Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-25-2018, 09:44 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

At this point, not really sure.

Been semi-retired since 2015. My business partner is pushing for 4.5 more years (I would be 49) and funnily enough, DW is agreeing with him.
We probably don't need the money but I'm going along with them because.. not sure really. Inertia, perhaps.

I regret pursuing money so hard for the 15 years prior to semi-retire and not living a little more along the way. DW health has really deteriorated and we missed a lot of prime years for travel and adventure. Now she can't travel and get around very well so we are more limited than we would have been back then.. oh well, the old money vs time problem.

Now I have negotiated with the partner and gotten even more time off starting next year (13 weeks off, including 2 x four weekers) and will only work 3 days a week from now on.

I guess my goal is making the most of what I've got.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2018, 07:25 PM   #82
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie911 View Post
No grand plans for retirement. Just want to be freed from job responsibilities and free to do as I please. I'd likely do more outdoor activities, maybe pickup a few other hobbies, eat, sleep, exercise and relax. I'm more of homebody, so I don't plan on doing big trips or adventures/experiences away from home.
I'm right there with you. This sounds perfect to me. We want to find someplace new to put down roots and then let those roots grow. Hopefully a cool historic town with some nice natural beauty (state parks, etc) close by so we can take lots of nature walks.
RachaelandtheGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
What is your retirement Goal/Dream?
Old 04-02-2018, 07:08 PM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab620 View Post
I will start. I want to RE at about 55, purchase a catamaran, and sail around the world for about 6 years. The DW is on board.

During this time the Wife and I will be delivering school supplies to remote island schools and helping kids anyway we can.

What is your Goal?

To sleep all the way through the night. To get my blood pressure under control. To not be so stressed out all the time.

I figure it will take a few months to decompress. I’ll work on longer term goals after that...
Old 04-02-2018, 07:36 PM   #84

Getting "lucky" with DW, 3-4 times a week.
I got the income, travel, shelter, and discretionary income taken care of.
If I was only more "lucky"..........
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:55 PM   #85

I was reminded this morning of one of my goals... being able to SLOW DOWN! I was leaving the gym just after 6:00 am and an old dude was in front of me slowly walking down the middle of the walkway. I would guess he is retired because he was pretty old and he walked SLOW! I, on the other hand, was hustling off to work, trying to get around him, almost in a run, and checking email as I moved quickly toward my car for another day at the office. The old dude just sauntered off to his car and probably went to get a cup of coffee or something. That's what I want!
Old 04-05-2018, 08:22 AM   #86
Dryer sheet aficionado

My goal retire by 60, walleye fish when it's nice, not on days off in ugly weather, hook up the camper and camp for weeks instead of weekends. Buy a place in AZ for wintering so I won't have to shovel snow. Enjoy every day, my job requires 365/24 coverage for the last 31 yrs have missed many family events, worked many nights and a boat load of weekends. I can't imagine whats it will be like having a routine sleep pattern. I have 6 yr 11 months til retirement but currently expecting my job to last 3-5 yrs due to closing the plant down, but i'm okay with that began downsizing and preparing.
Rksolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:34 PM   #87
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Getting "lucky" with DW, 3-4 times a week.
I got the income, travel, shelter, and discretionary income taken care of.
If I was only more "lucky"..........

Only if we all could get more "Lucky".
ab620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:24 AM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

I tested retirement about 3 years ago with a 9 month sabbatical. It was awesome, but I did get bored, and the amount of money I could make in my field (high tech security software sales) is borderline ridiculous. So, I'm now in my final year or two (or three maybe) of leading a large team. At some point, I'll pull the ripcord for good. However, my real concern is boredom. A little bit of that is *great*, but a lot of that would not be good. Problem is, I am so busy now (travel about 75% of the time, much of it international) that I don't really have time for hobbies or anything outside of work.

I guess I will figure it out though!
Unpaintedhuffhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:56 AM   #89
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Already living the dream, as they say
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:50 PM   #90
Dryer sheet aficionado

Aim to retire in early 40s, spend lots of time with our young kids, increase my charity work, continue blogging, learn sailing & live life
Zorwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #91

I honestly don’t have a clear vision, which has bothered me as FI approaches. I did have an insight today, however. In building my career I have experienced the power of written goal setting, visioning and setting of clear intentions such that I’ve been remarkably on track with savings and investing goals that I set 20+ years ago, and I’ve achieved all the big goals I had for my career. I’m not trying to say my life is perfect or that I’m super rich, just that the stuff I’ve gotten very clear on wanting for my life has, for the most part, in fact manifested itself, sometimes even miraculously.

So, my insight today was, “I should set a written intention (ER.org will do!) that I will FIRE in three years when a major work initiative wraps in 2021 and that I will then work to create a satisfying, fulfilling semi-retirement. It will involve interesting and creative part-time work that is not in my current field, time with family, service to others, travel and fitness.” Over the years I have created a growing list of 90 options for semi-retirement, some good and some, well, “What was I thinking?”. Despite my efforts, the perfect thing is not on that list, though some are pretty interesting.

My insight is that I just need to take the leap to get myself free, play around for a while, try some of that stuff and other stuff, then focus on creating a fulfilling future.

I hope that makes some sense as a retirement goal/dream in and of itself, because I don’t think “The Dream” or “The Goal” is likely to appear to me before I allow myself to get free. As I think about it, my whole career came about the same way, which has worked out rather well, so why not do the same intuitive, experimental approach for my semi-retirement?
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:59 AM   #92

Honestly, I look forward to just doing more of the same during ER minus the w*rk part.

More skiing.
More beaches.
More hikes/walks.
More travel.
More homestyle cooking.
More research (i don't typically read books, but do lots of research online)
More of the good thing on the bad leg...or the bad thing on the good leg.
More time with family.

Less bad carbs, salt, sugar, fat and calories.

Well look at that, 8 things I can do to substitute the 8 hours I would've spent at work WAITING to do these things.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #93

The overarching goals/dreams are to travel the world and volunteer. We do both now, but want to do more of both.

My retirement timeline has changed. After a divorce last year (sigh), I have met a wonderful man who is 12 years older. My plan now it to retire in 3 years instead of 8, so that we can do all of the things we want while he is in 60s; so I am shooting for 52 instead of 57. It's a bonus that he has saved his whole life too and is still working. We'll retire at the same time...funny how life changes....
Old 04-09-2018, 04:45 PM   #94
Dryer sheet aficionado

One point stands out for me in a lot of the responses on this thread. The notion of 'slowing down' while not being retired. I have been working myself a bit crazy trying to implement a plan to retire but this gives a good perspective. The plan may take longer than I was hoping for but perhaps 'slowing down' is a real option.
Zorwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote