What's your Current Age/Retirement Age/Total working years

Current Age: 52, just had a birthday this month!
Planned Retirement Age: 54
FI reached this year. Now working to achieve lower SWR.

No pension.

Current Age: 52, just had a birthday this month!
Planned Retirement Age: 54
FI reached this year. Now working to achieve lower SWR.

No pension.

Thanks for the input. What criteria did you use to determine FI? What SWR are you working towards and what could you sustain now?

Current age 41

Target "retirement" age 44

I'm FI with a SWR of 4% but will get it down to 3% by the time I'm 44. I plan to take a break for a year or so and then who knows. The idea of working 10 to 15 hours per week sounds appealing. :)

Current age 41

Target "retirement" age 44

I'm FI with a SWR of 4% but will get it down to 3% by the time I'm 44. I plan to take a break for a year or so and then who knows. The idea of working 10 to 15 hours per week sounds appealing. :)

Wow, that is great! I'm 32 now and retirement by 48 is a maybe. I'd love to be in a similar position at 41. Maybe if I work really hard in the coming years... It's tough to swing with a family and one income, but I'm still hopeful!

Wow, that is great! I'm 32 now and retirement by 48 is a maybe. I'd love to be in a similar position at 41. Maybe if I work really hard in the coming years... It's tough to swing with a family and one income, but I'm still hopeful!

The key is to get a couple of promotions and keep your lifestyle from increasing. I earn more than double what I did 5 years ago yet I spend 30% less. I refinanced the house and swapped the BMW out for a used Honda.

Best of luck and I look forward to following your progress!

current age - 57
retirement age - before I reach 58 (less than 6 months)
total working years - 32
pension - yes, but frozen several years ago

can't wait to get there...

Curious to hear everyone's current age, projected/goal retirement age, and total number of years worked when you hit your retirement age, and also if you are expecting a pension of any sort. For total number of years worked, I'm counting career years, not the gigs during high school or college.

Retirement age: DW at 50. I just stopped my part-time consulting work this year.
Career years: DW 27 years, me 31 years.
Pension: What's a pension?

Current age - 48
Retirement Age - 47
Total number of years worked - 22
No pension - just personal stash, and SS (in the future)

As I think I've mentioned here before, my current state of retirement was brought about by a layoff, after which I discovered that my will to work had disappeared. Subsequently, I have retired at a lower standard of living than I had hoped. However, I have food and drink, a roof over my head, a bicycle, internet access, a Netflix subscription, and 2 lovely kitties for company. I'm as happy as a pig in poop :)

Current age = 50
Retired at = 49
Worked = 26 years
Pension = yes, but not planning to tap until 65. meanwhile, supporting myself with taxable investments

Current age: 58

Retired at 52 (thought it would be 57, but this forum convinced us that we were good to go)

Worked 28 years

No pension. Supporting self on mostly tax free interest from savings

Retirement

CA=54
RA=56/57
WY=30 + 6 1/2 time

Hope to modify employment to half-time at 56/57 and draw out at a low rate. Will qualify for retirement at 56 with health benefits.
If half time not practical will work another year or two. Plan to withdraw at 5% until SS kicks in, then reduce withdrawal rate to 3%. Calculations suggest we need an increase of 30-35% in portfolio to retire more than comfortably; could live on current amount after selling retirement home and downsizing.
I'm curious if anyone has withdrawn at higher rate until Social Security, which could be viewed as an annuity (and DW's SS will be higher although later). Also considering a delayed annuity for wife, who is likely to live longer, as another assured income stream, but there's a lot of time for considering this.

I'm curious if anyone has withdrawn at higher rate until Social Security, which could be viewed as an annuity (and DW's SS will be higher although later).
Yes, we both are.

I retired at age 59 but don't plan on taking SS till age 70 (primarily for the benefit of DW).

DW retired this year (64) but will be delaying SS till FRA age of 66.

Since a great deal of our retirement assets are in tax-deferred instruments, it allows us to reduce our respective portfolio's, which in turn reduce the amount of "excess" RMD's at age 70.5. Excess RMD's mean withdrawls required by tax laws, not necessarily that we need the money.

In addition, it aids a bit in portfolio management since we will be "trading in" a good portion of our portfolio for a future inflation adjusted lifetime annuity - AKA SS.

Just remember that under this scenerio you can't necessarily go with a measurement of the 4% rule. While our withdrawls are higher than 4% at the current time, it will drop to just over 2% of the then forecast value at our joint age of 70 - after two small pensions (DW) and our respective SS income flows start over the next five years.

Last edited:
Yes, we both are.

I retired at age 59 but don't plan on taking SS till age 70 (primarily for the benefit of DW).

DW retired this year (64) but will be delaying SS till FRA age of 66.

Since a great deal of our retirement assets are in tax-deferred instruments, it allows us to reduce our respective portfolio's, which in turn reduce the amount of "excess" RMD's at age 70.5. Excess RMD's mean withdrawls required by tax laws, not necessarily that we need the money.

In addition, it aids a bit in portfolio management since we will be "trading in" a good portion of our portfolio for a future inflation adjusted lifetime annuity - AKA SS.

Just remember that under this scenerio you can't necessarily go with a measurement of the 4% rule. While our withdrawls are higher than 4% at the current time, it will drop to just over 2% of the then forecast value at our joint age of 70 - after two small pensions (DW) and our respective SS income flows start over the next five years.
+1

Same for us. Fido RIP shows our w/d being >4% to start and ~2% later as we're collecting 2xSS and pension.

Current age: Me 54 and DW 50
Retirement age: Me 57 and DW 52
Years worked: Me 34 and DW 29
Pension: Me none and DW small non-COLA

Current age = 55
Retire at 55-58 as I decide
Worked full time 37 years, with 25 years of part-time (not counting 8 years small biz and 11 years night school)
Pension = yes, Military reserve at 60, COLA
Savings to be FI, no mortgage, debt
Three kids moved out and independent

Current age - 48 (wife 42, home maker, no income)
Retire Age - 60-62
Worked full-time for 25 years
Pensions (expected) - Army Reserve at 60 ($24,000 annually), Current employer ($60,000 annually if nothing changes), COLA for army
401K and Roth IRAs
Will have mortgage debt, one way or another

I may be able to retire sooner.....depends on how deep into 7 figures I can get my 401K

Current age: 40
Projected Retirement Age: 55-60
Working years: 37-42 :facepalm:
Pension: World's smallest pension from my first employer ~$188/mo, ha ha.

Current Age: 55
Retirement Age: 55
Total working years: 33
Pension: No

Current Age: 47
Retirement Age: 58ish
Total working years: 25 so far
Pension: Yes

Current age: 49 (DW 58)
Retirement age: 45 (DW 53)
Total working years: 25 + for both of us
Pension: Both of us have pensions

Current Age: 52
Retirement Age: 54 (hopefully)
Years Working: 30

My retirement plan is simple. Draw 100% of my annual budget from after-tax investment accounts for the 8 years until I can draw SS which will comprise 35% of my annual budget and draw the other 65% from those same after-tax investment accounts for the next 7 years, at which time they will be depleted unless I realize more than my 0% annual growth estimate.

After that 15 year period, I'll then begin drawing from my tax-deferred investment accounts (which I'm estimating will have enjoyed 15 years of untouched growth at an annual average rate of 5%) till death do us part.

Back
Top Bottom