Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-18-2008, 05:13 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead* View Post
Rewhool, HFWR, MartyB:

Declaring the polls closed at this point. (3-way split.

HFWR, and MartyB: Don't quit your day jobs just yet.

ReWahoo: We're both in somewhat the same category here. ( "I yam whatI yam".

You guys keep an eye on me, and not allow me to do something really stupid in the next few years.
Too late; my day job quit me...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2008, 01:26 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

In five years, I'll be 32.

- I'll probably be working a similar job, but with a different company and probably at a higher salary.
- I'll probably be married to my current boyfriend.
- I'll possibly be contemplating having a child soon.
- We'll be in a different place and will have been there for a couple of years. Possibly, we'll have a mortgage on a condo.
- I'll still be planning on ER in my thirties, but I'm sure my route to getting there will have changed completely!

Old 02-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Hopefully I will have quit MegaCorp and gone on to something more enjoyable (and lower paying), and living somewhere we'd like to live. Too bad I don't know what I want to do or where I want to live - but we're giving both a lot of thought these days. Even though we're in good condition, like so many, healthcare is what keeps us from hanging up MegaCorp (and a high salary).

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:44 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hopefully we will be at least semi-retired. Our plan is for DH to take on short-term contract assignments (6 months or less) while I find short-term work as well. We'd like to make enough $ to cover our living expenses (and health insurance) for the entire year, letting our investments grow untouched until we feel ready to completely retire. For the other 6 months when not working we want to travel, spend extended time with family, etc. Wish we were in a position to semi-fire now since my father is elderly and not in the best of health. Life is what it is, though.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:48 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Well I don't know where I will be in five years, but that's where I hope to be:

In 5 years, I will be 38, I hope our networth exceeds $1M (about 2/3 of the way to ideal FIRE target), I hope our household income exceeds $200K per year, I hope we still live in the same house.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:37 PM   #66

In five years I'll be 62, DW will be 57. I'm starting another job soon, both to fill in the days a little bit and for some "toy money" like either a travel trailer - if I can talk DW into going places - or perhaps an airplane if I can't. The contract for the job runs four years, during which time I can either work full time or part time. The idea is to work full time for two to three years and then see where we sit, perhaps then go to part time to support the toys once they are bought.

Since they are TOYS, I am not taking out any loans for them or raiding the piggy bank.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, it's been 5 years since this thread went up . . . how did everyone do? Did those who planned retirement within 5 years actually pull the plug? How about those who predicted career changes?

For me, I'm happy to report that my prediction was quite close. I told myself that, rather than seeking ER by the age of 40, I would delay that until 45-50 and seek more fulfilling work. In early 2010 I changed careers, and I'm currently ahead of schedule to retire at 50 (still a few years away, though). More importantly, I'm in a line of work now that doesn't cause me to daydream all day long about ER.

Niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
In 5 years i'll be 33. Expect that i'll still be single with no kids. Still be at same job and still under 50K/year. Should be close to $250K savings. Still a renter so no debt unless I buy my parents house when they retire around that time.
I'm 33 just as I expected Still single, no kids. Lost my job in August 2011 and have been unnder/unemployed since. Only have around half the $250K I expected to have. Bought a condo and paid it off.

I'm in worse shape(physically and financially) now at 33 than when I was 28 and going downhill.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko View Post
Well, it's been 5 years since this thread went up . . . how did everyone do? Did those who planned retirement within 5 years actually pull the plug? How about those who predicted career changes?
My thoughts five years ago have worked out....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I'm not a young dreamer, but I guess I can reply. In five years I hope to be thankful for each day. By then, we will be living off a pension and DH's retirement fund. I like to think that he and I will be doing more things as a couple and growing old together gracefully.
Health issues have made things a bit bumpy, but we're still kickin'.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I hope to RE on December 31, 2012, so in five years I will have three days to go!

I retired a month early. It's actually remarkable how close my prediction was.

Thanks for bringing up this thread, Niko. In the interim, I had forgotten my original intention and had developed "one more year" syndrome. Fortunately, a toxic w*rk environment helped me to see the light!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #71

I must have missed this thread 5 years ago, but I would have said that I planned to retire at age 55 when I was eligible for a DB pension and retiree health benefits, and to move from Louisiana to Texas to be close to our kids.

The plan came good exactly 3 years ago and it has been great ever since.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post

In 5 years, I will be 38, I hope our networth exceeds $1M (about 2/3 of the way to ideal FIRE target), I hope our household income exceeds $200K per year, I hope we still live in the same house.
My hopes regarding net worth and income came true. But I don't live in the same house anymore (though I still own it).
Old 01-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I must have missed this thread 5 years ago....
I did too, but I know I thought DH would have been retired for 2 years, we would have sold our house and moved to a small town, and we would each have taken SS when we reached 62.

So DH has been retired 4 years, we decided to stay in our house (remodeling it), and neither of us has taken SS (DH is 64, I am just past 62) and not sure when we will--probably FRA or Medicare age.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #74
Administrator

Oops! I guess that I was dreaming about the "move-that-never-happened", when I wrote the post below. I have been retired for three years, and I have completely decompressed and unwound after my working years. But, I am still happily living in New Orleans, in the same house as always. I still know very little about living with snow. No vegetable garden, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
In five years...

