes, and more to do with being a SALES JOB.

You MUST have a sales pipeline, just like any other Sales organization. You have to do marketing, lead generation, lead qualification (so you're not wasting your time and money on people who won't go to closing), and close deals. Because you only get paid when your leads move through the pipeline and go to closing.

When I went through real estate school, I was amazed at the number of people who thought once they got their license, they'd just hang their shingle out, and people would beat a path to their door. Nothing's further from the truth. You have to market yourself aggressively, and treat it just like a sales job.

The one good thing for me was...I could never be a traditional sales person. If I have to try and convince somebody to buy my company's widget, I would fail horribly. I'm no good at that. BUT...in real estate, you can sell anybody's widget - any home that's on the market. What you're really selling is yourself, and I can do that just fine.

Anyway, I hope this info helps, and good luck! I really enjoyed real estate. I can honestly say of the almost 30 years I've been in the working world, only 2.5 years I really enjoyed, and those were the years I did real estate. I had more challenges and fun during those 2.5 years than I've had in all the other years of doing IT combined.

Good luck!
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

I was an examiner of financial institutions. First as a bank examiner (evaluating bank's management, financials, controls, and so on), then a compliance examiner (consumer protection, fair lending). Lots of opportunities to travel and meet people. Always interesting, but stressful.
cocobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Was the OP looking for a condensed catalog of American jobs?
Old 10-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am another IT person.

I studied Pascal at school in early '80s. Found my first job coding in C. Later on, I picked up C++ and Java. In later years, I went into management, then 'downgraded' as individual contributor now, though I do not code anymore. Coding is all done by offshore or H1-Bs.

I taught my Son Java and he took AP CompSci in HS. Looks like he is going to apply for CS this year. I am not sure how prevalent the jobs will be for him when he graduates, as was for me.
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #25
Confused about dryer sheets

I am also an I.T. person

Started in the Data Center Operations in mid 80's. Currently working as a systems administrator in Disaster Recovery and Data Storage.

Worked at a large Gas & Electric utility for 23 years, they outsourced I.T. 2 years ago. Hired by the outsourcer and working on the same account I was outsourced from.

Downside: was 2 years away from 65% pension and retiree healthcare.

Upside: working from home, no more 42 mile round trip commute (in N.Y.). Received 1 year severance and accrued enough time, age+years (@52) to receive a about 30% of my salary. Started collecting the pension 2 months after I left, direct deposit into Vanguard after Tax account

Transition was predicted at 3 years, I am 2 years in. I know I am done with I.T. after this gig. Really grew to dislike after 30 years. If this didn't fall into my lap, I would have had to re-invent my self a while ago. Not sure what I want to do when I grow up
Tinder8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Director of QA for a large multi plant foods company.
Responsible for quality assurance, food safety, governmental regulations compliance and laborotory operations. Requires a PhD in Food Science and experience.
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfanciscotreat View Post
Responsible for quality assurance, food safety, governmental regulations compliance and laborotory operations.
Wow. I sure hope you like your job.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I was an IT manager at a megacorp and now do IT type work at home. Sometimes I think I'd like a job working with people more, then I remember sitting in meetings all day with a bunch of people out of a Dilbert cartoon and the feeling goes away.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

IT. 30 years. Large system sales, sales management, services (consulting, outsourcing, break/fix) management, regional management. It has changed so much-the margins are much lower. That took a lot of the fun out of the business.

Started out from university in an accounting career. Hated it so I switched. Best thing I ever did. Enjoyable, challenging, interesting travel, lucrative income.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #30

HR services. Everything from sales to marketing, to finance and strategy, M&A and finally senior exec for 11 years. I'm also an introvert who was stuck in an extrovert's job for most of my career. I considered real estate as a second career once upon a time, but decided I didn't want to start at the bottom again since I'd already made it to one step from the top.

