Join Early Retirement Today

Re: work from home small business
Old 08-08-2005, 09:17 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"I actually looked into it - in 1993. Luckily I passed up the 'opportunity."

Yes, being a salesman doesnt appeal to me, either. Although, I have been able to get a few in my family to do some things, but no fee income, just satisfaction.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2005, 09:26 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Laurence,

It just dawned on me that the Internet Addiction Test generates a great 'work from home' business opportunity for you. You could create your own "internet addiction recovery" business, offering diagnostic services, counseling, support group therapy and other services. Best of all, you can do all of this online!

How cool is that!? 8)

REW
Isn't that like holding AA meetings at the bar?

I thought of the financial advisor route, still thinking about it, but the lack of results among family/friends has been a little daunting. We are going to find some books on Real Estate and do some numbers, start small.

Old 08-08-2005, 09:48 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
It's only the "top of the market" in spots, just like the dreaded
"bubble" will only burst in spots. There are always deals, which is why I love real estate.
Our neighborhood is small, everybody knows each other b/c of the semiannual get-togethers, most residents have been there 35-50 yrs (houses passed down in family, etc).* The housing market has been rising @25%/y here as the rest of "froth."
One couple finally decided to retire to a retirement community in N.C.* Put out into the grapevine their asking price. A couple (outsiders) began* a contract that fell through. So retired couple listed with an agent that same afternoon. The next day got another contract. House sold for 25% more than the original asking price.* Meanwhile, everybody in the neighborhood is kicking themselves why they didn't buy and flip the house.* A quick remodel would probably have raised the selling price even more.
Agree with JG, there are deals.* You just have to know your market and watch carefully for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
There are an infinite number of business you could start from home.* Some of the home-businesses I know people do first-hand are...

I also know a lady who makes and sells pocketbooks out of used cigar boxes, a couple who host private dinners in their dining room for $400 per couple, a lady that breeds and sells dogs, and a guy who grows vegetable plants in his backyard and sells them to the public.
Know of one lady that spends her summers in Pittsburgh and winters in Palm Beach.* Buys fur coats from the thrift stores in Pittsburgh and turns them in to expensive teddy bears to sell in Palm Beach.

Forgot to add:
you mentioned in another thread that SD home prices seem to have stabilized? May want to follow the forclosure listings in your local paper.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:05 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

A cousin runs her eBay business by selling everyone ELSE's crap on her site and charging a commission. She's pretty much running an auction business on consignment. USPS will bend over backwards to support your mailing expenses (they'll even pick up at your house) so you theoretically would only leave the house to look at other people's stuff. Take a look at Marsha Collier's website or any of her eBay books.

While he's waiting for his R&B career to take off, my brother runs a doggie daycare center. You would be amazed at who would spend big bucks to let their "children" spend the day running with a pack of wild animals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
So real estate gets some play, but while I know not all areas are overblown, my immediate area is.* Anyone have experience owning rental properties at a distance you can't visit every week?* What is a good resource to look into if I'm interested in starting a venture in RE?
If you can't drive by it in 10 minutes then you have to put a lot of faith in paying someone to drive by it for you (and not take advantage of what you don't know).

(1) Investing in Real Estate, 4th edition or later, by Andrew McLean & Gary W. Eldred (who's taken over the new editions) and
(2) Landlording by Leigh Robinson (7th edition or later).

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:43 AM   #25

Laurence, I have a home business idea for you, and I'm semi-serious about it.

You could start up a website called "Ask Jesus." It would be similar to the "Ask Jeeves" program, but instead of referencing all general things on the web it would use the New Testament as a data base. So, if a Christian wants to ask a question such as 'What do I do, my daughter is pregnant?," it would spit out a number of verses related to that particular problem. No spin allowed.

You would make your money selling ads to Christian businesses. You would need some sort of "Ask Jeeves" type program that was programmable and, of course, your primary job after setting it up would be sales.

This one is free to you.

But if you do an "Ask Mohommad" (sp?) with the Koran, I get to tweak it a bit so only non-fanatical behaviors are recommended. Plus, I get 2 cents five cents a hit .

Also, you could use the Old Testament and call it "Ask God." I would definitely want to be actively involved in the creation of that one. We could probably get it done in about six days.

--Greg
Old 08-08-2005, 11:47 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Isn't that like holding AA meetings at the bar?
Exactly! Internet addicts will be Googling to sign up.

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:49 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON
Also, you could use the Old Testament and call it "Ask God." I would definitely want to be actively involved in the creation of that one.

--Greg
Uh Oh. Greg, I think you've taken this Alexander Haig thing just a little too far....

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 12:36 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

When we decided on the home business, we wanted something with low fixed and startup costs and good deductions. It also had to be someting that could be done while we are still holding on to the cube farm jobs. I read several small business tax guides to get an idea for what type of structure to look.

I had listed some conference proceedings books that were only good for propping up my futon from the floor. The stuff sold for more than a $100/piece. So we decided on selling used books online. Buying inventory is time consuming but low cost (just sold a $225 book today that I picked up for $1.50). Our start up expenses were less than $500. Our fixed expenses are less than $100/month (about 3% of revenue). The rest of our expenses are either direct expenses or converted personal to business expenses (second phone, internet, usage of home, utilities, mileage). Everything done according to the IRS rules.

I don't get phone calls during cube hours or at home and I can turn my inventory off when I go on vacation. We package orders after we get home and the post office comes to our house to pick it up. Our neighbor across the street just moved since his online business was getting too big. He started about three years ago. Went from $1000 to $25,000 revenue per month in that time. All he does is buy supplies for midwives wholesale and breaks it up in smaller quantities and sends it out after you order through his website. If you can think of the right thing to sell online, it is an easy thing to do.

Obvious red flags for the IRS are entertainment expenses and the like but we don't do that.

Vicky
Old 08-08-2005, 12:57 PM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

Laurence,

I've been reading about people who blog for money.
I came across www.problogger.net whose owner claimed that he made $14k/mo recently. (it was his ft job)

Also, i read in Kiplinger mag about a guy who's website is about his personal finance.* i think he makes a good chunk of change from that site also.* (www.pfblog.com)

I wanted to start my own blog site, but so far have been too consumed with my property rehab project.* (i wanted to blog about that)

i think it's an interesting concept where you write about things that you already know so much about.. and while you keep your content fresh, it can help you generate money.* someone should start a blog about how to RE!* Another topic that's really popular is Poker.* If someone is a fanatic, this could get a lot of attention.

Good Luck.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:25 PM   #30

My friend's family has run a photography business (while working as a teacher and retired). Another friend's dad runs a taxidermy business out of their basement. Another guy I know does small engine repair out of his garage (lots of mowers around though). A few people have doggie daycares and some do landscaping. Seems like there are lots of things to do and a lot have learned not to do a "regular job".