Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #161
Dryer sheet aficionado

Cool thread, indeed....hope it gets rediscovered in 5 years so we can all see how we did. For me....
1) DW and I will be 40. Kids will be 8 and 7.
2) If all goes according to plan, I will still be working for the same group, at the same hospital.
3) Ravens will hopefully have won another Superbowl
4) Mortgage close to being paid off.
5) Surpassed my personal savings goal.
6) Hope to be just as happy as I am today!

Good luck to us all in our 5 year forcasts!
GD

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A former supervisor at megacorp asked me in a performance review where I wanted to be in 10 years. I said retired. It kind of went downhill from there. And I am retired. He left for another company and is still working.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #163
gone traveling

5 years ago I hoped I would be right where I am. Financially planning my retirement. Take this forward 5 years from now I want to be making my final preparations to leaving Snowchusetts (Massachusetts) to warmer climates. Making financial arrangements to begin to set aside money for my darling daughter and planning my first fully retired trip. I am 55 years old soon to be 56. Totally vested in two pensions one set to be collected anytime I am not working the other set for age 60. If I make it to age 60 where I work I will absolutely be looking at a part time job while the wife works full time for another two years. I do hope though in 5 years that maybe I can go back to where it began for my DW and I Seoul South Korea (married there 1980 and left 1982 and not been back).
Old 02-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #164

Five years from today we'll be 18 months into retirement; I'll be 56 and DH will be 52. We will have finished our first triathlon, be in the middle of our second pickleball tournament season and figuring out which three months we're going to live in Italy and Paris.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #165
Confused about dryer sheets

In 5 years my wife and I will be 31 and 33 with two little ones hopefully. Our CC debt and student loans paid off and be saving upwards of 20% towards retirement annually!
Old 02-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #166

Hope to be above ground figure skating instead being patted on the face with a shovel by guys in dark suits and stovepipe hats.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #167
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
In 5 years I will be:

38 years old
Saving like a mad woman
Living in North Carolina in a house
On my way to becoming a famous artist

So, it's been five years and I am 38 and saving....but the rest of the story has changed so much! LOL! I didn't account for a new career, a husband, and stepsons!
5 years from now....All college and child support obligations will be over, house will be almost paid off, and I might have a bigger studios with people working for me
Old 02-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #168

-I'll be FI and probably semi-RE. If I don't make the number, I'll reduce my expenses to fit what I have.

-Trip to one or more of Angkor, Bhutan, and New Zealand.

-Trying to decide where to build a house.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:50 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissGina View Post
I will be 37 in 5 years. I am currently able to save $30k a year, but this year I have $14k of student loans left to pay off and I need to buy a new car for around $10k. So I better have $220k saved 5 years from now. I have around 100k already saved in mutual funds, retirement accounts and a few electric company stocks.

I don't think I will have kids, but the current boyfriend has two already and wants another (sigh). Either way still not going to retire until 53 due to the possibility of having kids and will be staying home with them if I do.

Can't wait to return to this thread and see how things turn out. Especially the kid part.

3 year update. Didn't not buy a new car! My current 1998 Camry (I had for 11 years! 231k miles on it is still going). Getting ready to buy rental property with tenants already living in it! No boyfriend or kids (YEAH) so all is looking good in that area!

Finally, I am on target to have closer to $300k saved by the end of next 2 years! Will update then. May change the retirement age at that point.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #170
Administrator

Wow! Was I ever off the mark.

Yes, I retired on schedule in 2009, and I am completely decompressed and unwound after my working years.

But I'm not living in Missouri. I bought a house here instead of there, and it doesn't need painting or decorating. I know nothing about snow. And somehow I completely lost the desire to plant a vegetable garden or anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
In five years...

I will have been retired for three years;
I will be living in Springfield, Missouri;
I will have owned my house there for two years;
I will just be finishing the process of furnishing, painting, and decorating it;
I will know all about snow and will be giving advice to southerners on the forum planning to move north;
I will have FINALLY decompressed and completely unwound after my working years;
and...
I will be planning my vegetable garden to plant in the spring! (hint: cherry tomatos! lettuce! green beans!)

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:16 PM   #171
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I'm not a young dreamer, but I guess I can reply. In five years I hope to be thankful for each day. By then, we will be living off a pension and DH's retirement fund. I like to think that he and I will be doing more things as a couple and growing old together gracefully.
Well, we are getting older...
Old 03-01-2016, 04:20 PM   #172

Quote:
And that be a good thing
Old 03-01-2016, 04:45 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Well, blast from the past this is. Let's see...

1) I'm essentially retired. I do teach a few days a week, but only b/c I love it - not b/c I have to.
2) DH is still working full-time. We have not amassed enough $ to take the plunge into full semi-retirement. We also need the health care coverage situation to become clearer before we take any leap, since I am now essentially uninsurable on the private market (due to a significant health issue we had no clue was coming our way).
3) My father passed away summer of 2008 - didn't know how prophetic my statement would be.