I will have been retired for three years;
I will be living in Springfield, Missouri;
I will have owned my house there for two years;
I will just be finishing the process of furnishing, painting, and decorating it;
I will know all about snow and will be giving advice to southerners on the forum planning to move north;
I will have FINALLY decompressed and completely unwound after my working years;
and...
I will be planning my vegetable garden to plant in the spring! (hint: cherry tomatos! lettuce! green beans!)

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

I missed this thread back then too. What was my plan then? Can't remember, but I never have any concrete plan anyway.

But looking back at my notes, I knew that we were just coming back from a fabulous France/Czech trip. Portfolio set an all-time high a couple of months earlier. I felt like on top of the world. Daughter doing OK in college. Son just entered college. So, I must have been thinking about the end game. Got my 2nd home in the boonies all set up as a final resting place. I remembered thinking about living up there full-time (freezing my buns off in the winter).

Who wouldda thunk the market tanked badly the next year? And now, I am thinking about spending more time with the RV than in the boonies home. And of course 5 years ago, I never really set a date to stop work. When the time was right, it would happen. And it did. Children are all done with school, and living their own life. That part works out.

Nope, no plan looking forward either. I am still planning my next RV trip, and even the departure date has not been set. Maybe even take an Alaskan cruise before another RV trip.

Five years ahead? Are you kidding?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Five years ahead? Are you kidding?

Be careful, the next thread I start will be something along the lines of Where-will-you-be-in-2018?

I'm a perpetual planner and I love making these sorts of predictions and then revisiting them later on. A few weeks ago I received an email I "sent" to myself 7 years ago with a series of predictions about where I would be, what I would be doing, etc. I sent it with one of those "future email" websites that are available. I had totally forgotten about it until it showed up in my inbox. I like that kind of stuff.

Niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko View Post
Be careful, the next thread I start will be something along the lines of Where-will-you-be-in-2018?
Well, you should. And then to revive it 5 years later like you just did. I have enjoyed reading people's posts here. I personally will not make any prediction or detailed planning, because nothing in my life has really happened exactly like I planned, but that should not keep other people from doing so.

When I was younger and more ambitious, I thought there might be a chance that my hard work would pay off, and I would be rich (meaning a decamillionaire). Well, I am far away from that goal, and too old, too tired to keep trying, and frankly do not care any more. What if I am not even alive in another 5 years? However, if you start another thread, then revive it in 5 years, I will read it (if I am still around).
Old 01-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #78

I was not a member of this forum 5 years ago. However, my ER plan was greatly taking shape in 2007 and 2008, and I had planned to ER by the end of 2008, which I did on 10/31/2008. Earlier in 2007 I had reduced my weekly hours worked from 20 to 12 in anticipation of leaving work altogether by the end of 2008.

This means 5 years after this thread began I would have been retired for 4 years, which is what happened. And it has been a wonderful 4 years.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
In five years DH will be 50 and that is the target date for him to retire. Our plan is for him to get another boat, putter around with it, making some trips down to the Bahamas, visit a friend retiring in Belize, maybe do some volunteer work, etc until my retirement in (hopefully) another 5 years, at which time I'll be 47.

No change in job or homeplace, but maybe a few more trips, a few more dogs, and a few more drinks! Staying on the green side, too, I hope!

And I'm really hoping that in 5 years CFB will have that men's cooking school opened up so I can send DH out to Cali for some lessons!
Well yes DH is 50, an yes he will be quitting in June. We did buy a boat, but other adventures have moved in front of puttering around.

We've decided that while we are still mobile and flexible, we should do the harder kinds of travel, and save boat cruising for when we are old!

Yes to more dogs and to more drinks. We are crazier now than ever. And I'm still hoping DH will take those CFB cooking classes!

Thanks for digging this up-what fun!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #80

I was close, but not spot on. We didn't buy a travel trailer or airplane, but I did get a motorcycle. I'll almost certainly quit the job May 1st this year as things are going downhill there. And financially we're better off than we've ever been in our lives.

Almost all free time the last four months has been consumed by dealing with FIL's health issues, moving him to a nursing home and prepping his house for sale. While we both know that "this too shall pass" it is taking a toll.

He made the mistake of trying to hang on to his house too long and living by himself. The diabetes that put him in the nursing home would have been better monitored and I think he'd be in independent living now instead of a nursing home.

That, in turn, makes me resolve to move to a CCRC well before we need to since the longer one waits the harder it will be. My mother lived in independent living in a CCRC for eleven years and in assisted living for only six months. She had a ball doing stuff while she could and didn't miss the house a bit. So that gives us a more positive outlook on a CCRC than perhaps many have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
In five years I'll be 62, DW will be 57. I'm starting another job soon, both to fill in the days a little bit and for some "toy money" like either a travel trailer - if I can talk DW into going places - or perhaps an airplane if I can't. The contract for the job runs four years, during which time I can either work full time or part time. The idea is to work full time for two to three years and then see where we sit, perhaps then go to part time to support the toys once they are bought.

Since they are TOYS, I am not taking out any loans for them or raiding the piggy bank.