Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-17-2011, 03:01 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm so glad I no longer have to make these kinds of decisions....
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #22

I would choose Option 1 if I were really and truly convinced that no more than 40 hours per week would be required (I am skeptical though).

If you really could work 8 hours/day M-F, having a fast-paced environment would IMO just make the day go by faster, and reduce the chances you'll get bored. In my experience, however, it is rare to find that sort of environment that allows you to stick to a 9-5 schedule and be successful.
Lusitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

just took offer #1. If I never tried, I'd never know.
ER_Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #24

First, congratulations on having a choice!

I think you can tell by the nearly even split that there is no right answer to your question. Hopefully, the points raised helped you think it through for yourself.

I always found the "4 quadrants" approach helpful in these kinds of situations - one choice in each column, positives/benefits for each choice on top row, negatives/concerns on second row. First pass is a brainstorm - dump out your first thoughts. Then put it aside and come back to it to add/subtract/edit/clarify your notes - several times over a day or two if possible. In most cases, this made the better choice pretty clear to me. (Somewhere I think I've seen this idea credited to Ben Franklin, but that may be just an urban myth.)

Finally, I have always tried to make "good" choices, not the "best" choice. Once you make the choice, go with it and learn from it regardless, and don't beat yourself up with "what ifs".

Good luck and let us know how it all works out!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would choose #1. Good luck.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER_Hopeful View Post
just took offer #1. If I never tried, I'd never know.
Congratulations!!!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
First, congratulations on having a choice!

I think you can tell by the nearly even split that there is no right answer to your question. Hopefully, the points raised helped you think it through for yourself.

I always found the "4 quadrants" approach helpful in these kinds of situations - one choice in each column, positives/benefits for each choice on top row, negatives/concerns on second row. First pass is a brainstorm - dump out your first thoughts. Then put it aside and come back to it to add/subtract/edit/clarify your notes - several times over a day or two if possible. In most cases, this made the better choice pretty clear to me. (Somewhere I think I've seen this idea credited to Ben Franklin, but that may be just an urban myth.)

Finally, I have always tried to make "good" choices, not the "best" choice. Once you make the choice, go with it and learn from it regardless, and don't beat yourself up with "what ifs".

Good luck and let us know how it all works out!
I never put that much thought into changing jobs - I always went after the money. Of course it helped to work for a megacorp and have lots of diverse job opportunites. But, then again, going after the money got me a comfortable early retirement.
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:09 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

option #1 is a contract to hire position. If after the initial contract period, things don't work out, I can get unemployment insurance, right? I'll be going in on a w2 for an agency before converting to a full timer.

edit: just to clarify. this is not mean to be a contract position but a permanent one. I think it's due to its demanding nature that it's more advantageous for them to start new hires as contractors.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:11 AM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
option #1 is a contract to hire position. If after the initial contract period, things don't work out, I can get unemployment insurance, right? I'll be going in on a w2 for an agency before converting to a full timer.
Now, that would have been a helpful piece of information to have yesterday...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
No kidding! That changes everything in my opinion. All kinds of questions come up re: do you have insurance, if things don't work out will your employer help you find another job, etc.

I would stake stability over additional pay every day of the week.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
well, that piece didn't really have that much weight in my decision making. my logic was that if I didn't like the place or work was too demanding, then we'll just part way so being a contractor or fulltimer doesn't make that much difference. As long as I can get UI, that'll give me breathing room to job hunt. My skill set is in pretty good demand in the metro L.A. area and after the (short/long)stinct in this new position, I'll be in a even strong position.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:30 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
No kidding! That changes everything in my opinion. All kinds of questions come up re: do you have insurance, if things don't work out will your employer help you find another job, etc.

I would stake stability over additional pay every day of the week.
I didn't mean to sound arrogant, but from my past experience, stability comes from skill set and marketability. BTW, they just dialed it to up $120k and is willing to shorted the contract period. If all depends on if I can take the heat...

edit: let's imagine it were a fulltime position to start with. If I couldn't tough it out in 6 months, I quit, that makes me much less eligible for UI.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #33

Assuming benefits were equal - coverage for family, etc. a contractor position can be easier to only work 8 hour days and just focus at task at hand. OT might even be paid at staright time or 1 1/2!
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #34

didn't sound arrogant at all. As long as you walk into the contract position understanding all of the ramifications then you've made the best choice for you.

My concern would be not knowing whether you qualify for unemployment. I don't think contractors are. I was a contractor for four years and had two contracts pulled with no notice when the program died. I couldn't file for unemployment in either case. But that was 15 years ago so things could have changed.

Good luck with whichever way you decide.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #35
gone traveling

Quote:
BTW, they just dialed it to up $120k and is willing to shorted the contract period.

I thought you accepted the job yesterday?
Congratulations on your first raise!
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats on the new job!
pimpmyretirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
You got me thinking...
I just emailed them some questions about conversion from contract to full time. If things don't smell right, I can still pull out, haven't signed anything yet.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
didn't sound arrogant at all. As long as you walk into the contract position understanding all of the ramifications then you've made the best choice for you.

My concern would be not knowing whether you qualify for unemployment. I don't think contractors are. I was a contractor for four years and had two contracts pulled with no notice when the program died. I couldn't file for unemployment in either case. But that was 15 years ago so things could have changed.

Good luck with whichever way you decide.

keep your thoughts coming, guys. pick holes in my logic, np. not too late to pull the plug.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the offer.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

What to do ???????????????

just came back from my final interview with #2, met very one from CTO to CEO, I LOVE their company, small , entrepreneurial, I can be my own boss. Da@n, I shouldn't have gone in the first place. my heart tells me #2, but my brain is telling me #1. what do you guys say ? hell with the $30k difference? I haven't sign anything so it's not too late ...