Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-07-2008, 09:24 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ats5g View Post
OTOH, my boss grew up in MN and immediately moved to TX after graduation. I don't think he has worn a heavy jacket or gloves since.
Brrr!! Depending on where he moved to in Texas, that might or might not be completely sane. When I lived in College Station, Texas, I had plenty of use for a coat and gloves.

That was especially true my first winter in College Station, when it snowed substantially and I made a snowman for my (then 6 year old) daughter, without the benefit of gloves. I don't recommend it! But she had never seen snow, and REALLY wanted a snowman, badly. The things we do for kids.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2008, 09:26 AM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Here in St. Louis we've had more snow than normal. This was Tuesday, when we had more than 10 inches of snow in less than 8 hours. I'm ready for spring
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cleaning Car 1.jpg (211.5 KB, 5 views)
twincity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twincity View Post
Here in St. Louis we've had more snow than normal. This was Tuesday, when we had more than 10 inches of snow in less than 8 hours. I'm ready for spring
Wow, that's quite some snow. Way more than what we're getting.

How come your handle is twincity and you live in St. Louis? (On second thought, I don't have "GoodSense" either...It's a disguise.)
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:00 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
...get hammered regularly.
'Nuff said...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:29 PM   #25

Ahem.

I lived south of Buffalo for a year and as soon as the thaw came (mid-June), I vamoosed to California. Left skid marks on the way out and haven't looked back since.

May I gently propose that if the winter is getting to you now, it's likely to do so in the future, raising the same threat to FIRE over and over again. This doesn't take into account the heating costs you pay each and every year.

What would it be like to stay home, light a fire, and research some places that you might move to permanently, now or later, as a strategic way out of this? If a full-time move doesn't make sense, maybe you find a shack, trailer, etc. in a southern state and plan on spending time there during your winters once you're retired.

A final alternative...

Quote:
All in all, I probably spent $300 and Frank probably spent $400 or $500 for our little interlude in the snow. Ouch.
...how about a swap with some nice folks down south who like to play in the white stuff? Might be a cheap way to get 'er done.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twincity View Post
Wow, someone from St. Louis! I used to live there...actually in Ballwin.

I still keep in touch with my friends and they tell me about the snow and sleet. I laugh at them, but then they know I have to deal with TX weather. I guess it evens out.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline View Post
Ahem.

I lived south of Buffalo for a year and as soon as the thaw came (mid-June), I vamoosed to California. Left skid marks on the way out and haven't looked back since.

May I gently propose that if the winter is getting to you now, it's likely to do so in the future, raising the same threat to FIRE over and over again. This doesn't take into account the heating costs you pay each and every year.

What would it be like to stay home, light a fire, and research some places that you might move to permanently, now or later, as a strategic way out of this? If a full-time move doesn't make sense, maybe you find a shack, trailer, etc. in a southern state and plan on spending time there during your winters once you're retired.

A final alternative...

...how about a swap with some nice folks down south who like to play in the white stuff? Might be a cheap way to get 'er done.
In fact, relocating has crossed my mind more than once. To be fair, this year has been the coldest winter for the last 12 years. I don't really plan on retiring here, but retirement is a long ways off. I do like the trailer idea and think my job may let me take off 3 weeks each winter. (In fact, I used this privilege too early this year in Dec-Jan. I need to save it for March, when it's the most depressing)

House swapping is a new idea, though. I just need to find willing victims from southern states. I wonder if there are many takers??
Old 03-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sitting here waiting for the next major snow event -- predictions are for anywhere from 5 to 10 inches in the next 18 or so hours...much more if the storm moves a bit north and the winds pick up.

On the positive side, though, I just read that the UV Index here in Michigan is currently 0. That's right: ZERO. Just thinking how much I'm saving on sun screen/block is giving me chills. Oh, wait. Someone just opened the back door to let the dogs in. Never mind.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Same thoughts here. It is 9 below right now. It is hard to see how three days will help though. Any way to get a week off? In a week or so I am headed south for a while and I can't wait.
you realize you Minnesota-ites (?) are starting to make my area look like a tropical paradise. wow!
we need the warm weather folks to send us some solar energy.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:26 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
Just thinking how much I'm saving on sun screen/block is giving me chills. Oh, wait. Someone just opened the back door to let the dogs in. Never mind.

It's all zeros here... 0 UV, 0F, feels like 0F.

I'm kinda glad we haven't committed to buying any property yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
you realize you Minnesota-ites (?) are starting to make my area look like a tropical paradise. wow!
we need the warm weather folks to send us some solar energy.
Minnesotans... or, at this rate, you can just call us popsicles. Glad to help
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:09 PM   #31

I thought New Jersey weather was bad.....I'm not complaining anymore!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:12 AM   #32

OK Enough if this. I've got about 8 inches since 2PM yesterday with another 10 predicted before midnight.
No Fair.

Bruce
Old 03-08-2008, 07:15 AM   #33
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
We had a wonderful time up there and wished we could have stayed longer in "snow country". All in all, I probably spent $300 and Frank probably spent $400 or $500 for our little interlude in the snow. Ouch.

Does that help?

Wow a ten day vacation for $700 ! That is really a inexpensive trip . How did you do it ??
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:19 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
OK Enough if this. I've got about 8 inches since 2PM yesterday with another 10 predicted before midnight.
No Fair.

Bruce
After much soul-searching, I've decided not to touch this one.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:34 AM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
After much soul-searching, I've decided not to touch this one.
Congrats. I've always believed thoughtful restraint was a true measure of manhood.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:45 AM   #36
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Having a blizzard here.

I went out to the bird feeder and the snow depth was an average of 15 inches. The grackles and red-wing blackbirds arrived this week and large numbers are on and around the patio. I've shoveled the patio three times, and the snow keeps drifting over the sunflower seeds. No squirrels today. The cat was outside for 5 minutes and hasn't even gone to the door since.

Snow plow hasn't been here yet; don't think the USPS will make it out today. I'll go out later and shovel out the fire hydrant.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:44 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Having a blizzard here.

I went out to the bird feeder and the snow depth was an average of 15 inches. The grackles and red-wing blackbirds arrived this week and large numbers are on and around the patio. I've shoveled the patio three times, and the snow keeps drifting over the sunflower seeds. No squirrels today. The cat was outside for 5 minutes and hasn't even gone to the door since.

Snow plow hasn't been here yet; don't think the USPS will make it out today. I'll go out later and shovel out the fire hydrant.
Sounds like a wonderful day to be sipping hot chocolate, pet the cat, and enjoy the tranquility. Doesn't the fire hydrant freeze?

Cheers!
Old 03-08-2008, 11:16 AM   #38
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSense View Post
Sounds like a wonderful day to be sipping hot chocolate, pet the cat, and enjoy the tranquility. Doesn't the fire hydrant freeze?

Cheers!
Hydrants are designed not to freeze.

One squirrel has put in an appearance.

Just shoveled off another 3 inches of drifted snow.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:34 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

You folks in middle America sure have been dumped on this year!

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:36 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Wow a ten day vacation for $700 ! That is really a inexpensive trip . How did you do it ??
Oh gosh, my post was misleading, wasn't it. We didn't spend as much time up there as we had planned. We left New Orleans on Friday morning, and got back late Tuesday night because an ice storm was moving in so we zipped down south just ahead of it. We drove clear through on the way back, though we stopped on the way up for a day to attend a hamfest (ham radio enthusiasts swapmeet) and enjoy looking around in Jackson, MS. We spent four nights in a motel (a little less than $350), gas was $200, and meals were around $200. Our entertainment was free - - attending open houses and such. So, between the two of us the entire trip cost around $300 for me, $400-$500 for Frank, just like I said, but we didn't stay for the whole ten days! We were only gone from New Orleans for five days. Gosh, did we have fun, though! It was wonderful to get away and I wish we were up there again right now.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote