What's your Current Age/Retirement Age/Total working years

catccc

Recycles dryer sheets
Curious to hear everyone's current age, projected/goal retirement age, and total number of years worked when you hit your retirement age, and also if you are expecting a pension of any sort. For total number of years worked, I'm counting career years, not the gigs during high school or college.

Here's my info:

Current Age: 33
Projected/Goal Retirement Age: 48
Total working years: 25
Pension: No

25 seems sooo long! I can hardly believe I've already been at it for 10! I may go longer if I feel up to it. I have no clue how I'll feel about working in 15 years!

Current age is 62.
Retired at age 57.
Worked 35 years.
Pension - Yes (private).

Years of Work & Retirement Age

I'm curious about those of you that are FIRE:

How many years of working (in your career, not high school or college gigs) did you log before you retired?

How old were you when you retired?

And lastly, did you get a pension?

Mostly I'm curious about what ages early retirees retire at... And the pension- I see lots of articles about people that qualified for a pension and were able to retire. I haven't had such luck to find a pension. So it's good old savings for me...

Current Age: 31
Projected Age: Somewhere between 45-50
Total Working Years: Between 23-28
Pension: Wife-Yes Me-No.

FWIW, Pensions are extremely rare these days for a new employee. My wife works for a benefits/retirement consulting firm. They're basically the ones tell everyone to get rid of their pensions and put HDHP's in place. It's less liability for the company.

CA: 64
RA: 59
WY: 41

Pension? What's that?

BTW, WY (working years) does not include the years I w*rked for my father in his various businesses. I wasn’t paid a penny; it was expected in order to pay for my room/board when I turned 10. He believed in the term of "children as chattel", as he was a first gen American with parents who emigrated "off the farm" in Europe after WWI...

Any day I was not at school (weekends, holidays, vacation), I was expected to put in 8-10 hours for the "family good" (actually his good, but it's a long story)...

Last edited:
current age: 52 (spouse 51)
Proj. retirement: 56/55
Proj work years: :confused:/27?
Pensions Nada.

Explanation of work years: Me 8.5 full time, 15 SAHD with half-time adjunct position (including 403b), followed by anticipated 9 years full time. Wife's 27 doesn't include residency, otherwise throw 4 more onto her tally.

I posted a similar thread in young dreamers, figuring I wouldn't get responses for people that were already retired over there, but that's not the case. So head on over if you want to answer over there so everyone can see the info in one thread...

The pensions. So, now that I think about it, I don't really know if I understand a pension completely. I just see people retire early because they have them, and frankly, I'm quite jealous! So if someone retires at 40 because they have a pension, than I know I can't do what they had done, because I don't have one. Not that I need to keep up with others or anything, I'm not that type of person. I just want to know what is realistic for me. And I also don't know what, if anything, people put into pensions. I always assume you just put in the years at the organization, you get the pension. Maybe I'm all wrong and people contribute a good bit to a pension like I contribute to my defined contribution plan...

The pensions. So, now that I think about it, I don't really know if I understand a pension completely. I just see people retire early because they have them, and frankly, I'm quite jealous! So if someone retires at 40 because they have a pension, than I know I can't do what they had done, because I don't have one. Not that I need to keep up with others or anything, I'm not that type of person. I just want to know what is realistic for me. And I also don't know what, if anything, people put into pensions. I always assume you just put in the years at the organization, you get the pension. Maybe I'm all wrong and people contribute a good bit to a pension like I contribute to my defined contribution plan...

In the US, a "Pension" is a defined benefit that the company will pay to you in retirement, usually based on a formula like: (some %) x (Years of Service) x (Avg. last few years of salary). Sometimes it is adjusted for cost of living, sometimes it is not.

To say that you can't retire early in this day and age without a pension is not true. You'll find that your informal poll shows this. It's all about savings.

To say that you can't retire early in this day and age without a pension is not true. You'll find that your informal poll shows this. It's all about savings.

Oh, I know it's possible! My own numbers show it, too. I just want to witness more examples of it!! I was just saying as an example I know 40 is out of the question for me...

CA: 52
Escaped : 48
w*rking : 25yrs
Pension: Yes accessible after 55 ( much reduced for leaving early ) NOT COLA'd

Retired in 2008. Was in the Air Force for 6 years, then the rest in the Telecomm industry when it boomed (Equal access and all that).

Here's my info:

Current Age: 57
Projected/Goal Retirement Age: 53
Total working years: 34
Pension: No

Current age 63
retired 57
No pension, very poor.
worked for more years than I care to remember.

Current age: 37
Semi retired at age: 35
Projected RA: 45
A small pension

Current: 46 (47 in two weeks)
Planned "retirement" age: 50*
Years [-]slaving[/-] working: 32
Pension: Tiny one from my first Megacorp which froze it on me in 1998

* -- Probably not full retirement, but we should be FI enough by this point that I can kick this stressful gig to the curb and find something I'd rather be doing, and a little more on my own terms even if the pay is lousy

Current Age: 43
Projected/Goal Retirement Age: FI by 45, semi-ER option @ 45
Total working years before FI: 24
Pension: Yes, small private one from 1st job, non-cola'd*

* not calculating SS or Pension in FI

Current age: 51
Projected/goal retirement age: 55
Total working years : 30
(This does not include part time gigs in high school and college that did not relate to my field. This does include engineering internships because I worked more than 20hrs/week and used that to pay my rent in college... It was directly related to my field. It also includes full time summer employment because a job is a job, a boss is a boss.)
Pension: 2 frozen, non-cola'd corp pensions. Small (add up to about $450-500/month starting at age 55.)

Husband is 60 and will retire at 62... only 16 months left for him.

Not sure why you posted the same query in two forums...

How many years of working (in your career, not high school or college gigs) did you log before you retired? 34½, I consider myself very fortunate WRT how my career played out, but it got old after a time.

How old were you when you retired? 57, but I have not ruled out going back to work one day. My second career would be for the fun of it, not the money.

And lastly, did you get a pension? Nope, but I knew that when I was 40, so I had time to turbocharge my plan and provide for myself. Knowing I wouldn't have a pension early on was probably one of the best things that could have happened to me. Losing it later, or having it altered after I retired would be awful - I feel for those who find themselves in that situation, present or future.

Last edited:
So far I've worked 31 years (after doctorate). Plan to "retire" to part-time in two years at 59. But I'm also in a field where if one isn't serious and working on it at least 3 hours a day, hang it up. So feels like more. Also earned money in my field starting from age 13.

Current age: 38
Retirement age: 36 for me. For DW? We are FI and that's the only part of FIRE that appeals to her at this point.
Total working years: 9 for me, 12 and counting for DW

No pension.

I put in 31 years at one Federal agency and retired with a pension at 56. I worked several other jobs (teacher, janitor, auto service advisor, etc) before starting the 31 year career.

Current age is 57. (DW 56)
Retired at age 55. (DW at 54)
Worked 33 years after graduating (also worked part time before and through college).
Pension - Yes ( 2 from UK, 1 from US, all non-COLA, all private).

Will qualify for both US and UK SS.

Back
Top Bottom