Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-08-2008, 01:30 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
You folks in middle America sure have been dumped on this year!
The good part is: I'm retired!

I wasn't planning on leaving the house until Monday, and I could slip that to Tuesday or Wednesday if necessary.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

just took some pics yesterday for craiglist ad to rent house. here's the park nearby and beach within easy walking distance. come on down. bring inflatable furniture and i'll rent you the house for the weekend on the e.r. forum discount plan.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:01 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSense View Post
Help! This winter has been so tough here in Minnesota that I am really tempted to do something crazy. It's -15 overnight with wind chill, and cold nights like this have become commonplace.
Sounds like a trip south is needed!

Uum, I got up this morning, hopped on my bike and pedaled the 7 miles to my running club race. After running the race (in shorts and t-shirt) and thinking it was a bit warm over the last couple of miles, I stopped at the farmers market on the way home and stuffed my backpack with locally grown veges.

Breakfast included an orange that I picked off the tree in my back yard yesterday.

I'm now sitting at the computer looking out the window at a 70F day with crystal clear blue ski. My plum tree is covered with white blossoms and the current and manzanita are also in bloom. The apple, persimmon, and pomegrante are also starting to show green and DW is mowing the back lawn.

But it is expected to get down to 45F tonight. Brrrrr!

Sorry but sometimes those of us in the high cost but nice weather locations just have to gloat a little.

MB
Old 03-08-2008, 03:28 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Gloat?

I just came back from a short walk through 15" snow. It's beautiful: soft and white and deep. Most of the birds in the area have figured out where the food is: black and red birds against white snow and black branches.

Retirement has brought me back to some of the good parts of childhood.

Snow isn't a problem unless you have to be somewhere. My neighbor has to go to work; he shoveled his driveway, but it's a quarter mile to a plowed road; he said someone with 4-wheel drive will come get him.

I don't want fire ants, hurricanes, and 90F and humid several months of the year.

And now the sun has appeared; white and bright.

I only wish I had a house with more insulation and solar gain.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:35 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Gloat?

I just came back from a short walk through 15" snow. It's beautiful: soft and white and deep. Most of the birds in the area have figured out where the food is: black and red birds against white snow and black branches.

Retirement has brought me back to some of the good parts of childhood.

Snow isn't a problem unless you have to be somewhere. My neighbor has to go to work; he shoveled his driveway, but it's a quarter mile to a plowed road; he said someone with 4-wheel drive will come get him.

I don't want fire ants, hurricanes, and 90F and humid several months of the year.

And now the sun has appeared; white and bright.

I only wish I had a house with more insulation and solar gain.
I agee that the snow can be very nice at times, much more so when you don't have to go to work in it, but as another poster mentioned I recall getting very tired of winter about this time of year when I lived in snow country.

I live in CA now so I don't have fire ants, hurricanes or humidity. An earth quake every now and then though.

MB
Old 03-08-2008, 03:57 PM   #46

The "perfect climate" is hard to find. One sister lived in Pembroke Pines, just north of Miami, FL in the early 80's and found it not to her liking - too humid and hot. They take their cockroaches seriously there.

But we found that snow doesn't matter so much if you don't have to go anywhere. The first year of RE we had a 2.5 foot snowfall and aside from trips to the curb for mail we didn't go outside for a week. Made a big pot of beef stew and had some movies to watch.

But still, the SIL's place in Murrell's Inlet, SC is looking mighty inviting about now. About a 10-hour drive with stops.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:33 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
After much soul-searching, I've decided not to touch this one.
i will also behave. <snicker giggle horse laugh>
Old 03-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #48

Oh Sure

Bruce
Old 03-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
Oh Sure

Bruce
but..but...but...i thought you were referring to golf clubs when you mentioned an 8 and a 10. weren't you? <full open horse laugh>
Old 03-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #50
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSense View Post
Help! This winter has been so tough here in Minnesota that I am really tempted to do something crazy.
Tell me about it! February up here was pretty rough and I was ready to slit my wrists.

I live in Alaska, btw.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:30 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Snow isn't a problem unless you have to be somewhere"

That is pretty much it. Why I have no problem moving back to the midwest.