Where will you be in five years?

Five years ahead? Are you kidding?

Be careful, the next thread I start will be something along the lines of Where-will-you-be-in-2018? :angel:

I'm a perpetual planner and I love making these sorts of predictions and then revisiting them later on. A few weeks ago I received an email I "sent" to myself 7 years ago with a series of predictions about where I would be, what I would be doing, etc. I sent it with one of those "future email" websites that are available. I had totally forgotten about it until it showed up in my inbox. I like that kind of stuff.

Be careful, the next thread I start will be something along the lines of Where-will-you-be-in-2018? :angel:
Well, you should. And then to revive it 5 years later like you just did. I have enjoyed reading people's posts here. I personally will not make any prediction or detailed planning, because nothing in my life has really happened exactly like I planned, but that should not keep other people from doing so.

When I was younger and more ambitious, I thought there might be a chance that my hard work would pay off, and I would be rich (meaning a decamillionaire). Well, I am far away from that goal, and too old, too tired to keep trying, and frankly do not care any more. What if I am not even alive in another 5 years? However, if you start another thread, then revive it in 5 years, I will read it (if I am still around).

I was not a member of this forum 5 years ago. However, my ER plan was greatly taking shape in 2007 and 2008, and I had planned to ER by the end of 2008, which I did on 10/31/2008. Earlier in 2007 I had reduced my weekly hours worked from 20 to 12 in anticipation of leaving work altogether by the end of 2008.

This means 5 years after this thread began I would have been retired for 4 years, which is what happened. And it has been a wonderful 4 years. :)

In five years DH will be 50 and that is the target date for him to retire. Our plan is for him to get another boat, putter around with it, making some trips down to the Bahamas, visit a friend retiring in Belize, maybe do some volunteer work, etc until my retirement in (hopefully) another 5 years, at which time I'll be 47.

No change in job or homeplace, but maybe a few more trips, a few more dogs, and a few more drinks! Staying on the green side, too, I hope! :)

And I'm really hoping that in 5 years CFB will have that men's cooking school opened up so I can send DH out to Cali for some lessons!

Well yes DH is 50, an yes he will be quitting in June. We did buy a boat, but other adventures have moved in front of puttering around.

We've decided that while we are still mobile and flexible, we should do the harder kinds of travel, and save boat cruising for when we are old!

Yes to more dogs and to more drinks. We are crazier now than ever. And I'm still hoping DH will take those CFB cooking classes!

Thanks for digging this up-what fun!

I was close, but not spot on. We didn't buy a travel trailer or airplane, but I did get a motorcycle. I'll almost certainly quit the job May 1st this year as things are going downhill there. And financially we're better off than we've ever been in our lives.

Almost all free time the last four months has been consumed by dealing with FIL's health issues, moving him to a nursing home and prepping his house for sale. While we both know that "this too shall pass" it is taking a toll.

He made the mistake of trying to hang on to his house too long and living by himself. The diabetes that put him in the nursing home would have been better monitored and I think he'd be in independent living now instead of a nursing home.

That, in turn, makes me resolve to move to a CCRC well before we need to since the longer one waits the harder it will be. My mother lived in independent living in a CCRC for eleven years and in assisted living for only six months. She had a ball doing stuff while she could and didn't miss the house a bit. So that gives us a more positive outlook on a CCRC than perhaps many have.

In five years I'll be 62, DW will be 57. I'm starting another job soon, both to fill in the days a little bit and for some "toy money" like either a travel trailer - if I can talk DW into going places - or perhaps an airplane if I can't. The contract for the job runs four years, during which time I can either work full time or part time. The idea is to work full time for two to three years and then see where we sit, perhaps then go to part time to support the toys once they are bought.

Since they are TOYS, I am not taking out any loans for them or raiding the piggy bank.

I missed it too - or skipped it because I don't do 5 year planning.

My sig line pretty much covers it for us - and we did!

Last edited:
Hopefully living in Europe somewhere, France, working and saving, hoping the dollar will re-bound. At least out of the desert.

Had a good laugh reading this one. What a dreamer I was! I am glad I didn't try to move to France.

Dollar did indeed re-bound.

I got married and now have a lovely wife.

Got transferred with work to Indonesia.

Stashed away lots of money for the early-retirement.

Hopefully moving back to the states by the end of the year!

Till the next 5-years!

Billman

Count me in, as among those who missed this thread the first time around. But, five years ago, I was hoping to be retired by age 45, which would be April 2015.

Well, now that that original estimate is only two years away, I've revised it a bit, thinking more like 2016 or 2017. Net worth-wise, I'm actually within 1-2% of where my spreadsheet forecast that I would be, a calculation that I had plotted back in 2002. I guess, considering that in the last five years we've had the "Great Recession", plus I bought a used car, a new truck, went to Aruba twice, and put more money than I should have into two antique cars, I'm doing all right.

