Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-10-2018, 04:16 PM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado

My DW and I will retire Jan 2019. My plan is to bicycle camp around Oregon. My DW and I want to travel out of the country more and maybe check out Portugal.

StephieJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2018, 05:13 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am working toward a 2022 exit. Will be mid-50's then. I dislike the stress of my job and am eager to have no schedule each day. Long run/walks, longer trips to the gym, winter in Hawaii, etc.... No major goals though.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:33 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't have any major goals. I'm just enjoying my hobbies, we adopted a rescue dog, we've met some nice fellow retirees in the senior clubs and we try to plan a get out of the house event each day, like a picnic followed by a walk in the Redwoods, seeing a movie or a night out dancing.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:42 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

My dream is to retire when I turn 58 and reach full retirement age at work, and then immediately jump in our motor home and head south where it is warm in the winter. I envision being in the motor home for about 25 weeks a year touring the country and chasing 70 degree weather. I also plan to continue serving on a couple of Boards and “getting my hands dirty” on our farm and in my wood shop. I’ve been blessed and will look for ways “to give back” during my retirement. Maybe we will be able to travel in a motor home with some future grandchildren.
KMyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:05 PM   #45
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMyer View Post
My dream is to retire when I turn 58 and reach full retirement age at work, and then immediately jump in our motor home and head south where it is warm in the winter. I envision being in the motor home for about 25 weeks a year touring the country and chasing 70 degree weather. I also plan to continue serving on a couple of Boards and “getting my hands dirty” on our farm and in my wood shop. I’ve been blessed and will look for ways “to give back” during my retirement. Maybe we will be able to travel in a motor home with some future grandchildren.
I like it!
ab620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:44 PM   #46
Confused about dryer sheets

Retire from my low-stress job in my mid 50s (12 years to go). Find things to stay busy until my wife fully retires (10 years behind me). keep building our urban homestead, climb some mountains, manage our aging long distance parents. Occasionally spend a month abroad on the cheap (we'll be those old folks in the youth hostel).
thefamilytruckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:06 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm not entirely sure yet. I have three very different dreams in my head about what I could do.

In one I buy a house, get a dog, and settle into a very relaxing lifestyle focused on living healthy, learning new things, hobbies, and spending more time with my parents, as they are approaching 80 and could use some help. Maybe continue to work part-time.

In a second vision, I take off for asia or south america, and travel around. Living in different countries for a few months at a time and then moving on. Just one big adventure.

In a third vision, I buy an RV and set off on a multi-year road trip in the US. Driving from place to place, seeing the sights.

The first vision is the most likely. The 2nd and 3rd would be way outside of my comfort zone, but maybe that's what I need to do.

Financially I'm very very close. I'm actually surprised at how close I am.

I will turn 42 in 2018. I have pretty reliable income from my taxable investments of $28k per year. I'd like to get that to $35k at least. I am vested in a state pension which I can collect at 60. The pension and social security will be more than I need for retirement. So my taxable investments just need to get me to 60. I also have a Roth IRA and 401k, for even more money at 60+.

I want to get my income to $35k, maybe $40k.

My w-2 income is $70k. With my w-2 income and taxable income, I can invest around $52k per year, plus whatever dividend growth and capital gains I make.

Current living expenses, excluding taxes, is around $30k. Almost half of that goes to rent ($12k)... so if I bought a house, even with a mortgage, it would probably reduce my living expenses by $5k-$6k with a mortgage. If I paid off a house I think it would lower my living expense by $8k-$9k.. I could buy a nice house for $100k where I live now.
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:17 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm living my dream. Top floor of a villa in Zihantenejo looking at people fish in the bay. No agenda
Old 01-29-2018, 08:24 AM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I always thought we would take long slow travel. You know 2 months in Florence. a month on Lake Como, long term rental in London. maybe a house in NZ,etc. Didn’t work out that way. Turned out we needed to be closer to aging parents who needed our help. So instead bought a couple of vacation type homes in North America. Things change, you adapt, all good.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:30 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

We live a simple life, a few vacations a year, live frugally. My big retirement dream is to be healthy to enjoy it. Our yearly spending is @ 60K. Love our neighbors and spend lots of time with friends and family. Nothing extravagant.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:55 PM   #51
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
I'm living my dream. Top floor of a villa in Zihantenejo looking at people fish in the bay. No agenda
Andy Dufresne is that you?

ab620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:59 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
I always thought we would take long slow travel. You know 2 months in Florence. a month on Lake Como, long term rental in London. maybe a house in NZ,etc. Didn’t work out that way. Turned out we needed to be closer to aging parents who needed our help. So instead bought a couple of vacation type homes in North America. Things change, you adapt, all good.
Yes! In 2008, MIL died of lung cancer, and our snowbird life began in earnest. We rent through airbnb for a month in Europe.

But we will probably adjust the lifestyle again after 10 years. We want to see South America, for example. That conflicts with winters in Mexico. So we might rent out our place when we travel to South America, Africa and Australia.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:12 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
My goal was to travel and really get into my hobbies. I’m well under way.
+1. My goals have always evolved, and I don’t know why that would change in retirement. I also can’t be happy doing one thing, I enjoy life more if I’m involved in lots of different activities. I’ve ticked over 70 items off my evolving bucket list with many more to go. However, my main focus when I retired 6 years ago was sailing and sail racing. That’s run it’s course, though I’ll still daysail and race OPB, but my main focus now is on reviving a golf game. Who knows what it will be in 5-10 years.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:41 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

I didn't really have a "goal", other than working until vested in pension and retiree health care. But now that I am retired, I like being able to do what I want, when I want. We are eating healthier, sleeping better, traveling enough to keep things interesting. So far, retirement life is pretty darn good!
Old 02-01-2018, 07:36 PM   #55
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab620 View Post
I will start. I want to RE at about 55, purchase a catamaran, and sail around the world for about 6 years. The DW is on board.

During this time the Wife and I will be delivering school supplies to remote island schools and helping kids anyway we can.

What is your Goal?
Can I have your goal
sterlingmossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:47 PM   #56
Dryer sheet aficionado

Here is my more serious answer:

- Retire in 2020 - Our goal is to get fit and see the world
- Hike the Pacific Crest Trail for 6 months
- Fly to New Zealand and go sailing with my pal in Fiji & Tonga for our winter
- THen buy a catermeran and sail the: med, atlantic, caribbean, etc until bored.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:39 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Our goals
  • Retire at 59 in March 2020 after collecting the 2019 bonus. Maxed retiree medical and nearly 35 years max to SS at this point.
  • Buy a 9mm Glock and put a nice round hole through the forehead of my alarm clock.
  • Move to Florida in a nice house on an island. (completed )
  • Spend time on improving personal fitness.
  • Spend time growing together with spouse.
  • Travel to the Med, UK and Europe. Then Japan, Australia and New Zealand. Maybe the Holy Land if there is peace in the middle east during our lifetimes.
  • Complete lingering house projects and community volunteer between trips.
  • After overseas bucket list is done, buy a big used Newmar RV. Run all over the continent chasing 70 degree weather.
  • Spoil the grandkids when they finally arrive on the scene.
And most importantly...... never ever work for a paycheck ever again.

Now get the heck off my lawn

atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:45 AM   #58
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmsmshr View Post
Our goals
  • Move to Florida in a nice house on an island. (completed )

Cool, which island?
Old 02-02-2018, 05:51 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Orchid island - part of the treasure coast. Paradise except when the wind goes above 100 mph.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:40 AM   #60
Dryer sheet aficionado

Looks great. I was musing on captiva island a while back. Seems like it would be fun.