Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What's Your YTD Return?
Old 11-28-2004, 07:00 AM   #41

HI Whisper. Yeah, or the market value of my individual
bonds.

John Galt
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2004, 05:51 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Bob,

If one wanted a classic case study of the ''Madness of Crowds'' along with an embodiment of Ben/Warren's "Mr. Market'' in Manic Depression than HK/Asia after SARS was it. The most egregiously underpriced but solid global companies could be bought - I took a very deep breath and repeated the Buffett mantra of ''Be greedy when others are fearful''. Got to keep an eye on the pendulum swinging the other way though.

Simon
I confess to having been mildlly and quite pleasantly surprised that SARS did not recur the following year -- just a one-season thing -- but you were obviously right on that one. Toronto was also pretty spooked at that time, and I have relatives (Chinese) in medicine (doctor father in law) who lives with us and was also concerned at the time as to what bugs were coming home with him from the clinic every day...

Old 11-29-2004, 07:19 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

All of Ontario was freaked out over SARS.

If it had spread to the general population, ER would have been the last of our worries!
Old 11-30-2004, 04:06 AM   #44

I posted this before so some poetic license please

I used to be 100% MMs/CDs except for my real estate.
Once rates had plummeted I took a deep breath and
went to bonds, various yields/ratings/venues, but a lot
of junk status stuff, relatively speaking.
I'd rather be in CDs.
The rates drove me away. Now, obviously companies
willing to pay 7% for money involve more risk than
say USA issued bonds. I still can't see any way
I can get hurt unless they default. I have my inflation
protection in real estate (bought right/good location/positive cash flow) and if I lost 100% of my bond money I still would not have to go back to work.

John Galt
Old 11-30-2004, 03:50 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

ESRBob / Zipper,

We were in Hong Kong throughout the SARS period (yes, complete with face masks). Setting the hysteria aside, statistically more people died of pneumonia than of SARS that year in Hong Kong . It was, however, the seemingly indiscriminate nature of the virus that worried people. Sadly, through the secretiveness of the Mainland Chinese Authorities in intially covering the whole thing up, the outbreak became far worse than it ever really should have been and unnecessary deaths occurred. Even more unfortunate is that it was frontline medical staff treating the ''first phase'' of patients that took the brunt.

But we have always had SARS, Asian Flu, Bird Flu, West Nile Virus, Ebola, TB, etc etc etc outbreaks around the world for as long as I can remember. The WHO is currently predicting 100 (One Hundred) million deaths worldwide due to Bird Flu over the coming years, but I don't see that as a driver for economic meltdown. Maybe a set-back or a stuttter, but not a collapse.

For the ones with a long enough horizon and sufficient faith in the region's eventual recovery, the SARS period provided an extraordinary buying opportunity.

BTW, Kudos to your Father-in-Law, ESRBob. All in the medical profession deserve our gratitude.

Simon888
Old 11-30-2004, 07:41 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I posted this before so some poetic license please *
I have my inflation
protection in real estate (bought right/good location/positive cash flow) and if I lost 100% of my bond money I still would not have to go back to work.
John Galt
John, I cannot remember if you have disclosed your net worth. You have said that it is low. Yet you speak of having direct investments in real estate beyond your own house. In fact, I believe you once referred to owning an entire island.

Direct real estate investment in today's market, let alone owning islands, is not something that one usually associates with modest net worth.

What am I missing?

Mikey
Old 12-01-2004, 07:24 AM   #47

Quote:

John, I cannot remember if you have disclosed your net worth. You have said that it is low. Yet you speak of having direct investments in real estate beyond your own house. In fact, I believe you once referred to owning an entire island.

Direct real estate investment in today's market, let alone owning islands, is not something that one usually associates with modest net worth.

What am I missing?