Looking ahead five years, when I'll be just about to turn 48, I'm pretty sure I'll retired. Or, at most, working part time. One major expense that might keep me in the workforce a bit longer is that I've developed a pipe dream of owning a house or condo in Aruba...something that I could go to from time to time, but rent it out on a weekly basis when I'm not there. But, with luck, that might actually break even or turn a profit, even.

Last edited:
I eagerly await such a time in my own life :)
Hopefully, you will reach that state in your youth, instead of in geezerdom like some people here. :cool:

I don't read or post very often amymore. Nothing negative about the
board. (Don't use internet for visiting any boards).
If i'm on the right side of the grass, in 5 years time, I plan on giving away
one third of my assets to the 5 posters on this board that have been the kindest to me, and given me the most attention.
Best wishes, Jarhead
Rewhool, HFWR, MartyB:
Declaring the polls closed at this point. (3-way split.
HFWR, and MartyB: Don't quit your day jobs just yet.
ReWahoo: We're both in somewhat the same category here. ( "I yam whatI yam".
You guys keep an eye on me, and not allow me to do something really stupid in the next few years.
I miss Jarhead.

You plan THAT far ahead? Honestly I have no idea what I will have for lunch... :D

That's only because you usually eat out! If you made lunch at home, you would at least have to plan on having the basic ingredients. And it would probably be healthier too! Do you have any idea how much salt is in restaurant food?

Hmmm, I missed the original thread too. We still live in the same house, drive the same cars. But I have semi-switched careers and employers. Our portfolio is many times the size it was 5 years ago, probably above what I reasonably would have forecast, even given the drops in 2008 and early 2009 (or maybe due to those drops!).

We had a third child during these last 5 years, which wasn't on the radar 5 years ago (when we had 2 kids still in diapers...).

No real surprises otherwise. Everyone in the family and my parents and DW's parents are all still relatively healthy and alive, just 5 years older.

Hmmm, I missed the original thread too. We still live in the same house, drive the same cars. But I have semi-switched careers and employers. Our portfolio is many times the size it was 5 years ago, probably above what I reasonably would have forecast, even given the drops in 2008 and early 2009 (or maybe due to those drops!).

We had a third child during these last 5 years, which wasn't on the radar 5 years ago (when we had 2 kids still in diapers...).

No real surprises otherwise. Everyone in the family and my parents and DW's parents are all still relatively healthy and alive, just 5 years older.

It all sounds great, Fuego! What happened with the relative who had a gambling problem?

It all sounds great, Fuego! What happened with the relative who had a gambling problem?

I'm not really sure whether she is still gambling or not, but I know she continued for quite a while for certain. Her husband recently left her (just before Thanksgiving). She's broke broke broke. Working 2 jobs and still trying to pay down her gambling creditors (loan sharks). Word is she will lose her house at any time. :(

I used to talk to her husband occasionally, but he's out of the picture now, not sure what he's up to.

We remain the only branch of the family to have any money or net worth to speak of, and we are constantly vigilant of being hit up for money, which happens frequently. We have a whole lot of "no's" to hand out though. We were just asked to kick in $40k to 75k into a flip this house deal where we are the money people and the others in the family are the business people and construction workers. No thanks! It's going to be a tough ER if they ever figure out we have as much as we have. But DW is on my side (for now at least!) :D

Five years ago we were just embarking on our purchase of a condo in PV. Now we are experienced at wintering in Mexico and travelling to Europe in the spring/fall.

Hopefully we will be at least semi-retired. Our plan is for DH to take on short-term contract assignments (6 months or less) while I find short-term work as well. We'd like to make enough $ to cover our living expenses (and health insurance) for the entire year, letting our investments grow untouched until we feel ready to completely retire. For the other 6 months when not working we want to travel, spend extended time with family, etc. Wish we were in a position to semi-fire now since my father is elderly and not in the best of health. Life is what it is, though.

Well, blast from the past this is. Let's see...

1) I'm essentially retired. I do teach a few days a week, but only b/c I love it - not b/c I have to.
2) DH is still working full-time. We have not amassed enough $ to take the plunge into full semi-retirement. We also need the health care coverage situation to become clearer before we take any leap, since I am now essentially uninsurable on the private market (due to a significant health issue we had no clue was coming our way).
3) My father passed away summer of 2008 - didn't know how prophetic my statement would be. :(

Despite all of that, we are happy to be alive and enjoying life! :D

I did not have a prediction of what our life would look like in 5 years. I was happily retired and DH was working full-time. In 12/07, I would not have been able to predict that I would now be working part-time, DH would be disabled and not working, that we would have a granddaughter and that DD, SIL and granddaughter would be living with us. One never knows what the future will hold. I wonder what will be going on in our lives over the next 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom