Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Who is working to be FI rather than FIRE?
Old 05-06-2006, 04:23 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Maddy, I've been self-employed so quit dates were always going to be more blurry than someone on salary.

But I'm discovering it's also because I don't want to stop working. I could RE now. Instead I am continuing to do a lot of very satisfying free advocacy work as a lawyer. I'm greatly enjoying it.

I was never inclined to tell anyone I had ER'd -- didn't want the reactions, and no one needed to know.

Probably the best way to say it is I mostly work without pay now because I don't need the money, and I only work the hours I want to work, and I enjoy the hours I spend working. I like it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2006, 07:16 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
* If any potential employers are reading this, I'm not talking about you. I'd love to work for your company until age 60-65 and take minimal annual raises and weak bonuses...your company is that precious to me.
Actually BMJ, in most cases you don't need to worry about a prospective employer knowing you're a job hopper and unlikely to stay long.* Most actually prefer that these days.* What they don't like is the prospective employee who wants security, COLA raises despite mediocre/average performance, near-guaranteed tenure, no hassles, comfortable walking in the rut, etc.* The kiss of death in a job interview.....tell them you're looking for long term security in exchange for your loyalty.* Good luck!

Old 05-06-2006, 09:26 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm aiming for FI, not particularly RE. But who knows, all it would take is one jerk to make the workplace unpleasant. Never know what could happen.

Bpp
Old 05-07-2006, 09:33 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

FI is definately more important to me than RE. Mainly because I think I'd like to work, but just maybe have more choice in what the job is. Professional finger painter has a nice ring to it
Old 05-07-2006, 12:54 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Before FI, I had to deal with all the dumb politics and ego's. Once I reached FI, it was too much foolishness for me. Decoupling from it for a few months during a paid sabbatical, aka 'taking the frog out of the boiling water', definitely pushed the process along.

I suppose I could do a job again, just not that one or that type of one. Something low aggravation with no customers, no managers, no profits and no problems.

Hey...I already have that job! No wait...I have a 15 month old manager...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:14 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I am shooting for Finanacial Independence. I am long past dreams of Early Retirement (I am 58 and anticipate working for the next four years--apologies to the group).

Objective: Survival for spouse and self.

Gypsy
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:24 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
EDIT: If this works out well, I'm starting to wonder if job hopping every few years will become a habit. After a rough start it worked out well last time, and I tend to get bored with the same thing after a while. We'll see in 3-5 years. If any potential employers are reading this, I'm not talking about you. I'd love to work for your company until age 60-65 and take minimal annual raises and weak bonuses...your company is that precious to me.
That's been my MO. I've never stayed anywhere for more than 3 years, and it seems to be working OK. I think I am now in a well-matched spot: I've nevere stayed anywhere longer than 3 years and the company has no idea if the will even be in existance in 3 years.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:37 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I suppose I could do a job again, just not that one or that type of one.* Something low aggravation with no customers, no managers, no profits and no problems.
I'd add for myself.......no responsibility for others!
Old 05-09-2006, 08:58 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just RE today, well, at least for a couple of months before school starts. I wouldn't say it was the best decision from a purely financial point of view, but I have finally decided that the BS just isn't worth the money. All of my reasonable proposals were denied, so I figure, hey, if you the management want to look out only for your own interest, then I need to start looking out for mine. I simply don't see why I need to work my butt off until July, put my move and transition plans on hold, just so that I may or may not get my pension, so I bought myself two months of no-BS R&R and study time by leaving early. I just had a great 4-day weekend during which I helped a friend move, attended a family reunion, and emceed a wedding. I had a blast, and I didn't have worry whether I will have to get up early on Monday. Of course, I'll have to look for another job after school, but this current experience is good practice on how and when to walk out the door.

See this thread if you don't know know what I'm talking about:

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=7311.0
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:04 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsOfVeal
I just RE today, well, at least for a couple of months before school starts. I wouldn't say it was the best decision from a purely financial point of view, but I have finally decided that the BS just isn't worth the money. All of my reasonable proposals were denied, so I figure, hey, if you the management want to look out only for your own interest, then I need to start looking out for mine. I simply don't see why I need to work my butt off until July, put my move and transition plans on hold, just so that I may or may not get my pension, so I bought myself two months of no-BS R&R and study time by leaving early. I just had a great 4-day weekend during which I helped a friend move, attended a family reunion, and emceed a wedding. I had a blast, and I didn't have worry whether I will have to get up early on Monday. Of course, I'll have to look for another job after school, but this current experience is good practice on how and when to walk out the door.

See this thread if you don't know know what I'm talking about:

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=7311.0
Good for you. I could kind of see that your employer was set on giving you a raw deal, so I am glad you just got out. I would suggest that you tilt your time more toward R&R and less toward study. There is a lot to be said for starting school refreshed.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:09 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
That's been my MO. I've never stayed anywhere for more than 3 years, and it seems to be working OK. I think I am now in a well-matched spot: I've nevere stayed anywhere longer than 3 years and the company has no idea if the will even be in existance in 3 years.
This is a good way to go about it especially in the finance industry where loyalty to your alumni group, friends, and contacts is more beneficial. A friend of mine gave himself a 100% increase in base pay by hopping 4 jobs in 5 years. Nobody gave him hell.

Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote