Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is (or was) your level of stress at work on a scale of 0-10?
9-10 13 10.40%
7-8 37 29.60%
5-6 25 20.00%
3-4 21 16.80%
1-2 15 12.00%
0 6 4.80%
I don't work 8 6.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Re: What is your level of stress at work?
Old 04-24-2007, 12:35 AM   #21

I used to work in a hospital, near the morgue so I knew what mistakes were like.

In my megacorp, there is some stress and BS but my boss is pretty supportive and has been weeding out the angry cow-orkers.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2007, 06:12 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
I think it's very hard to understand the level of stress brought on by work until you quit working. I know I dramatically underestimated the level of stress work was causing in my life prior to retirement.
I dunno, every time I go on a long, pleasurable vacation, I get a much better read on how much stress I deal with every day. I read somewhere that the reason weekends usually don't seem restful is because it takes the human psyche 3 days off, in order to adjust & really enjoy oneself. It put real perspective on those long weekends I used to take to relax, that never felt quite relaxing enough.

this past week, my stress level was abhorrent. not to overshare, but my assistant remarked that when I have PMS, & my PMS-related freaking out is completely appropriate to the magnitude of BS that we put up with, then there is a Very Big Problem.

and %(*$@$!!! the cat just threw up. sigh. no rest for the overworked.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:38 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celany
and %(*$@$!!! the cat just threw up. sigh. no rest for the overworked.
Sorry to hear about your office, but I'm much more concerned about the corporate environment where the cat works...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:31 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

6 to 9.5 for me.

kiss ass, get along, pretentious, bo--sh--, rub elbows with the boss and many others thing i can do to bring the stress level lower BUT why bother?? Many people in the office already have that expertise.

enuff
Old 05-03-2007, 11:13 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Sorry to hear about your office, but I'm much more concerned about the corporate environment where the cat works...
well, the cat is part of the underground network of cats that are working towards taking over the world. I think the vomit was a test to recheck exactly how much I care about her, to make sure I still have Playing With Feathers status, versus Litter Box Cleaner status.

I was solicitous & offered graham crackers (one of the only human foods she likes), so I think I'm in the clear.

I hope they take over soon; I'm looking forward to my new job.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:17 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celany
well, the cat is part of the underground network of cats that are working towards taking over the world. I think the vomit was a test to recheck exactly how much I care about her, to make sure I still have Playing With Feathers status, versus Litter Box Cleaner status.

I was solicitous & offered graham crackers (one of the only human foods she likes), so I think I'm in the clear.

I hope they take over soon; I'm looking forward to my new job.
My cats seem to be sneaking around more lately and I've noticed that Bubba the black lab seems more nervous than usual. I think the revolution may be near.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:01 PM   #27

I had a dr appt yesterday afternoon, they checked my BP and it was HIGH. I told them the following

Had to be to work by 6:30 to perform routine tasks
7am Meeting with all supervisors
9:30 am Meeting with managers
10:30 Directors meeting
Finish daily work
4:15 dr appt meant leaving at 3pm for a 40 mile drive, fighting traffic, making to the appt with 5min to spare

She said come back on a day off and she'd check it again.

Yesterdays stress was off the chart.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:20 PM   #28

I consider my job to be high stress, but not super high. Managing people's life savings is a difficult job. I think it would be easier if I were in an institutional setting and I didn't know them personally and had never seen their face.

I'm not a surgeon, or fighter pilot, but I do get more than my share of sleepless nights and I'm on the the maximum dose for two prescription heartburn medicines.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:30 PM   #29

I used to be "important" but after being layed off and out of work for almost 2 years a certain perspective developed. Had I discovered this forum earlier, I wouldn't have to comment on my current employment.

Fortunately, the stress is "0" -- this is due to being a "billable" employee in work that is interesting if not overly demanding. If the client doesn't complain, my management loves me. The current client I'm working with requested me to be put on a long term project that will run another 18 months. I may not ride it the whole way; but when a client wants you, you must be ok -- at least until the next one vomits hair balls over you. The other reason is I know I can pull the cord anytime I want. It's just a question of lifestyle.

FWIW, I'm waiting for my in-laws to die since we're trapped in Houston until they do. I get 4 weeks of paid time off a year and can take unlimited unpaid time off (while supporting my project). There isn't much reason to stop the cash in flow when I'd be stuck in a mosquito feeding zone.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:54 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Prior to being acquired: 3-4; VC's, customers, employees, all managable
First 9 months after being acquired: 9-10; seriously sick several times after several "pissing" matches with new boss
Lately: a shakey 7-8, we're both trying to make some compromises

Just back from 2 straight weeks of working fun: central PA-Phili-Frankfurt-Dresden-Frankfurt-Milan-Frankfurt-Tel Aviv-Frankfurt-chicago-Tampa-Phili-home. (Dinners at 11PM, luggage stuck, missed meetings, worthless meetings, entertained by a few security line and passenger-flight attendent mishaps, etc). My favorite was Chicago-Tampa on United (Ted). Full flight, I had the isle and another guy had the window. Between us was the largest woman on the plane. He was mashed against the window (couldn't really see him) and I was leaning into isle, which is always good for a few accidental cart bashes. :P I look on the bright side; no food posioning, decent weather, kept up with my workouts, only one night in Frankfurt with no luggage (sink-hair dryer clothes washing routine), and home in one piece for a few weeks.