Join Early Retirement Today

Where were you at 31?
Old 10-03-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Where were you at 31?

Hi,
I'm getting milestone envy.

When you were 31 - how big was your retirement stash? When did you start?

I'm 31 and at about $60k and all the calcs say i will be ok if i keep throwing in the $ as well as save more after tax...but just want some verification it can be done!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2007, 10:46 AM   #2

When I was 31, in 1992, I had about $300K. Now at 45, I'm around $2M. Compounded interest is great!

Old 10-03-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
Administrator

I was in the first year of law school at the time (1990). I had about $50-60k in the bank, but it all got spent on tuition, so I started from zero at the age of 33.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:53 AM   #4

gosh, but what about after law school gumby?

for now i've decided grad school isn't worth the cost for me since i have a good job, w/ good pay and wouldn't be much higher if i went, but i change my mind every month or so!

i definitely wouldn't go to law school though (but lots of respect for those who do) because i wouldn't actually practice if i went and it is so darn expensive, aside from having to ignore my kids for a couple years!

have a friend who just graduated and makes less than me, me and my sucker friends who all work in nonprofits
Old 10-03-2007, 10:54 AM   #5

When I was 31, I probably had $20-$24K and according to the inflation calculator that T-Al provided yesterday, that's in the $60K range today. I started getting interested in $$ when I was in my late 20s.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At 31, I had some credit card debt, some little student loans, and a crappy car, but I had $100,000 in investments.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:13 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Roughly 500k, sitting in a job I was sick of and trying not to lose my mind. Headed there now 3 years later, but with more money.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:18 AM   #8

34 now and I was around 60k at 31. No debt now... and around 150k saved at age 34.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:20 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I had a small amount of "untouchable" money and was marginally employed, lived like a student, sharing an apt. Basically, I was into "eat, drink and be merry." I started travelling seriously the next year.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:33 AM   #10

I turned 31 in April 2001. At that time I had about $77K stashed away. I also had a first mortgage of around $75000 and a second mortgage of around $11K. And a car loan I still owed around $13K on.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:36 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
have a friend who just graduated and makes less than me, me and my sucker friends who all work in nonprofits
At 31 I had just graduated from B School, and had my first job making 40K per year. No savings whatsoever, but no debt, either.

My brother, a cop, made fun of me because I made less than he did with my "ig education." Fast-forward 20 years and I've far outpaced him.

So, as regards grad school, starting salary is not as important as ending salary. That said, he's got a nice, fat pension coming to him that I don't have.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:48 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

hmmmm...let's see....at 31, I was in the last years of my 1st marriage....not much of anything in retirement accounts, but a NW of about $150K (real estate and self built home).....2 years later, I got my half and started all over again.....21 years later and while I'm obligated to 3 more "tax seasons" as part of he sale of my practice, I'm hoping that the new folks will catch on real quick and decide that they want to keep the $$$ instead of paying me.....and I'm basically FIRE'd as I have only spent 7 (half) days in the office since May....and my NW is north of 3M.....so keep working and stashin' it away....

FI & RE will come if you are a LBYM person (family) and you learn how to invest wisely and at your comfort level!!
Old 10-03-2007, 12:08 PM   #13

Well, that was 27 years ago so not sure what I had but it wasn't much. Maybe 5K, DW and 2 kids and working my butt off. Didn't have a clue about saving or retirement and didn't care from what I can remember.

You guys who know what to do at 31 are in great shape even if you don't have any investments yet. I didn't even think about retirement till 47 and I fired in 10 years.

"old too fast and smart too late"
Old 10-03-2007, 12:08 PM   #14

At 31, which is 26 years ago for me, I probably had a negative net worth. Just got picked up by NASA from a job with the Navy, moved to California bought a condo and my first new car. ( A cheap Honda Civic, but my first new car.) The real estate market was a bust, I barely broke even and I know of people who abandoned their houses/condos. Then I got married and got really broke in a divorce. But time has been good to me; new wife, growth in income, paid off the house, and saved as much as we could in her teachers 403b & my 401k type (TSP) account. Kids grown & left (youngest one just started college) and life is looking good, I expect to retire in the next 6 months or so, all because I have the old civil service defined benefit pension plan and because we are good at living cheaply.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:12 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Beyond broke...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:19 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Age 31: Bad marriage. Deeply in debt, lousy job with very low pay. A bad decade.
Age 41: My first dollar went into 401k and income began to rise significantly.
Age 60: Retired, comfortable, content.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:23 PM   #17

27 years ago, hmmm what can I remember?

Next to nothing: that's both what I can remember and my NW at the time.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:41 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
When I was 31, I probably had $20-$24K and according to the inflation calculator that T-Al provided yesterday, that's in the $60K range today. I started getting interested in $$ when I was in my late 20s.
Ditto. About the same for me.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:51 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

At 31, I believe my wife and I were about 1 year into figuring out the LBYM, and paying off 20-30K in CC debt along with 2 20K+ car loans for brand new cars... and a brand new house we just bought....

We weren't exactly L Above YM, but right at it... and we didn't have a dime to spare... And then I read "Your Money Or Your Life", and "The Millionaire Next Door"... and everything changed. .

My networth tracking didn't start until about a year after that, but I'm guessing I was negative, or zero at 31. Now I'm about halfway to my retirement goal. Should have about 7-10 years left depending on market returns.

Laters,
-d.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:54 PM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Beyond broke...
Ditto! I was at home with a newborn baby, fending off creditors and didn't have a pot to p** in.

I didn't get my head above water until after my divorce, in my 50's.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote