Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-08-2010, 11:23 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
To each his/her own. Recently my DH said Monday mornings are hard, I jokingly asked next day if Tuesdays are any better no he only likes Sunday mornings and he is not even 40. For him 20ish years of work life is more than enough . Now to support 40-60 years of retired life with 20 years of worklife will take lot of planning and adjustments - may be worth for some not for others. There is no end to wants & desires.. you have to decide how much is enough for you. (Do consult your resources and spouse :-)

DesiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2010, 07:19 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I would never advocate living a miserly life style or working yourself to death to be able to ER. Those working years are also the prime years of your life (family) and if you don't enjoy those years you will likely regret it and probably won't be happy in retirement. For most it just comes down to making good financial decisions (saving) and keeping your expenses under control. Do you need to drive that $60k luxury car or $50k pickup truck when a dependable $20k Honda/Toyota will do just as well? Do you really need that large 3500 sq-ft home when a 1500 sq-ft home will do just fine? Could go on and on how people waste money, often just to 'keep up with the Joneses' or to give the appearance of someone who has it all.

zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
ON THE OTHER HAND, life can throw you some very strange twists. My DW ran away with another man, my wonderful dog died, my only daughter graduated from university and moved across country and suddenly I felt very bored with my social life (ie, cocktail parties, barbecues) my old hobbies felt stale, and my doctor said if I twist another knee joint or sprain another ankle again - I can forget about the sports I like.

Truly enjoyed my work, but other things looked inviting too. Bottom line, I began traveling and discovered a whole new world that excited me from morning to night. I was able to transfer some of my skills as a civil engineer to teaching basic engineering calculations to workers in undeveloped nations. Basic earthquake-proof construction, etc.

Life can throw you some curve balls... so don't discount the benefits of being prepared for the unexpected. If you are financially independent at age 50 your options are wide open, including continuing to do exactly what you want or moving on. The joy is having the choice and not being trapped.
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
FI is the key. The closer I get the less work bothers me. Actually I no longer fret over challenging projects and presentations. I'm now able to play the game a little looser and have some fun with it. What are they going to do fire me? If so then it's on to the next chapter. Also, maybe my job performance has improved with this better attitude. I can't imagine being in the situation where I'm cowering in fear over what my runny nosed boss thinks of me.

So very true! I told my boss that I'm good to go at anytime. He wanted me to stay until I turn 55, so I gave them notice of 659 days, 10 hours and 14 minutes.... not that I'm counting! I have the same attitude as you, if they don't like it they can fire me!
Not all who wander are lost - J. R. Tolkien
Blackwoodt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #25
To the OP...

You are absolutely right. keep spending all that you make cause you could get hit by a bus tomorrow. Those stupid savers don't know Jack.

party on Garth !
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:12 AM   #26
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I agree completely and it certainly sounds like your job is far from toxic to you. So, live a little, enjoy the journey towards FI, and then decide when you want to retire, and do so when you and your family are good and ready.

Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote