Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

2% cash back Capital One Visa. No foreign currency exchange fees.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2014, 09:48 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

AAFES Card (military exchange stores)
Amazon

That is all.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:06 AM   #23

American Express/Costco and Chase for places that don't take Amex (and for certain places/categories where cash back is 5%).
Old 02-02-2014, 10:56 AM   #24

I like to keep life simple; use the FIDO Amex everywhere we can for the 2% and a MC with no fee for the few places that don't take Amex. Hadn't redeemed the Amex points for several years, did a month or so ago and it was, well, quite rewarding! Have thought about investigating an airline linked CC as we spend $5-8k a year on tickets and could probably generate more miles or points to get upgrades. I find the airline FF miles thing very confusing though in terms of what can be used for what. Then again, I like things simple.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:42 AM   #25

Despite a flurry of recent use of my BofA cashback credit card, I don't use it very often. It is the only one I carry although its predecessor, a Citibank CC (with a worthless "Rewards" program), I keep at home as a backup card. I have one revolving annual charge with that card to keep the account open.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:25 AM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

I noticed not one person (that I saw) listed a Capital One card. **edited I was only on page 1 at the time I posted that and looks like one person on page 2 uses one

Based on that, are people basically saying that it isn't a great card for rewards?

We have over 200,000 points on our Cap 1 card. We also have a Marriott card and a Priority Club (Holiday Inn) card that I got years ago when I was traveling a ton.

We mostly use the Capital 1 card.

After skimming through this thread, I'm wondering what the absolute best card(s) are?
Old 02-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #27

I have a Discover It for cashback and FICO score and a Citi Visa for places that don't accept Discover.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Costco Amex for most things, and Shitty CitiBank AA MC for air travel and monthly bills.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:18 PM   #29

Costco Amex for cash back.
Cap One Visa for no foreign exchange fees and mileage.

I have the autopay accounts on cap one. I use Amex as my #1 choice.

I have another visa (AAA) in a drawer. Won't close it because it's my longest held card and would impact my credit score if I closed it.

I have a debit visa through the credit union - but only use that for ATM.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #30

Er .... is this a hold up?
Old 02-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Er .... is this a hold up?
Until I get some wallets full of cash it won't be
Old 02-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #32

We use one CC with one backup:

Costco AmEx - decent cash back (3%,2%,1% depending on category) and no annual fee (beyond CostCo membership)

BofA Travel Visa - (backup card for when AmEx isn't accepted) We just switched to this one because it has no annual fee, no foreign transaction fee and a chip in it. It also turns out to offer "one of" numbers which can be used for single transaction. I've used this a few times for online merchants. Even so, since we haven't done any over seas travels since getting this card, we almost never use it. We cancelled the older Visa card this replaced.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:50 PM   #33
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by iibgdi View Post
I noticed not one person (that I saw) listed a Capital One card. **edited I was only on page 1 at the time I posted that and looks like one person on page 2 uses one
I actually have 2 Cap One cards:

Capital One MC Advantage
Capital One MC Rewards
BOA VISA Rewards
Discover
Chase Disney

And $0 balance on all.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:31 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting follow up to my recent post on this thread...

I carry the Capital One Venture Visa Card which returns 2% cash back on travel purchases and has no foreign currency fees. I recently completed a trip to Costa Rica. CR charges a $30 "exit fee" at the airport upon departure. I charged the fee to my card and returned home to discover that they had treated this as a "cash advance" resulting in an additional $10 cash advance service charge to my account. I called Capital One and they agreed to reverse the $10 charge.

I wasn't expecting this but it was a pleasant surprise. I have been very pleased with this credit card and now even more so.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I use my AMEX Blue Cash card for most all of my purchases. Up to 5% back on supermarket, gas, and drugstore.
https://www295.americanexpress.com/c...CARDS/77/1/0/0

I have an Amazon Visa that I don't really use. If AMEX is not accepted I mainly revert to my debit.

My husband uses a Chase Visa and it has rotate cash back categories. He had not redeemed anything for 1.5 years and we just got a $500 credit. Came in handy as that was the same bill where we paid for a new head gasket on the Subaru!

Capitol One was opened just for our Canadian weddingmoon. Our other cards have a foreign transaction fee which I found out after a work trip to Finland. I will probably just be used for vacations out of the US.