Why aren't there more women science professors?

When I was a junior at the University of Washington in the early 70's, there were 6 undergraduates with Y chomes. Because I was with a "registered" student organization, I got them a place to hold SWE meetings and I was usually there since I was supposed to be as the meeting "sponsor." I thought it was interesting that 5 of the girls had engineer fathers. The other one was self-admittedly on an MRS program. She was pretty cute. I might have gone for the bait but I wasn't Jewish -- a key requirement. She didn't even believe in multi-culturalism.

Things have definitely changed. My son said that over 1/3 of his ME class was women. The ChE class is almost 50%. The key question is what happens next. I've seen many women do what to me now makes more sense than killing yourself for a "career." There's some that go for it but they have to give up "everything" to rise up in an organization -- pretty much like a male has to do. I wish I could undo some of my self-destructive career decisions.

deserat said:
As for 3-d visualization in fliud mechanics - etc - sure - but not as hard as the fold out origami drawing stuff...
Spouse was reading a Dilbert cartoon where he mentioned manipulating three-dimensional objects in his head. (Scott Adams must have a very restless brain.) She asked me if I do that.

I said "What, doesn't everybody?"

By the time the conversation was over I'd been forced to confess that my brain does not sit idle. If I'm not actively engaged with a keyboard or a book (or at least watching something) then I'm moving objects around in my head or revisiting memories from long ago or enjoying my own personal classic rock soundtrack. Even when I'm driving I'm measuring the range rates & bearing rates of cars for my next maneuver. I have a horrible time falling asleep unless I'm exhausted plus counting backwards slowly or manipulating a simple object.

Spouse said that when she sits idle she can make her brain do the same. She can literally achieve a tranquil state of no thought, just a quiet buzz, without even going to sleep. We decided that if I ever try meditation I will suck at it.

So, men, are your brains generally this busy? Is this testosterone poisoning, or do I have a different issue to sort out with my spouse?

Nords said:
By the time the conversation was over I'd been forced to confess that my brain does not sit idle.  If I'm not actively engaged with a keyboard or a book (or at least watching something) then I'm moving objects around in my head or revisiting memories from long ago or enjoying my own personal classic rock soundtrack.  Even when I'm driving I'm measuring the range rates & bearing rates of cars for my next maneuver.  I have a horrible time falling asleep unless I'm exhausted plus counting backwards slowly or manipulating a simple object.

Spouse said that when she sits idle she can make her brain do the same.  She can literally achieve a tranquil state of no thought, just a quiet buzz, without even going to sleep.  We decided that if I ever try meditation I will suck at it.

So, men, are your brains generally this busy?  Is this testosterone poisoning, or do I have a different issue to sort out with my spouse?

I have to admit I do the same stuff. I can't not think about something. Sleep is a rare commodity and winding down my brain takes a while. It is like a washing maching slowing down from the spin cyle some times.

Bearing rates and vectors of other cars...I love that..and do that too.

Meditation? Can't do it..tried many times but I can't focus on just one thing for long.
Even when I read I can't seem to stay focused. I jump ahead and try to resolve all the character issues, conflicts and plot twists all the time.

I thought it was because I need to retire...guess you blew that idea out the window...

Nords said:
Spouse was reading a Dilbert cartoon where he mentioned manipulating three-dimensional objects in his head. (Scott Adams must have a very restless brain.) She asked me if I do that.

I have a horrible time falling asleep unless I'm exhausted plus counting backwards slowly or manipulating a simple object.

My "female" version of this is moving furniture around in my head. Will this fit there? How will this fit together with that?

Very relaxing to me.

Nords said:

SteveR said:
I have to admit I do the same stuff.

Martha said:
My "female" version of this is moving furniture around in my head. Will this fit there? How will this fit together with that?

You people need some professional help. ;)

Or maybe more exposure to the basics of life (spoken with authority as I just got back from killing a rattlesnake in a neighbor's garage...husband working, wife goes out to put something in garbage can...Hello! Panicked phone call at 7:15 AM).

Any guess as to what object I'll be manipulating in my head for a while?

REWahoo! said:
Or maybe more exposure to the basics of life (spoken with authority as I just got back from killing a rattlesnake in a neighbor's garage...husband working, wife goes out to put something in garbage can...Hello!  Panicked phone call at 7:15 AM).
You and Ol' Rancher are going to have to add that story to your "Why you Californians don't want to move to Texas" list...

Duh

And here I thought Texan's kept rattlesnakes as mouser's!

Another myth perhaps:confused:

heh heh heh

unclemick2 said:
Duh

And here I thought Texan's kept rattlesnakes as mouser's!

Another myth perhaps:confused:

heh heh heh

No myth, just an imported Texan. (Pssst. How do I say this delicately...she's a Canadian! ::))

REWahoo! said:
No myth, just an imported Texan.  (Pssst.  How do I say this delicately...she's a Canadian! ::))
So why the heck would you bother to help her? She'll just tell her family & friends how helpful you were and before you know it...

Oh, waitaminnit-- what are you grilling this weekend?!?

SteveR said:
I have to admit I do the same stuff. I can't not think about something. Sleep is a rare commodity and winding down my brain takes a while. It is like a washing maching slowing down from the spin cyle some times.

Bearing rates and vectors of other cars...I love that..and do that too.

Meditation? Can't do it..tried many times but I can't focus on just one thing for long.
Even when I read I can't seem to stay focused. I jump ahead and try to resolve all the character issues, conflicts and plot twists all the time.

I thought it was because I need to retire...guess you blew that idea out the window...

Ding ding ding!

I guess this is why we both need prescription hypnotics to fall asleep.

My restless calculations involve what a certain 16 month old is climbing up on, and what his head is going to hit if he falls in direction 'a' vs direction 'b'.

I've now compounded this by getting him a little car with a 6 volt electric motor in it, and he's already figured out how to 'make it go'. We're still working on the steering.

The dogs are unamused.

Back
Top Bottom