Mikey
Mikey:

Realize you were waiting for an answer for John Galt, but while that's forthcoming, I just wanted to make a comment.
What you are missing is a sense of humor, re: John G.
Anybody that has spent time on this board, that is not brain-dead, has been able to figure out that John G has flights of fantasy.
That being said, he comes up with sometimes entertaining posts, and I will admit to admiring his spirit.
No harm, no foul.
Regards, Jarhead
Old 12-01-2004, 11:12 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Mikey:

Realize you were waiting for an answer for John Galt, but while that's forthcoming, I just wanted to make a comment.
What you are missing is a sense of humor, re: John G.
Anybody that has spent time on this board, that is not brain-dead, has been able to figure out that John G has flights of fantasy.
That being said, he comes up with sometimes entertaining posts, and I will admit to admiring his spirit.
No harm, no foul.
Regards, Jarhead
Jarhead--LOL John generally goes beyond my ability to suspend disbelief. But when I saw people asking him questions, and treating this whole odd scenario as if there might be some substance to it I got confused. I found myself wanting to own islands, wheel and deal in real estate, and have un-noticed treasures in my garage. All I have in my garage is mouse droppings, and they are easy to notice.

And have all this while paying no taxes, having no worries beyond the bubbles in my beer, and no book-keeping beyond a few old envelopes fished out of the trash.

After he explains all this to me, I also need his coaching to learn how to get a woman to go out to work, and still come home at night.

I guess some guys have all the luck.

Mikey
Old 12-01-2004, 11:40 AM   #49

Based on all this, is JG the worst troll on the message board?

Or rather, the best?

Quote:

Jarhead--LOL John generally goes beyond my ability to suspend disbelief. But when I saw people asking him questions, and treating this whole odd scenario as if there might be some substance to it I got confused. I found myself wanting to own islands, wheel and deal in real estate, and have un-noticed treasures in my garage. All I have in my garage is mouse droppings, and they are easy to notice.

And have all this while paying no taxes, having no worries beyond the bubbles in my beer, and no book-keeping beyond a few old envelopes fished out of the trash.

After he explains all this to me, I also need his coaching to learn how to get a woman to go out to work, and still come home at night.

I guess some guys have all the luck.

Mikey
Old 12-01-2004, 12:13 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Based on all this, is JG the worst troll on the message board?

Or rather, the best?
I am pretty much a newbie at Troll-ology. TH was our expert on that, so I can't answer your question.

But JG is pretty good at whatever it is that he does.

Mikey
Old 12-01-2004, 12:21 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I'm inclined to believe a reasonable amount of what JG says. If he is a troll, he is amusing enough and doesn't go out of his way to be annoying. Frankly, he has never given us the full picture, so there is no way to know if he is simply choosing to selectively disclose whatever he feels like talking about.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 07:21 PM   #52

JG's 'secret', if I'm understanding months of his posts correctly, is that his budget is close to what he is going to get (any day now) from social security, so the portfolio, savings etc is all just icing on the cake. He doesn't need it, so he doesn't care. He wont be withdrawing from it to speak of, so it is all just 'insurance' and vaguely theoretical. Real Estate, cash, whatever makes you feel good.

meanwhile he must have great sex appeal, a lot of friends, a nice second wife who works, and a lifetime worth of good stories and good cheer that will more or less ensure people will keep buying him drinks for life.

Given all that, should we rename him "Alfred E. Newman"?

How about it, JG -- how far off are we?

ESRBob
Old 12-01-2004, 08:02 PM   #53

ESRBob......... ESR, Ever so right?

Yeah, that's close. Except I used to buy most of the drinks
and my sex appeal is pretty much shot. I do have a lifetime of stories. Otherwise,
I go mostly with a "What, me worry?" approach.
Or, if you prefer, in the long run we are all dead.

John Galt
Old 12-02-2004, 07:10 AM   #54

Quote:
and my sex appeal is pretty much shot. *I do have a lifetime of stories. *Otherwise,
I go mostly with a "What, me worry?" approach.

John Galt
Can't be all gone or you'd never have snagged a working wife in the last few years...

So it is sounding like Alfred E Newman might be your new nickname, at least in your less Galtian phases?

ESRBob