Re: Who is your team of experts?
Old 01-24-2007, 05:59 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat
RAID or Black Flag?
nah....a Bic lighter!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2007, 07:55 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Shave one half
Set fire to the other half
Stab them with an icepick as they come running out

Old 01-25-2007, 11:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Just about the only thing I outsource is medical...although, on my recent trip to New Zealand, I self-diagnosed my sexless STD of crabs (apparently, the grungy, God-forsaken, refrigerators overflowing worn, tired hostel hadn't quite washed the sheets that well. Either that, or the guy that kept scratching himself nonstop left me a few hitchhikers on a chair that I unfortunately occupied soon after him) and even found a cure for it in the bargain bin of the local supermarket of all places. Smiley
I might be visiting NZ. I need more details on how to avoid this!! Please 8) Was there really a "scratching guy" . . . yuk.

Kramer
Old 01-27-2007, 01:03 AM   #24

LOL.....set fire to one half....in actuality, I've read that they burrow slightly into your skin. :uch:: So you probably don't want to set them scampering, lest they burrow even deeper.

As far as NZ goes, it's a beautiful, clean country. Just be careful if you stay in hostels in any part of the world - just have to stick with the cleaner, more 'upscale' ones.

The cure was some lice shampoo that had an active ingredient that several internet websites referenced as being the active ingredient in over-the-counter/prescription shampoos for crabs.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:00 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Moorebonds, at your age why in the world would you want a revocable living trust?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:23 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

this board, diehards, and a CPA (that would be me)
Old 01-27-2007, 01:48 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Just make sure you have the gain on the BS detector turned way up.
For the folks here on the board or the other guys?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:08 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Moorebonds, at your age why in the world would you want a revocable living trust?
The same reason someone at any age would want a revocable living trust:

1) Avoid probate costs (current NW: $864k, so probate will start to be an issue).
2) Offer an ever-so-slightly increased amount of privacy with ownership of assets. Actually, now that I look at my checking account checks (I rarely use paper checks anymore), it merely says "[insert name], Trustee". It doesn't even say "trustee, for [insert name] Revocable Living Trust", so there can be a bit more privacy than I first realized.
3) An easy way to consolidate all of my holdings under one umbrella and title all of my assets in case of my untimely demise. While a will could do the same thing for my taxable accounts, I've learned that some brokers will let you list a revocable living trust as a beneficiary to your IRA and still allow it to have IRA rollovers to beneficiary IRAs instead of mandatory cash-outs...and changing one trust document with beneficiary information is easier than having to change beneficiary forms at all of my IRA accounts.
4) It allows for successor trustees in case I'm unable to make financial decisions.
5) It gives you more than the standard $100,000 FDIC/NCUA insurance if the CD is titled in the revocable trust (not an issue at the moment, but may be in the future)...presuming you have more than one beneficiary.
6) It allows me to pick a trustee that I know and trust to handle my estate (although, again...with a will, you could appoint a person to handle your affairs).

I wouldn't set one up without having valid reasons. :P
Old 01-28-2007, 01:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds
The same reason someone at any age would want a revocable living trust:

1) Avoid probate costs (current NW: $864k, so probate will start to be an issue).
2) Offer an ever-so-slightly increased amount of privacy with ownership of assets. Actually, now that I look at my checking account checks (I rarely use paper checks anymore), it merely says "[insert name], Trustee". It doesn't even say "trustee, for [insert name] Revocable Living Trust", so there can be a bit more privacy than I first realized.
3) An easy way to consolidate all of my holdings under one umbrella and title all of my assets in case of my untimely demise. While a will could do the same thing for my taxable accounts, I've learned that some brokers will let you list a revocable living trust as a beneficiary to your IRA and still allow it to have IRA rollovers to beneficiary IRAs instead of mandatory cash-outs...and changing one trust document with beneficiary information is easier than having to change beneficiary forms at all of my IRA accounts.
4) It allows for successor trustees in case I'm unable to make financial decisions.
5) It gives you more than the standard $100,000 FDIC/NCUA insurance if the CD is titled in the revocable trust (not an issue at the moment, but may be in the future)...presuming you have more than one beneficiary.
6) It allows me to pick a trustee that I know and trust to handle my estate (although, again...with a will, you could appoint a person to handle your affairs).

I wouldn't set one up without having valid reasons. :P
Those are the same reasons that I had for setting up RLT's for my Mom, and for myself.

Goon 8)
Old 01-28-2007, 05:28 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Back to the op's thread ...........

DH & I have been self-employed for over 25 years, so we have an excellent CPA who keeps all those forms straight at tax time, an excellent BANKER (previously unmentioned by others but a very useful fellow!) who we can talk to locally at his office and get money within a couple of day doing little or no paperwork (it helps we have equity in real estate), and a lawyer who is good but currently ticking us off for being SLOW on something we need done.

Just thought you may want to add a good local banking institution to your mix.

Jane

On a side note - congrats, Peter, in accumulating such a nice stash at such a young age. I agree with the privacy factor on one's finances! 8)
Old 01-30-2007, 07:14 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

CPA, law firm, banker, contractor, maintenance guy that can fix anything cheap.