Which job to pick?

Well, I got the government job today. $54,000 a year. I passed on job # 2. I can't wait to start socking $$$ away in my TSP.

geeman said:
Well, I got the government job today.  $54,000 a year.  I passed on job job#.

I assume you meant to write that you passed on job #1, and accepted the government job (#2). If so, congratulations!

Now move to DC and land a date with Miss Barbara Bush

Geeman, here is an example of how deals can change even for Fed retirees:

House Republican leaders announced there will be no floor action on their version of fiscal 2007 Budget Resolution until after the March 20-24 District Work period.  However, on March 8th the 100 member Republican Study Committee released a five year plan to balance the budget.  Among items in the RSC’s 74-page plan is a proposal offered last year, as part of Operation Offset, to require future retirees with less than 30 years of service to pay higher Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHBP) premiums.  Specifically, for each year less than 30 years, new annuitants would have to pay 2 percent more of their FEHBP premium costs.  (The RSC document is posted at: http://www.house.gov/pence/rsc/doc/RSC_2007_BUDGET.doc  The FEHBP provision appears in the Health section, pages 49-53.  Prospectively “tenure- testing” FEHBP premiums is estimated to save $1.67 billion over five years.)

I'm sure if the government premiums increased, the private sector will soon follow.

Brat said:
Geeman, here is an example of how deals can change even for Fed retirees:

Gman, the take home from this should be to max out your TSP and save some additional cash besides. There are few problems that can't be solved by a sufficient amount of time or money. You've got #2, make sure you take care of #1.

#1 just called me and they want to know why I didn't take that position. I told them I decided to stay with my current employer.

geeman said:
#1 just called me and they want to know why I didn't take that position.  I told them I decided to stay with my current employer.

The problem with having done so is that the world is a very small place, and your little white lie may come back to haunt you. You could have just told job #1 that you took another position that was offered to you.

I'd say it's not a lie. Simply misrepresentation by omission. Gman IS staying with his current employer. Until he takes job # 2, that is!

Good point. I don't think it is really a big deal if I just tell them I decided to stay with my current employer.

REWahoo! said:
Justin, have you ever considered running for public office. You apparently have all the qualifications. ;)

I've given it serious thought. Seems like a lot of work though. 8)

After he has started at job #2 there is no harm in calling back the person who offered job #1 and share with them the real reason(s).

Availability 24/7 availability would be top on my list. That is something #1 can change, it reflects their staffing plans. That factor may also be the reason why others have passed on the opportunity.

Brat said:
Availability 24/7 availability would be top on my list.  That is something #1 can change, it reflects their staffing plans.  That factor may also be the reason why others have passed on the opportunity.

Good point, although I wouldn't expect job #1 to care all that much. There will always be someone desperate enough to take a job, no matter what the working conditions are.

Jay_Gatsby said:
Good point, although I wouldn't expect job #1 to care all that much.  There will always be someone desperate enough to take a job, no matter what the working conditions are.

True enough.  Desperate hires look for other opportunities once they have options.  They may stay a year or two just to make sure the resume doesn't convey employment instability, but they are very poachable.  Odds are HR has told them this, they may be waiting for an applicant management really wanted to support their position. 

Back
Top Bottom