Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-10-2015, 09:56 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Although still a newbie retiree (9 months), I have been busier now than when I was w+rking! But...I've been doing things that I want to do, not what some clown manager wanted me to do.

I have thoroughly enjoyed no commute, avoiding large crowds on the weekends, and no loathing the start of school.

But...I think I might be an idiot since I'm starting law school next week. So...although I'm looking forward to the challenge, I'm not looking forward to the commute or being 41 years old and in class with a bunch of 23 year olds. Nonetheless, if it's something I decide I'm not enjoying, I can leave as it will have no bearing on the rest of my retirement life at all!

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2015, 04:34 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When the BS bucket line crosses the FI line, retirement happens!
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:55 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Thirty-seven hours and a short commute is not bad. I work part-time from home at a hobby job and I think I will keep doing that until they pry the mouse out of my cold, dead hand. I like the extra money, financial security and brain work.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:32 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
As you get older, you have less patience for the mundane megacorp hoops that you must jump through. Far too many useless meetings, doping things just to do them, digging a hole just to fill it in the next day.

Your vacations can be open ended. Your time at night not cut short by 'bedtime' because of the office, the traffic in the snow not mandatory any more.
Right on, Senator. I'm not quite retired yet but want to be. My wife says: you used to love work, why do you want to retire?

I'm showing her your post.
Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:54 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

If someone like the OP could see what my days are like as an early retiree...HE WOULD UNDERSTAND.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:08 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
If someone like the OP could see what my days are like as an early retiree...HE WOULD UNDERSTAND.
Seriously, I do want to understand. What are your days like? By the way, I'm a she
sirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:09 PM   #47
Administrator

If I may go off on a tangent -- the young wife and I moved into our historic house almost 25 years ago. We were young and energetic, and we had no money, so we worked on it ourselves-- scraping, painting, wall papering, repairing etc. Now, after 25 years, there are things that need re-scraping, re-painting and re-repairing. Since we have always done it ourselves, we are now doing it again. But I have noticed that our work is much slower these days. I can no longer work hard all Saturday, sleep soundly at night, and get up on Sunday raring to tackle another project. What used to be accomplished in a weekend now takes two or three weeks. And that is a factor pushing us toward retirement in the near future -- we like to do the same things, but it takes us substantially longer. Work simply gets in the way of our life.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:14 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
Yep, in mini-MegaCorp, you're over the hill if you are over 40 and "still" an individual contributor. Stars are inducted into management in their 30's while still impressionable. The rest of the working folks were replaced by Pacific Rim kids in their 20's. Good kids though, and they needed the work to feed their families. I know, I trained many of them. But it was time to start stepping. I was 45.

Oh, I forgot to mention, that I planned to ER at 55 when I first began my technical career. I saw what happened to my elders in their 50's. It wasn't pretty, but I learned that I needed an escape plan to pursue FI as a precursor to ER.

I didn't take me too long either to see that once you hit 50 ( in software development land anyways ) that one should be well on the way to FI

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:53 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
we like to do the same things, but it takes us substantially longer. Work simply gets in the way of our life.
That would suggest that you are getting paid a premium since your productivity has dropped so much. Keep those wages coming in so that you can hire someone to do the work around the house.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:01 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Seriously, we hire people to do things that we don't want to do and also jobs that we are not as productive at. This is an unwritten joy of retirement. Do only what you want when you want. It reduces the legacy but our heirs will never know.

OTOH we shop for bargains because it is easy.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:49 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirion View Post
I guess I always thought I would retire early. I'm 41 and a saver and will likely be in a financial position to do so. We have about 11x our gross income or 19x estimated retirement expenses in savings. I'm having trouble figuring out what I would do with myself, however, if I stopped working. I know people say you only have so much time left, etc., but I feel like I do everything I want to already and work FT plus raise a child. I work out, see my friends, eat well, vacation a few times a year, volunteer, spend time with my DH, relax, craft, am learning French for fun, go to DD's events, watch TV... I am lucky to have found a job that requires only 30-35 hours a week and pays $135k with a 15 min door to desk commute. It's a contract, however and may not last more than another 4-5 years. I guess I feel like if you will regret not doing something if you die, you should do it now regardless. If I'm diagnosed with cancer or another life-threatening illness, it will suck, but I don't think I'll have true regrets about how I spend my time. Maybe things will change in an unpredictable way. Of course, I'll never regret saving too much if I become disabled.

So, do you want to retire early? If so, what will you do with the extra time? Are you worried about dying before you do something? If so, why not do it now?

Maybe I'm just a boring person.
It sounds like you are well on your way to the financial end of FIRE (the FI part). If you still love your j*b and the people with which you w*rk I see no reason to be too concerned that you don't necessarily want to retire at this point. I suggest you keep enjoying your life (now that you are w*rking and in the future when you feel the "call" to retire.) I honestly believe you will know when it is time to leave. Just keep up the saving and investing so you will be flexible enough to leave if your situation suddenly changes.

I too was enjoying my w*rk - until I didn't. Being ready (financially) to go meant a lot. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:50 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Life, liberty and THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS.

Sent from my LGL34C using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Henry Lili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:23 AM   #53

So I'm retiring early (hopefully next year at 55) from my megacorp job.

the main reason is that I hate my job and as another poster mentioned I'm getting less and less tolerant of the BS this company is putting me through.

I'm spending this year researching other things I would like to do. I am not the type to sit at home and do nothing, not that that is what early retirees do.
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:06 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
So I'm retiring early (hopefully next year at 55) from my megacorp job.

the main reason is that I hate my job and as another poster mentioned I'm getting less and less tolerant of the BS this company is putting me through.

I'm spending this year researching other things I would like to do. I am not the type to sit at home and do nothing, not that that is what early retirees do.

Dont let the moss grow on your rear Clover because once it starts.....I had all sorts of plans today, but due to my early retirement laziness all I accomplished was happy hour beer and dinner with my girlfriend after she got off work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:17 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Dont let the moss grow on your rear Clover because once it starts.....
Doing that and converting various substances to water are two of my favourite tasks.

(A long-retired friend gave us this advice: "Don't plan more than one big thing each day." Always leave room for the unplanned!)