R
Old 11-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #31

My career path:

house painter > retail executive trainee > window (like the kind in your house) salesman > unemployed traveler > business development manager for internet company > internet company entrepreneur > unemployed traveler > dry cleaning entrepreneur > window sales entrepreneur > internet company marketing director > internet entrepreneur > internet company VP > business broker. Maybe by the time I hit 45 I'll figure out what I want to do with my life!
RenoJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Wow. I sure hope you like your job.
I did like my job and have enjoyed three years since retirement also.
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:40 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Just an old engineer. I looked at several alternatives over the years so I could stay home with the family, but nothing ever paid nearly as well. And much riskier. I did learn that you have to be ready to move to survive.
+1

I moved into various levels of management until the reorg hit after being acquired. Now I live the quiet life of being a regular old engineer.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:46 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
When I was in industry I thought of our mission as providing management with information and analyses that help them understand the business and make better business decisions and one of the more interesting part of my jobs was taking technical, complex issues and boiling them down to something so simple a CEO or board member could understand it.
Having been amongst the people you were providing information to, you probably seldom succeeded. I was amazed the number of times absolutely absurd decisions were made because of pre-existing opinions or they defended their part of the kingdom over the good of all. Facts just got in the way.

I've been told I have a problem with my cynicism; but with everything going on in the world, I find it difficult to keep up.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:49 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
I taught my Son Java and he took AP CompSci in HS. Looks like he is going to apply for CS this year. I am not sure how prevalent the jobs will be for him when he graduates, as was for me.
I am also IT.

FH2000... tell you son to find another discipline he likes, learn that too and the jobs will be plentiful. I have been doing IT programming/management for the Financial services industry for 25 years and I can never find enough people to hire with a CS background that can also talk "intelligently" to the business people. He will end up having issues finding a job if he only wants to sit in a box, get specs and write code.

The other thing is to decide is how hard he wants to work. I have made offers to people who did not except them because we work hard here and put in a lot of 9-5 hours (plus one or two outside that rage each day). A lot of the people I have tried to hire want flextime/casual dress and we do not have it. We pay very well, but expect a lot for it.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
I've been told I have a problem with my cynicism; but with everything going on in the world, I find it difficult to keep up.
If you're not cynical, you're just not paying attention!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfanciscotreat View Post
Director of QA for a large multi plant foods company.
Responsible for quality assurance, food safety, governmental regulations compliance and laborotory operations. Requires a PhD in Food Science and experience.
A good friend of mine is director of QC for a meat packaging plant and used to be a USDA inspector. She has some horror stories to tell..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
What job?
Old 11-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

What job?

I've been a minister since 1976 when I got out of seminary. Three churches. Three and a half years to go.
Revlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I second Meadbh's suggestion. I could tell you what I have done over my career(s), but it would be of no assistance to you. All of my work has required substantial, highly specialized training. Find what you are suited for and then devote yourself to that. It may or may not be real estate.
+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
And here's the most important thing I can think of to tell somebody about real estate...it has less to do with helping people buy and sell homes, and more to do with being a SALES JOB. You MUST have a sales pipeline, just like any other Sales organization. You have to do marketing, lead generation, lead qualification (so you're not wasting your time and money on people who won't go to closing), and close deals. Because you only get paid when your leads move through the pipeline and go to closing.
Here's the most important thing I can think of to tell somebody about real estate: Google "Glengarry Glen Ross speech", and watch the 7:09 minute YouTube clip that you'll find a link to.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #40

I worked as a mechanic, then bought my own auto and truck shop with money I saved and a loan from my Dad. I did that for over 25 years. I put in many 14 hour days 6 days a week. I finally closed my business at age 50 because it had took a toll on my body. I retired in 2012 as a golf course superintendent having worked at that job for almost 15 years. Never once sit behind a desk other than to fill out weekly paper work. I have no college education deciding instead to join the military in 1966 instead of waste my Dads money and my time in a class room. I made more money than most college grads did the years I was self employed and I did not have to answer to a boss. In 1980 I paid taxes on $68,000.00. Not bad for a dumb country boy. I am not knocking people who attend college but learning a skill like a mechanic will always keep you a job. I also am self taught, only learning what I could from my brother and Dad and reading plenty of books. At age 66 I am debt free and I hope my health holds out so I can enjoy those carefree days ahead. Health is much more important than money the way I see it. What good is money if you cannot enjoy it. oldtrig.
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote