Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-25-2016, 03:13 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
We have two week assessments where it is cheaper (or breakeven) to stay the weekend than to travel home and back again. So my federal agency will allow you to stay over and will pay per diem, hotel, and rental car. If you then work on the weekend, you can claim comp time but otherwise you are not getting paid and can do what you like so you could go to Disneyworld or whatever. These are usually complex assessments so I generally wrk on my report on Saturday but may take Sunday off. During the weekdays, any sightseeing is done after hours. Just wanted to clarify for all the taxpayers reading this.
That sounds fair. Time away from home and family is an inconvenience at best and stressful at times. You should not be expected to work constantly while away. What you do with your leisure time while away should be your own business.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Would you pay for a work trip?
Old 03-25-2016, 03:39 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Would you pay for a work trip?

It's possible to put in a full day's work while on a business trip and then enjoy dinner at an interesting place (with or without colleagues), go out for a run in new surroundings, maybe even see a show. I remember a delightful bike tour in Munich when I arrived on a Sunday. It depends; I've been in my share of windowless conference rooms in Florida and Bermuda- but overall I've been able to do my work and still enjoy a little of my destination.

Bonus: you can check out a place on the company dine and return in vacation if you like it. DH and I did get back to Munich!

Old 03-25-2016, 03:57 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

There are also some interesting places that you could probably not visit at all, were it not for the fact that it's a business trip. I am thinking of Saudi Arabia, which discourages tourists. It was fun to socialize with Saudi friends, visit museums, eat at excellent restaurants and shop at the souk and the amazing malls, all on my own time, of course.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:20 PM   #44
Administrator

I suppose that on a work trip, that after getting to the meeting/conference at 8 AM each day, working all day, meeting again at 6:30 for a working dinner that lets out around 10, one could have a jolly old time seeing the sights! Well, if one did not have to prepare a PowerPoint for an unexpected presentation to a room full of people the next day. Luckily the latter did not happen every day.

ABQ2015 was right, in that if I had time to kill over a weekend before or after, I could sightsee. Well, often there was a welcome buffet starting around 4 PM on Sunday, and sometimes I was so tired from the flights that I just wanted to rest, but otherwise the weekends were usually free if/when I was at the destination.

You know, I don't miss work travel one bit, I must admit. IMO they are a tremendous waste of manpower and money for interactions that would be just as effective over the internet.

Did I mention that I walked uphill both ways to elementary school, barefoot in the snow? Honestly I thought everybody's work trips were like this.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:12 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I suppose that on a work trip, that after getting to the meeting/conference at 8 AM each day, working all day, meeting again at 6:30 for a working dinner that lets out around 10, one could have a jolly old time seeing the sights!
Honestly I thought everybody's work trips were like this.

What kind of work trips were you on? Most of mine are 7am-4 or 5pm, then free for the night. Occasionally there will be planned events at night, but those are almost always limited to 2 hours and usually take place at a touristy area because the hosts understand we will want to sightsee.

Quote:
IMO they are a tremendous waste of manpower and money for interactions that would be just as effective over the internet.
While there is no doubt this is true in many cases, when dealing with high context cultures in international agreements there is no substitute for drinking some tea face to face. Sometimes the airfare and hotel fee are the most valuable expenses and any training/conferences fees are formalities.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:51 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I just retired after 30+ years with a civil service local government. In the early 90's there were a few professional meetings (conferences) that some of us really wanted to attend, but as our budget had ZERO dollars for travel and professional development, if we wanted to attend, we had to foot the bill. (Some of you will be very happy that your tax dollars weren't spent on developing public employees.) We were given "release time" if we could write a justification that was approved. This just meant that we did not have to use vacation time to go. I did this probably twice for national meetings and several times for local professional organization meetings. This was not training per se, but I got so much out of it to help with the job, methods & techniques, making us more efficient, and making valuable contacts with others in the field. I was never able to take a tax deduction for any of these, but I made a great decision to do it and don't regret it at all. (and I had not lost my mind.) It really depends on the situation and what you get out of it for your career.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:36 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
DW was sent to Orlando for a 5 days convention. I was scheduled to fly to Kuala Lumpur the next week. So I flew from Vancouver to Orlando on Friday and we both left on Sunday.

Her company saved because her fare was over the weekend. My company saved because I flew economy rather than the approved business class.

Also convinced our host in another life to host the conference in Cancun rather than Mexico City since people were coming from all over the world and many could fly to Cancun cheaper. She had already held one conference in DF, so this acted as an incentive to improve attendance.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:20 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I suppose that on a work trip, that after getting to the meeting/conference at 8 AM each day, working all day, meeting again at 6:30 for a working dinner that lets out around 10, one could have a jolly old time seeing the sights! Well, if one did not have to prepare a PowerPoint for an unexpected presentation to a room full of people the next day. Luckily the latter did not happen every day.

ABQ2015 was right, in that if I had time to kill over a weekend before or after, I could sightsee. Well, often there was a welcome buffet starting around 4 PM on Sunday, and sometimes I was so tired from the flights that I just wanted to rest, but otherwise the weekends were usually free if/when I was at the destination.

You know, I don't miss work travel one bit, I must admit. IMO they are a tremendous waste of manpower and money for interactions that would be just as effective over the internet.

Did I mention that I walked uphill both ways to elementary school, barefoot in the snow? Honestly I thought everybody's work trips were like this.
Brrr. hehe. Thanks for the responses folks. My employer did approve attending a local workshop so they passed the test in terms of "are they willing to invest in me."

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote