Join Early Retirement Today
Old 08-21-2007, 06:19 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Teachme, you say you grew up in a family that "just likes to work". Some families have an excellent work ethic and it's an expectation to grow up and develop a useful and productive career. I certainly came from such a family. What I did not grow up with was the idea that the only way to do that was to be employed in a job. Family members have been entrepreneurs, managed real estate portfolios, had j*obs and professions. Some (including my Dad) stuck with one track throughout their careers and rose in the ranks. Dad was happy to retire a little early when he was securely FI and I had graduated from university, In his retirement speech he revealed that he had actually hated much of his job, that he had longed for retirement day and was really looking forward to spending more time on his favourite pastimes. Luckily he had 20 good years of enjoyment before his health caught up with him.

I grew up in a culture of working to live, not living to work. When I heard Dad say he had hated his job, I realized that this was the only option he had to give our family the standard of living we had. He made sure I had a good education and that my mother was generously provided for after he died. When Mom died, I inherited a chunk of change.

I'm in a profession that can suck the life out of you along the way, and today has been a particularly tough day in that regard. I'm FI in part due to my profession but in truth, due to my parents' stick-to-it-iveness and good fiscal management over many years. They came from humble origins but came by their wealth honestly and taught me well. I refuse to be a hostage to my j*b and I will not let it control me. And if there are many more days like today, I know I can get out and do some of the other important things on my life list. I;m not slacking, I'm managing my life the way my family taught me to. And I know my hardworking Dad would be proud of me.

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2007, 06:58 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Ditto what Coach said.

I actually like my job most of the time, but I'm not in a position where I can take long periods of time off to travel. That is the main reason I want to RE. Health issues and the realization of how short life is have made me start thinking about it NOW not just "someday." I'm 47, and have a lot of things I want to do in the next 20 years. I know by 70 I probably won't have the stamina or motivation for some of the things I really want to do.

Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:38 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you're looking for a homogeneous lifestyle, consistent reason for RE or even consistent definition of RE on this board, you won't find it. For example, many refer to being "semi-RE'd" which, to me, seems like still needing to perform part time work. Some fled from work situations which, to them, were stressful and literally ruining their lives. Others drifted into RE still dabbling with prior careers which they enjoyed and would miss if they gave up entirely. Everyone has their own story and their own drivers.

What I do see as a common thread on this board is that RE'd folks or RE wannabees have or desire options and independence. That's what FIRE has done for me.
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:27 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
7 am arise and DW and I take the dog for an hour or so walk (Texas depends on the temp and time of year as to length of walk)…. What ever!
8 or so, breakfast followed or accompanied with a reading of the morning paper …… what ever!
9 sometimes 10 turn on the TV check the markets. Don’t have a clue why because I don’t mess with by allocation much more than twice a year….. what ever!
10-1 read one of several magazines, watch a movie, play on the computer, eat lunch …… what ever!
1 – 5 Putter in the yard, fix thing that always seem to be broke, bother the neighbors, go to town, mess with the forums….. what ever!
5 – 7 Drinks on the deck visit with the neighbors…. What ever!
7 – 10 Play Euchre with a group of other retired folks, Dinner, TV…. What ever!
Get up tomorrow do it all over again.

I had four distinct careers, Air Force Pilot, Commercial Appraiser, Programmer, and MIS Director. I enjoyed all four. However, when I realized I was FI things changed. What ever! Seemed a little more important. So far, I have not found a fifth career that would entice me back to the work force.

BTW, DW was a stay at home mother, then school teacher…. She retired the same time I did….. I guess What Ever! Got to her also.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:37 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.
I never had a passion for any particular j*b or career, though I have had some wonderful and some awful employment experiences. With ever changing interests, I have held many different j*bs that on the surface appear disconnected and unrelated, but there is a path. Now, I want the financial independence to pursue interests as they arise, some well off that current path and without the limitations of needing a salary or the stucture of employment. FI will allow me to do as I want, when I want, and for as long as I want - until I find something else that peaks my interest.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:59 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets
I kinda thought the entire system was strange when I was a kid, so made it my goal to retire at 30. Just turned 30 last month, and should be 100% retired by Nov.

Just never liked the entire, go to school, get a job, blah blah thing.

It is kinda like Nords signature. Youth is wasted on the young, and retirement wasted on the old.

I could keep working and add millions to my retirement, but have zero desire to do so.

Some wise guy from Egypt or somewhere once said "The gods gave man a simple life, and man made it complicated".

For me, I guess it all just boils down to true freedom.

Bigritchie is offline   Reply With Quote