Who is your team of experts?

Peaceful_Warrior

Full time employment: Posting here.
Just curious -- which professionals do you have on your "team of experts" for purposes of life/financial planning?

Currently, I have my insurance agent and my real-estate agent (have yet to invest, but may do so near the end of this decline).

Right now I feel like my finances are simple enough I don't need a financial planner or CPA (I just use TaxAct Online for taxes). I also don't have a lawyer, though I do pay a nominal fee per paycheck through my company to have access to a lawyer for most family planning types of things. (Which reminds me, I still need to get my wills, living trusts, etc, done).

I have an estate lawyer, but other than the forum, that's about it. Having said that, the HS I went to sends roughly 50% of each class on to law school, so if I need any fathomable flavor of attorney, all I need to do is ask.

E-R.org = this discussion board. Nope, not a US thing, but some posters . . .never mind.

No experts for me except the folks here. I may be talking to a CLU concerning Long Term care insurance, though.

HFWR said:
E-R.org... :D
What he said. Heck, even my spouse, the font of all wisdom in our house, asks "Well, what do the ERs think?"

samclem said:
I may be talking to a CLU concerning Long Term care insurance, though.
It'll be interesting to hear his take on the federal LTC program. A couple years ago my father compared his Hancock policy to the FLTC program and had a better deal with Hancock. So tell us how it goes!

samclem said:
No experts for me except the folks here. I may be talking to a CLU concerning Long Term care insurance, though.

Just make sure you have the gain on the BS detector turned way up.

We have an Enrolled Agent to do our taxes. Had our wills drawn up last year, but have no other reason to consult an attorney at this time (I'm a paralegal and have contacts with lawyers in several specializations; it won't be difficult to find one if we ever need one).

For general financial stuff, this board and my own outside reading.

This forum.

heh heh heh heh heh - Still have my taxes done - same place for twenty plus yrs out of habit.

My neighbor, although I need to change that this year with the help of this forum and reading as much as possible.

This board and a CPA. Best value comes from this board.

This board and a local attorney to redraw my will and related stuff after my divorce. Sometimes www.fatwallet.com folks, but they're a less talented and less wise group that the folks here IMHO.

2Cor521

Lets see: a realtor I've known for years, even though we've not bought any investment property yet, a handy insurance broker whom I trust, a lawyer friend who I try not too bother too much (just wills and such), and the two CFPs who employ me in a wealth management practice and who support my investing and FIRE goals.

Studying for the CFP has been really enlightening, and I have learned the CFP board really endorses the team approach for most FP areas, especially taxation and (of course) estate planning. I have done our taxes for years, but mostly because we are simple folks, with just the standard deduction.

Sarah

I have a CFA, so I feel comfortable relying on myself to do research as needed on these boards and elsewhere. My dad pretty much knows everything about...well, everything, so I can go to him and get good advice.

One of my best friends is a CPA and does my taxes.

And I have a few friends who are lawyers - they looked over my will and health care directive.

Karen

Am working on CFP, but I have two fee-based CFP's I work with, two estate planning attorneys, and a top agent at NML who is a CLU and Chfc, and MDRT life member..........

Taxes - some poor guy I know, just trying to save a buck...yet who will wind up banging his head against a wall for 4 hours to try and solve it himself rather than go down to the local H&R Block office to pay some nitwit who knows less than him.

Investing - Primary advisor is a 30 year old up-and-coming investing guru. Has a lot in common with Peter Lynch (okay...so they share the first name. But it's a start. ;) ). Sub-advisors include a finance guy working for a fund who likes to brew beer at home, a retired navy submariner who has superhuman surfing abilities gains from being stationed around nuclear stockpiles a little too long, and a host of dozens other unpaid professionals. Confidential source.

Legal - A guy who looks a lot like me, who copied his grandmothers Revocable Living Trust that she had worked up by someone - with a few additions here and there.

Purchasing - A young adult who loves maximizing his bang-for-his-buck, and is the consummate economist deep down inside.

If only I could find someone that has all of these qualities rolled up into one...;)

Just about the only thing I outsource is medical...although, on my recent trip to New Zealand, I self-diagnosed my sexless STD of crabs (apparently, the grungy, God-forsaken, refrigerators overflowing worn, tired hostel hadn't quite washed the sheets that well. Either that, or the guy that kept scratching himself nonstop left me a few hitchhikers on a chair that I unfortunately occupied soon after him) and even found a cure for it in the bargain bin of the local supermarket of all places. :)

MooreBonds said:
I self-diagnosed my sexless STD of crabs (apparently, the grungy, God-forsaken, refrigerators overflowing worn, tired hostel hadn't quite washed the sheets that well. Either that, or the guy that kept scratching himself nonstop left me a few hitchhikers on a chair that I unfortunately occupied soon after him) and even found a cure for it in the bargain bin of the local supermarket of all places. :)

RAID or Black Flag?

Shave one half
Set fire to the other half
Stab them with an icepick as they come running out

Just about the only thing I outsource is medical...although, on my recent trip to New Zealand, I self-diagnosed my sexless STD of crabs (apparently, the grungy, God-forsaken, refrigerators overflowing worn, tired hostel hadn't quite washed the sheets that well. Either that, or the guy that kept scratching himself nonstop left me a few hitchhikers on a chair that I unfortunately occupied soon after him) and even found a cure for it in the bargain bin of the local supermarket of all places. Smiley
I might be visiting NZ. I need more details on how to avoid this!! Please 8) Was there really a "scratching guy" . . . yuk.

Kramer

LOL.....set fire to one half....in actuality, I've read that they burrow slightly into your skin. ::eek:uch:: So you probably don't want to set them scampering, lest they burrow even deeper.

As far as NZ goes, it's a beautiful, clean country. Just be careful if you stay in hostels in any part of the world - just have to stick with the cleaner, more 'upscale' ones.

The cure was some lice shampoo that had an active ingredient that several internet websites referenced as being the active ingredient in over-the-counter/prescription shampoos for crabs.

Moorebonds, at your age why in the world would you want a revocable living trust?

Back
Top Bottom