Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicbookgujy View Post
I would tell my 22 years old to save as much as possible and live with a roommate or your parent, if possible.

Because when you're 40, you're going to be sick of the working world and job titles and compensation won't make any difference.

Just trying to surviving 5 more years and be FI and get out of this rat race.
The goal of getting to the top when you're 22 doesn't matter to you when you're 40. At 40...you just hope you don't die on the job like your other co-workers iheir 40's and 50's
Exactly. Comicbookguy, I hope you can make it in 5 years. I'm not myself going to retire in 5 years, but 5 more years from now, I'll have my 20 years in. At that point, I'm going to do something else I'll like.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheTaxMan View Post
Go back in the time machine for those older members. What would you tell your 22 year old self? Knowing what you know now.
I would tell the 22 y.o. to write down these lotto numbers and to invest in Apple stocks etc.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheTaxMan View Post
Go back in the time machine for those older members. What would you tell your 22 year old self? Knowing what you know now.
"Live below your means"
I didn't actually start doing that till I was about 29.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicbookgujy View Post
Because when you're 40, you're going to be sick of the working world and job titles and compensation won't make any difference....
+1 good advice.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There is a really good novel by Ken Grimwood called Replay that basically covers this question. The main character dies at 43 and wakes up in his college dorm room at 18, confused, but fully remembering his life. He has a chance to relive his life, make a fortune betting on sports events he knows the outcome of and picking stocks that will take off, trying to avoid or fix relationship issues, and so on. He dies again at 43, and repeats the cycle continuously, coming back a bit older each time. As you can guess, it doesn't all go smoothly. It was written in the 80s but its not hard to imagine in any time frame.
Replay: Ken Grimwood: 9780688161125: Amazon.com: Books
Old 07-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I'd tell him to think about how others perceive him especially when he's making a first impression and to tone down the sarcasm.
This
Old 07-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wear sunscreen.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #28

Just ran across this at Forbes.com.

20 Things 20-Year-Olds Don't Get - Forbes
Old 07-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't buy that Saturn, it'll be a bum at 150k in miles.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
Just ran across this at Forbes.com.

20 Things 20-Year-Olds Don't Get - Forbes
I love that story. Pick up the phone is the most important lesson in that,
Old 07-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #31

I would have told myself, "You're too young to get married. Finish college, start a career, and travel."
Keep It Up, young gauss!
Old 07-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #32

Keep It Up, young gauss!

I would tell my 22 year old self to stick with your plan, it has worked out better than you thought it would!

Some specifics include:
  1. Get a partner with similar values, that you also enjoy being with & also has a good income of their own.
  2. Challenge conventional wisdom via critical thinking. Don't worry about keeping up with the Jones or anyone else.
  3. Front load your retirement savings early by not increasing your standard of living post college. Every $ not saved now would have been worth many times more 25 years from now ( ie look at the right hand side of an exponential graph).
  4. Don't have kids if you are not doing it for the right reason (ie trying to conform to societies expectations, please your parents etc.)
  5. Buy experiences, not stuff. Memories are worth much more down the line.
-gauss
Old 07-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

At 22 I was already a saver, interested in compound interest, etc. Financially there wasn't much to say. I was socially shy and awkward, so I guess I could tell myself to relax and take a few social chances.

That was also the year I lost my leg in a garden tool accident. Ultimately I'd rather have my foot, so I guess a heads up would be due. But that experience did shape many things that came.

Just before that time, my parents were musing about their kids and likened one brother to my mother and another to my father. Then they came to me, and said that I am my own. That was pretty liberating to me.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

If I could go back, I would tell my self to borrow as much money as I could and invest in S&P otm call options.

-Currently 23 and last year was a good one for stocks.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:32 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Resign your commission, you are going to get blown up next year.
But those whom the Truth would indict."

Robert Burns
poorcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:47 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

To give up the negative thoughts that stopped me from saving money. I never thought I'd own a home so I just spent every dime I had. I had no clue about retirement and so spent every dime I had. Got into early credit card debt that has never ceased.

And now, at 54, I own no home, I only have pension and a very small 457 for retirement and credit card debt. I just had no confidence that I could do more.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:00 AM   #37

Stay in shape. I was a lacrosse player through college and was in great condition at 22. It's much easier to maintain speed and strength than to try and get it back.

I was always concerned about $, afraid I would not have enough or would lose my job. Saving and learning about investing was pressed into me by my depression era parents. Building a portfolio was in my blood.......thank heavens! The thought of still working at this point is very distasteful. I have been free for 7+ years now and enjoy it very much.....
Old 07-31-2013, 10:03 AM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't have listened when I was 22 either, but clearly the OP won't accept that answer. And making honest mistakes is an essential part of growing/learning like it or not...but most 22 year olds may not grasp that.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Guys, I was not trying to be a smart a$$, just being honest. What worked for me was to spend a few years running wild and not doing any saving. At about 27 or 28 I was tired of being broke, and I have been saving ever since. You have to live your life as it comes.

I think without sowing my wild oats as a youngster, I would be tempted to do it in middle age. Now I'm never tempted to waste money or do stupid things. Although I did spend $17.7K this morning on a 13 Camry LE from up in Indiana. In eight days when it gets here, we will see if it was a smart buy or not.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:24 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larro Darro View Post
Guys, I was not trying to be a smart a$$, just being honest. What worked for me was to spend a few years running wild and not doing any saving. At about 27 or 28 I was tired of being broke, and I have been saving ever since. You have to live your life as it comes.
I knew exactly what you meant and judging from the comments, others did too. Looks like the OP misread you. Hopefully we haven't scared him off