Join Early Retirement Today

Wife is Pregnant!
Old 04-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Wife is Pregnant!

Found out about 3 hours ago! We've been trying but this is our first and my mind is having a tough time wrapping itself around this whole situation but I am elated! I come here today for advice, mostly financial, but I'm open for any and all! I am active duty AF so medical care for my wife will be virtually free through, during, and after the pregnancy as well as for the child. I have $400k life insurance and about $5,000 in savings. We are both 25.

Any and all advice welcome. How much do I need to save before the baby gets here? I'm sure we will have a baby shower with family at some point. We live below our means now and save regularly. I get a $500/mo pay raise next month for time in service.

Thanks in advance!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, how did that happen....

Congrats!!!

Old 04-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Also our only debt is in student loans which we are paying down each month.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations ATC Guy!. My daughter and her navy special forces husband are pregnant with their first too! Due in October.
How much to save? As much as you can and don't forget to start that college/education fund immediately after baby is born!
Try to refrain from buying lots of cute newborn stuff. They can't wear it after a month or so! Cribs and baby furniture buy used or at Target. I understand they have a nice crib/dresser/rocker set for $600.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats...save as much as you can and open college savings 529 plan as soon as baby gets SS no. I deposited 25K initially and then automated about 250/month. It feels great when you know your child's education is secured!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Awesome news! Will post any advice I can think of later - for now just congrats!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #7

Congratulations. And enjoy the new baby smell when he/she is an infant. It's much better than the new car smell. There's something wonderful about the smell of a newborn's head.

Also - don't believe the "sleep when the baby sleeps" mantra. Newborns sleep in 15 minute increments... most adults can't fall asleep that quick - so it's a stupid saying... Plan on giving your wife 4 hour blocks (or more) for her to get uninterrupted sleep. It will be good for your wife, and good for you to be a hands on dad and bond with the baby.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
Congratulations ATC Guy!. My daughter and her navy special forces husband are pregnant with their first too! Due in October.
How much to save? As much as you can and don't forget to start that college/education fund immediately after baby is born!
Try to refrain from buying lots of cute newborn stuff. They can't wear it after a month or so! Cribs and baby furniture buy used or at Target. I understand they have a nice crib/dresser/rocker set for $600.
At our Goodwill, onesies are 50 cents each. No need to buy fancy ones since they just spit up on them and have to be changed and washed so much anyway. Just one way to save a little money.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #9

ATC guy took ER as meaning retiring early to bed, and look at what happened when you do that. Congratulation though.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #10

Congratulations. That's the type of news I love to hear about.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #11

Congratulations!!!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
At our Goodwill, onesies are 50 cents each. No need to buy fancy ones since they just spit up on them and have to be changed and washed so much anyway. Just one way to save a little money.
AND they grow out of everything SO FAST. It is amazing how quick they grow.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

http://www.youtube.com/naZwaUEJ7i8

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #14
Administrator

ATC Guy. Here is Stevie Wonder singing with sheer joy about his new daughter, Aisha. I know you'll be equally ecstatic with a son or daughter. Congratulations and best wishes.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

That's wonderful man.... Congratulations!!
Old 04-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats man. I am in the same boat as you. Wife is due in september, though.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #17

Congratulations!!!

It seemed for us that you need to cover your initial stuff for the room in one fell swoop. After that we were good with a reasonable monthly budget amount. Until college comes. If you plan to pay for college you need to start early on that, including where and howmuch.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #18

Congratulations! It is always nice to hear good news.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #19

How wonderful for you (and her)! Next time it will not be your mind that needs wrapping around it.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats. Bump up that life insurance and get some on her.

I wouldn't worry about the stuff side. People will give you lots, they don't really need much, and yard sales and thrift stores are options. That said, if you have the room, get a comfortable glider. You will spend some time in that chair.