Despite all of that, we are happy to be alive and enjoying life!

Well, things are essentially the same as 2 years ago! We've built up more money, and are feeling much closer to taking the plunge, but not quite yet. Our goal is to move to the Sarasota, FL area by 2018 and have DH be fully retired. He would rather continue working FT so that he doesn't have to work part-time (unless he WANTS to). I would love to continue teaching but hope to find a way to do it online so that I can teach from anywhere we happen to "land" in retirement. I've been doing some research into that lately.

In the meantime, still healthy and very much enjoying life! Very thankful for that given my cancer diagnosis in 2011. Every day is bonus!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:56 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Hope to be above ground figure skating instead being patted on the face with a shovel by guys in dark suits and stovepipe hats.
This is also my hope, to stay above ground and with self-locomotion.

Quote:
I'm not a young dreamer, but I guess I can reply. In five years I hope to be thankful for each day. By then, we will be living off a pension and DH's retirement fund. I like to think that he and I will be doing more things as a couple and growing old together gracefully.
Quote:
One of two is OK?
Old 03-01-2016, 05:04 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2008 View Post
DH will be 66 and I'll be 60, both retired in 7/2013.
We have kept health up and even improved a bit, exercising regularly.
We will have travelled a lot. Per year one trip longer than 4 weeks, one long bike tour and smaller trips whenever something too good to pass pops up or the weather is right or... or... or...
We have used 20% of our savings to bridge the gap till my pension kicks in (at 60,5).
Life is good and will be good then.
Retired 9/2013. Most of the other items are as planned. Life is good.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:21 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
And that be a good thing
It be fo sho...but dang these aches and pains anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Well, things are essentially the same as 2 years ago! We've built up more money, and are feeling much closer to taking the plunge, but not quite yet. Our goal is to move to the Sarasota, FL area by 2018 and have DH be fully retired. He would rather continue working FT so that he doesn't have to work part-time (unless he WANTS to). I would love to continue teaching but hope to find a way to do it online so that I can teach from anywhere we happen to "land" in retirement. I've been doing some research into that lately.

In the meantime, still healthy and very much enjoying life! Very thankful for that given my cancer diagnosis in 2011. Every day is bonus!
You got that right super girl. ...and don't you know I feel a chorus line comin' on...Here we go.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
This is also my hope, to stay above ground and with self-locomotion.

One of two is OK?
Yeah.....I reckon it ain't too bad.

Wait...did you mention locomotion....here comes that chorus line..here we are...super girl, yours truly and thou...

Old 03-01-2016, 06:00 PM   #177

So - 3 years after I posted my entry in this thread - here's my update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I also wasn't here 5 years ago - but want to get in on it for the next 5 year predictions...

5 years from now I'll be 56 and I sure as heck had better be retired.

I predict my husband will retire Jan or Feb of 2014.

I predict I will continue to work till I am laid off or turn 55 - whichever is first.

I predict my employer of the past 18 years will have been bought/sold/acquired/spun off at least 3 more times. (I'm on my 7th corporate name on my paycheck... and 8th has been announced but deal hasn't closed yet - with continuous employment for 18 years.)

I predict our house will be paid off when hubby retires. (It's down to a manageable lump sum payoff now... but cash flow and taxes suggest it's better to wait.

I predict I'll be maxing my 401k and catchup 401k till I'm no longer employed.

I predict my kids will still be driving each other and me crazy... but one will be preparing to leave for college. (I'm old to have kids so young.)
DH did retire in Feb 2014... then unretired in June 2014. Then re-retired in Jan 2015. (Guy who replaced him quit suddenly - he was called back to finish project.)

I retired (vs laid off) earlier than I predicted - at age 53 in June 2014.

We paid off the house in spring 2014.

I maxed out 401k and catchup - even in my final partial year.

Plus I set aside some big bucks for our trip of a lifetime - outside the retirement nest egg.

Went on trip of lifetime (9 weeks in 7 countries for family of four) summer 2015.

My kids drive me crazy.

Retirement is good.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:35 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
Five years hence, I expect to be aligned with DW that RE brings freedom, growth opportunities, and chance for increased relevance. And we will be watching our last son graduate from college from our retirement home, planning a hiking trip somewhere in Europe, volunteering a couple of days a week at the local charity of our choice, and eating fresh vegetables from the garden year-round!
We're coming into alignment, and I'm giving notice next month.
Overall: on schedule!
Old 03-01-2016, 06:46 PM   #179
Recycles dryer sheets

Spent a few weeks in FL recently getting ideas on a retirement location.

Working on our five year count down.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:26 PM   #180

In 5 years I should be 5 years from FIRE