Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-08-2013, 05:20 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

#1 for me. I would be very unhappy with no time off. The shorter commute and 2 days work at home arrangement are also attractive, as is the comparative stability over the contract position.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Benefit and pay aside, which job would you enjoy most? Not that benefits, pay, etc. don't matter - but you don't want to trade one "horrible job" for another I assume...life is to short to hate your job, so you're better off finding another. Congrats...
+1 Based only on the info you posted #1 jumps out as the better choice. But the work itself and the people you work for will make a huge difference in job satisfaction. Unfortunately that can be hard to evaluate from interviews.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

#1....the free soda clinches it.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have to go with #1 as well. That working at home thing is schweeeet....

And DH does a contract/consulting gig, and gets paid by the hour, with no paid time off. Even if he does decide to take UNpaid time off, it's still miserable. They simply will not leave him alone, even after he tells them he double bills them when they call him on scheduled time off. It's a PITA, truly. Our trip this summer was ruined and I told him I won't go on more trips with him unless that d*mn phone is off the whole time.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #25

Congrats on receiving 2 job offers. I would go along with job #1, due to the benefits and being able to work from home 1 or 2 days per week.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I am also with #1 with most of the reasons posted...

Shorter commute... PTO, work from home... heck, I did a quick calc and it looks like #2 will require over 100 hours more commute per year... think how much that costs in gas and wear and tear on the car...

BUT, as some have said.... if #2 is more interesting work wise, then the other 'costs' to you will seem small....
Old 08-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Benefit and pay aside, which job would you enjoy most? Not that benefits, pay, etc. don't matter - but you don't want to trade one "horrible job" for another I assume...life is too short to hate your job, so you're better off finding another. Congrats...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickj
That is what makes the decision more difficult. I think I would enjoy job #2 more but job #1 is by no means a horrible job (I have a good friend who works there.)
Interesting that almost everyone is telling you #1, without even asking which job you like benefits aside. Pure job satisfaction is very important IMO, I'd hate to be unhappy with my work every day. Not everyone here by any means, but there are many members here who retired early because they hated loathed didn't like their job/career for a variety of reasons - IOW, not the best place to ask?

No one asked what the promotional opportunities are with either job either, that may be an important consideration.

While the PTO, commute & work from home of #1 certainly sound appealing - in that you say you may enjoy #2 more and it pays significantly more - it's certainly not that clear to me. If you don't like whichever job, in your field I suspect you will be able to find another opportunity more easily than most people...good luck with your decision, an 'embarrassment of riches.'

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #28

I'd take #1 DESPITE the free soda.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Which one do you think has the better management and co-workers?

Ever since I saw the impact a psychopath boss had on my health, family, and career, a good work environment has become my top priority. Once you are getting paid this much, small differences in pay and benefits are less important.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #30

The commute makes #2 a dead proposition for me. That's time out of your life you'd be giving up. I understand wanting challenge/growth in the job... Spend the hour/day you save in commute by taking job #1 to learn a skill or teach yourself something interesting.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Interesting that almost everyone is telling you #1, without even asking which job you like benefits aside. Pure job satisfaction is very important IMO, I'd hate to be unhappy with my work every day. Not everyone here by any means, but there are many members here who retired early because they hated loathed didn't like their job/career for a variety of reasons - IOW, not the best place to ask?

No one asked what the promotional opportunities are with either job either, that may be an important consideration.

While the PTO, commute & work from home of #1 certainly sound appealing - in that you say you may enjoy #2 more and it pays significantly more - it's certainly not that clear to me. If you don't like whichever job, in your field I suspect you will be able to find another opportunity more easily than most people...good luck with your decision, an 'embarrassment of riches.'

Even though I put in my response that if #2 was more interesting, take it... I also think that if it were THAT much more interesting he would not even be asking the question...
Old 08-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #32

This is not my area of expertise. Please provide details on your financial life and I can provide input on whether you should not take either. JK
Old 08-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooked View Post
#1 as long as you avoid the free soda.
WRONG!

Free soda is the reason to pick job #1. In fact take as much soda as possible, and then sell it as your "side" business on your telecommute days, to increase your income to the level of job #2.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #34
Dryer sheet wannabe

Does either company offer any sort of matching retirement funds?
Old 08-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Are the benefits comparable? I'm inclined to pick #1. If I picked option #2, I'd feel "guilty" for taking time off, since it would be money out of my pocket.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickj View Post
Having stayed too long at a horrible job; I have just received two job offers on the same day. Trying to make sure I am making the best decision with the offers in hand. I am leaning strongly towards taking job #1

Job #1
Medical Software Field
Full time position
18 days of PTO
10 paid holidays
35 minute commute 1 way
mid 90k salary range
work from home 1-2 days a week
free soda

Job #2
Satellite Imagery Field
Contract position (possibility to become full time 6 months to 2 years later)
No paid time off
commute time 45 to 50 minutes 1 way
hourly rate that works out to be over 110k (if working year round no pto)
work from office every day

I am extremely excited to have such a hard choice, thanks for any thoughtful responses!

(my wife has health benefits through her job so medical isn't really an issue with either job)
I would go with number one. The difference in pay in the second job does not make up for it.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrak View Post
Which one do you think has the better management and co-workers?

Ever since I saw the impact a psychopath boss had on my health, family, and career, a good work environment has become my top priority. Once you are getting paid this much, small differences in pay and benefits are less important.
+100.

Unfortunately, often times the only way to truly find this out is to start work there!

To hedge your bets, whichever offer you take, tell the OTHER company that "I just need some more time to think it over", and then start with the offer you take. After 2 weeks, you should have a good feel at your new digs whether or not there's serious problems with coworkers/management right off the bat.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

What did you do, OP?
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
#2 wins
Old 08-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

#2 wins

I ended up taking #2

I kind of surprised myself. I think all in all the benefits work out to be the same. Thankfully the recruiting manager had a few former employees that I could talk to about both companies and that helped clinch the deal. The work sounds more interesting and the company culture sounds great at company #2.

Truly blessed to have such a hard choice... leaving my current job is the absolute best bonus though!
Old 08-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations.

pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote