Join Early Retirement Today

What is your retirement Goal/Dream?
Old 01-08-2018, 09:32 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

What is your retirement Goal/Dream?

I will start. I want to RE at about 55, purchase a catamaran, and sail around the world for about 6 years. The DW is on board.

During this time the Wife and I will be delivering school supplies to remote island schools and helping kids anyway we can.

What is your Goal?
ab620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2018, 10:58 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab620 View Post
I will start. I want to RE at about 55, purchase a catamaran, and sail around the world for about 6 years. The DW is on board.

During this time the Wife and I will be delivering school supplies to remote island schools and helping kids anyway we can.

What is your Goal?
Mine is much limited. Sleep late and get up late.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:15 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

My dream/hope is for there to be guaranteed continuing medical insurance coverage under the Affordable Care Act. In CA we can continue insurance under federal and state COBRA laws for 36 months. That leaves me 36 months short of Medicare if I were to retire at age 59 in March.
GoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:46 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:

What is your Goal?
As opposed to swimming behind?
Old 01-09-2018, 03:02 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
Mine is much limited. Sleep late and get up late.
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up along with the ability to return from a vacation and not have to get up for work the next day (I will be so happy the first time that happens). And a world cruise. That's on the bucket list. Hopefully.
retiringby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:51 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Very long road trip, followed by very long cruise, and we’ll figure it out from there. At this point health insurance coverage concerns, and responsibilities for elderly MIL are cause for delay.
imokurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:11 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

RE at 57, oh, did that. Travel a lot for photography. Oh, doing that.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:55 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
purchase a catamaran, and sail around the world for about 6 years.

Sounds like an awesome plan. My wife is in the medical field and I've wondered before if she/we could donate some time to some impoverished countries in paradise while we sail around on our boat, sounds pretty great.

My current dream is to retire at 55 hopefully with good enough health to head right from the office into the woods and hike the entirety of the Sierra Nevadas, or if feeling really adventurous, the entire PCT. Once that hard stuff is out of the way, on to the boat. Snowbirding along the east coast, then when my friends are ready, doing the Great Loop with a couple or few other couples. Now I just need everything to go according to plan for the next twenty years...
mrWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:31 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We plan. God laughs.

I'd planned to retire at 65 and joked that my fantasy was to buy a house on a lake and get a kayak. Toxic politics led me to leave at 61- don't regret that at all. DH and I actually did find a house on a lake in our price range- a little bigger than we wanted (but still smaller than the house we owned before it), on a 3-acre lake. I did buy a kayak.

In the intervening 3.5 years I learned more than I ever wanted to about lake ecology and dam construction. The dam is an ancient earthen one and it's leaking- fortunately into a wooded area that's not developed, but all of us at the lakefront have a steep drop down to the lake and it's getting worse. Last time I tried launching the kayak, I got grounded and had a terrible time extricating it from the muck. The kayak is now in my garage. The HOA meeting is in 3 weeks. This will not be a happy meeting- we can't even find someone to quote on the dam repair because we're considered residential business.

On the bright side- and it truly is mostly bright- I am traveling beyond my wildest dreams and loving it. My granddaughters live 3 hours away and they're delightful. I still love the house. It's an architect's original and sometimes when I drive up I can't believe I live there. I just hope I don't end up with a view of a pit from all the lake-facing windows!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:46 AM   #10

For over 30 years, the plan was to retire at 55, and travel around the states (and some overseas). Told DW the plan before we got married, she didn't believe I could do it, but the plan was in place. I missed the date by 2 months. Since then, we have traveled for about 12 weeks with another 4 weeks in Feb, and another 2 weeks in Hawaii in the fall, been recovering from 2 carpel tunnel surgeries (me), ankle surgery (DW), total knee replacement (me again) and various other ailments (both), and I wouldn't change a thing (except maybe get the carpel tunnel done before I retired so more on the company!).
Overall, not what I planned with all of the health issues, but I was able to be there for DW while she was sick, and we are back on track.
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:43 PM   #11

The goal is to retire in our 50's and travel 6 months of the year annually: 1.5 months in Asia, 1.5 months in Europe, 1.5 months of cruising, 1.5 month to North American destinations, road trips, and other. The remaining 6 months at home is to enjoy the summers in Vancouver with all the corresponding festivities and events as well as retaining our provincial health coverage.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:18 PM   #12

My dream is to win the lottery. That being said I retired two years earlier than I imagined and currently living the dream. Wants and needs are simple but they include a chunk of time down south to get out of the drab winters here. Some time dreams are interrupted like having five grandchildren, then you make new ones. Love my house, area of the country and flexibility to do what tickles my fancy.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Mine was to retire at 40. Failed.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:41 PM   #14

My retirement dream was to put the snow thrower in the back of the pickup truck and drive south until people started asking what that machine was for. DW didn't want to go that far from family. And I just bought a new snow thrower.

Other than that, things are going great.

Note the tagline:
Old 01-09-2018, 03:45 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

My dream was to retire at ~55 and enjoy a mindful existence that included golf, home cooking and comfortable travel at a relaxed pace. So far, so good!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:53 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Our dream was to retire to our extremely low COL area, and to spend summers across town at our lake house on the Tennessee River. We also have a RV in the mountains.

Our daughter has been quite a behavioral problem and we ended up having to raise our granddaughter in retirement. She is now 6 years old and in the first grade at a private school. While I wanted to be traveling the world at this point of my life, I do love taking this very sharp, precious little girl to and from school daily.

We cherish every day, and pray our health will hold up long enough to raise Brynley. Anyway it goes, she will be financially provided for.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:07 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

To have fun and be happy. To do whatever I want.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:13 PM   #18

Very high stress career, so the plan was to retire at 55 and do whatever I wanted for the rest of my life, avoiding all stress factors.

So far, so good. Life is wonderful.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:13 PM   #19

Rekindling the magic of young love

My retirement dream is to spend years as a couple with DW. We got married and before we could blink life became a blur: jobs, grad schools, relocations and, especially, children. Five kids occupied all our time and energy for the next thirty-odd years, and as much as I love them I regret not having had more time when it was just the two of us.

Oh, and naps. I want to take lots of naps.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:19 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

My goal was to travel and really get into my hobbies. I’m well under way.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote