Winter Blues Threaten LBYM

Here in St. Louis we've had more snow than normal. This was Tuesday, when we had more than 10 inches of snow in less than 8 hours. I'm ready for spring:D

Wow, someone from St. Louis! I used to live there...actually in Ballwin.

I still keep in touch with my friends and they tell me about the snow and sleet. I laugh at them, but then they know I have to deal with TX weather. I guess it evens out. :)

Ahem.

I lived south of Buffalo for a year and as soon as the thaw came (mid-June), I vamoosed to California. Left skid marks on the way out and haven't looked back since.

May I gently propose that if the winter is getting to you now, it's likely to do so in the future, raising the same threat to FIRE over and over again. This doesn't take into account the heating costs you pay each and every year.

What would it be like to stay home, light a fire, and research some places that you might move to permanently, now or later, as a strategic way out of this? If a full-time move doesn't make sense, maybe you find a shack, trailer, etc. in a southern state and plan on spending time there during your winters once you're retired.

A final alternative...

...how about a swap with some nice folks down south who like to play in the white stuff? Might be a cheap way to get 'er done.

In fact, relocating has crossed my mind more than once. To be fair, this year has been the coldest winter for the last 12 years. I don't really plan on retiring here, but retirement is a long ways off. I do like the trailer idea and think my job may let me take off 3 weeks each winter. (In fact, I used this privilege too early this year in Dec-Jan. I need to save it for March, when it's the most depressing) :duh:

House swapping is a new idea, though. I just need to find willing victims from southern states. I wonder if there are many takers?? :rolleyes:

Sitting here waiting for the next major snow event -- predictions are for anywhere from 5 to 10 inches in the next 18 or so hours...much more if the storm moves a bit north and the winds pick up.

On the positive side, though, I just read that the UV Index here in Michigan is currently 0. That's right: ZERO. Just thinking how much I'm saving on sun screen/block is giving me chills. Oh, wait. Someone just opened the back door to let the dogs in. Never mind.

Same thoughts here. It is 9 below right now. It is hard to see how three days will help though. Any way to get a week off? In a week or so I am headed south for a while and I can't wait.
you realize you Minnesota-ites (?) are starting to make my area look like a tropical paradise. wow!
we need the warm weather folks to send us some solar energy. :)

Just thinking how much I'm saving on sun screen/block is giving me chills. Oh, wait. Someone just opened the back door to let the dogs in. Never mind.

:2funny:

It's all zeros here... 0 UV, 0F, feels like 0F.

I'm kinda glad we haven't committed to buying any property yet.

you realize you Minnesota-ites (?) are starting to make my area look like a tropical paradise. wow!
we need the warm weather folks to send us some solar energy. :)

Minnesotans... or, at this rate, you can just call us popsicles. Glad to help :(

I thought New Jersey weather was bad.....I'm not complaining anymore!

OK Enough if this. I've got about 8 inches since 2PM yesterday with another 10 predicted before midnight.
No Fair.

Bruce

We had a wonderful time up there and wished we could have stayed longer in "snow country". All in all, I probably spent $300 and Frank probably spent $400 or $500 for our little interlude in the snow. Ouch.

Does that help? :2funny:

Wow a ten day vacation for $700 ! That is really a inexpensive trip . How did you do it ??

OK Enough if this. I've got about 8 inches since 2PM yesterday with another 10 predicted before midnight.
No Fair.

Bruce

After much soul-searching, I've decided not to touch this one.

Having a blizzard here.

I went out to the bird feeder and the snow depth was an average of 15 inches. The grackles and red-wing blackbirds arrived this week and large numbers are on and around the patio. I've shoveled the patio three times, and the snow keeps drifting over the sunflower seeds. No squirrels today. The cat was outside for 5 minutes and hasn't even gone to the door since.

Snow plow hasn't been here yet; don't think the USPS will make it out today. I'll go out later and shovel out the fire hydrant.

Having a blizzard here.

I went out to the bird feeder and the snow depth was an average of 15 inches. The grackles and red-wing blackbirds arrived this week and large numbers are on and around the patio. I've shoveled the patio three times, and the snow keeps drifting over the sunflower seeds. No squirrels today. The cat was outside for 5 minutes and hasn't even gone to the door since.

Snow plow hasn't been here yet; don't think the USPS will make it out today. I'll go out later and shovel out the fire hydrant.

Sounds like a wonderful day to be sipping hot chocolate, pet the cat, and enjoy the tranquility. Doesn't the fire hydrant freeze?

Cheers! :D

Sounds like a wonderful day to be sipping hot chocolate, pet the cat, and enjoy the tranquility. Doesn't the fire hydrant freeze?

Cheers! :D

Hydrants are designed not to freeze.

One squirrel has put in an appearance.

Just shoveled off another 3 inches of drifted snow.

Wow a ten day vacation for $700 ! That is really a inexpensive trip . How did you do it ??

Oh gosh, my post was misleading, wasn't it. We didn't spend as much time up there as we had planned. We left New Orleans on Friday morning, and got back late Tuesday night because an ice storm was moving in so we zipped down south just ahead of it. We drove clear through on the way back, though we stopped on the way up for a day to attend a hamfest (ham radio enthusiasts swapmeet) and enjoy looking around in Jackson, MS. We spent four nights in a motel (a little less than $350), gas was $200, and meals were around $200. Our entertainment was free - - attending open houses and such. So, between the two of us the entire trip cost around $300 for me, $400-$500 for Frank, just like I said, but we didn't stay for the whole ten days! We were only gone from New Orleans for five days. Gosh, did we have fun, though! It was wonderful to get away and I wish we were up there again right now.

Last edited:
You folks in middle America sure have been dumped on this year!

The good part is: I'm retired! :D

I wasn't planning on leaving the house until Monday, and I could slip that to Tuesday or Wednesday if necessary.

just took some pics yesterday for craiglist ad to rent house. here's the park nearby and beach within easy walking distance. come on down. bring inflatable furniture and i'll rent you the house for the weekend on the e.r. forum discount plan.

img_625972_0_e4e698d04a3e8ff2435cfb110a2ad753.jpg

img_625972_1_33f7bee1cd37c9d7622ed78cf62c36a3.jpg

Help! This winter has been so tough here in Minnesota that I am really tempted to do something crazy. It's -15 overnight with wind chill, and cold nights like this have become commonplace. :rolleyes:

Sounds like a trip south is needed!

Uum, I got up this morning, hopped on my bike and pedaled the 7 miles to my running club race. After running the race (in shorts and t-shirt) and thinking it was a bit warm over the last couple of miles, I stopped at the farmers market on the way home and stuffed my backpack with locally grown veges.

Breakfast included an orange that I picked off the tree in my back yard yesterday.

I'm now sitting at the computer looking out the window at a 70F day with crystal clear blue ski. My plum tree is covered with white blossoms and the current and manzanita are also in bloom. The apple, persimmon, and pomegrante are also starting to show green and DW is mowing the back lawn.

But it is expected to get down to 45F tonight. Brrrrr!

Sorry but sometimes those of us in the high cost but nice weather locations just have to gloat a little.

MB

Gloat?

I just came back from a short walk through 15" snow. It's beautiful: soft and white and deep. Most of the birds in the area have figured out where the food is: black and red birds against white snow and black branches.

Retirement has brought me back to some of the good parts of childhood.

Snow isn't a problem unless you have to be somewhere. My neighbor has to go to work; he shoveled his driveway, but it's a quarter mile to a plowed road; he said someone with 4-wheel drive will come get him.

I don't want fire ants, hurricanes, and 90F and humid several months of the year.

And now the sun has appeared; white and bright.

I only wish I had a house with more insulation and solar gain.

Gloat?

I just came back from a short walk through 15" snow. It's beautiful: soft and white and deep. Most of the birds in the area have figured out where the food is: black and red birds against white snow and black branches.

Retirement has brought me back to some of the good parts of childhood.

Snow isn't a problem unless you have to be somewhere. My neighbor has to go to work; he shoveled his driveway, but it's a quarter mile to a plowed road; he said someone with 4-wheel drive will come get him.

I don't want fire ants, hurricanes, and 90F and humid several months of the year.

And now the sun has appeared; white and bright.

I only wish I had a house with more insulation and solar gain.

I agee that the snow can be very nice at times, much more so when you don't have to go to work in it, but as another poster mentioned I recall getting very tired of winter about this time of year when I lived in snow country.

I live in CA now so I don't have fire ants, hurricanes or humidity. An earth quake every now and then though.

MB

The "perfect climate" is hard to find. One sister lived in Pembroke Pines, just north of Miami, FL in the early 80's and found it not to her liking - too humid and hot. They take their cockroaches seriously there.

But we found that snow doesn't matter so much if you don't have to go anywhere. The first year of RE we had a 2.5 foot snowfall and aside from trips to the curb for mail we didn't go outside for a week. Made a big pot of beef stew and had some movies to watch.

But still, the SIL's place in Murrell's Inlet, SC is looking mighty inviting about now. About a 10-hour drive with stops.

Help! This winter has been so tough here in Minnesota that I am really tempted to do something crazy.

Tell me about it! February up here was pretty rough and I was ready to slit my wrists.

I live in Alaska, btw.

Back
Top Bottom