Join Early Retirement Today

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2007, 02:04 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well, they're all seem so similar that none really stick out for me. I'd probably pick the one that had the biggest and/or most private yard or green space around it. But if I had to choose amongst them, here would be my top three.

This one seems to be brighter on the inside, probably due to the light wood used in the more open kitchen. I don't care for dark interiors.

Atlanta Georgia Real Estate: Metro Brokers/GMAC - Property Details

This one is pretty ugly inside, but the outside looks nice and it looks like it might be nicer lot.

My favorite just going by the pictures would probably be this one. It's cooler looking than the other boring brick ones on the outside and the inside feels really spacious and open. Probably just remodel the bathroom and you'd be good to go.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:34 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The one that you like best... that you can afford... that has the best value... with the shortest commute (unless you plan to live there forever then take this out)...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:32 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm thinking that I want to move to GA. Any of those houses around here would sell for $700k+

Winnow it down to three. Kick out any with oddities or troublesome options...for example, hardwood floors in a kitchen can be a pain in the butt. Any that represent a nice bonus like 10-20k asking price below comparables. Knock on a few doors and meet some of the neighbors. Look for one with good lot drainage where nothing slopes towards the house and ideally the house is on the high point of the lot. If you can get it down to one or two preferred, see if you can get a handyman or home inspector to do a "quick" inspection on the place just to view the construction quality and overall condition, maybe for a hundred or two. See if any of them were bought within the last 2 years and are being resold for no apparently good reason...could indicate a trouble spot.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:37 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

These houses all look like they are maybe 2500+ square feet which would be WAY too big for me, but then I live alone. Right now I live in a 1558 square foot home and don't even use two of the rooms in it. I would love a home like one of these, but half the size.

If you are 50 or over, I would recommend one without stairs or at least with a bedroom and bath on the first floor. Even if you are fit and athletic now, in later years stairs might become difficult.

Given all this, these homes do look nice! They are all pretty and have lots of amenities. I like the third one because it seems to have less upstairs. It's hard to tell, though. My second choice would be Trek's favorite, but it is on a small lot - - less than 1/3 acre, whereas the other one is on 1/2-3/4 acre. I prefer a lot that is 100'-200' wide in order to be farther from my neighbors (though I don't really care about depth or a large back yard as long as there is some space between me and the neighbor in back, as well).

Whether or not these are in planned communities with homeowners' associations/fees and such is not clear, but it might be worth thinking about your opinions on these and finding out if the homes meet your needs in those respects as well.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Have you checked potential commute at typical hours?
Old 12-31-2007, 10:07 AM   #6

Have you checked potential commute at typical hours?

I-20 from Conyers or Covington into town sucks a** after 8:15 am and out of town after 5pm.
Where do you work if these locations are convenient for you?
For example Emory->Conyers commute for one of my friends is usually over an hour and sometimes as bad as 1.5hrs (She works 8-4:30 I think).
My flying buddy, who works at VA hospital (Decatur) and lives in Whispering Pines (Conyers) says his commute is about an hour, but his hours are weird (trauma nurse).

I live and work in Duluth (6 miles bicycle commute).
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:14 AM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
These houses all look like they are maybe 2500+ square feet which would be WAY too big for me, but then I live alone. Right now I live in a 1558 square foot home and don't even use two of the rooms in it. I would love a home like one of these, but half the size.

If you are 50 or over, I would recommend one without stairs or at least with a bedroom and bath on the first floor. Even if you are fit and athletic now, in later years stairs might become difficult.

Given all this, these homes do look nice! They are all pretty and have lots of amenities. I like the third one because it seems to have less upstairs. It's hard to tell, though. My second choice would be Trek's favorite, but it is on a small lot - - less than 1/3 acre, whereas the other one is on 1/2-3/4 acre. I prefer a lot that is 100'-200' wide in order to be farther from my neighbors (though I don't really care about depth or a large back yard as long as there is some space between me and the neighbor in back, as well).

Whether or not these are in planned communities with homeowners' associations/fees and such is not clear, but it might be worth thinking about your opinions on these and finding out if the homes meet your needs in those respects as well.
Thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond.
Mary_From_Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:18 AM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
I-20 from Conyers or Covington into town sucks a** after 8:15 am and out of town after 5pm.
Where do you work if these locations are convenient for you?
For example Emory->Conyers commute for one of my friends is usually over an hour and sometimes as bad as 1.5hrs (She works 8-4:30 I think).
My flying buddy, who works at VA hospital (Decatur) and lives in Whispering Pines (Conyers) says his commute is about an hour, but his hours are weird (trauma nurse).

I live and work in Duluth (6 miles bicycle commute).
I work in Covington, so I'm going against the traffic. Although it is growing very fast there.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:19 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

From the pictures I like 1, 7, 8 or maybe 9. However, it seems like 1 has a lot of deep paint colors. That might be quite different to see in person. Why don't any of them have nice decks or patios? I don't like the 2 story deck business.
A854321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:58 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I like 3, 7 and Trek's favorite.
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:13 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

They are all gorgeous .I'm shocked with what you can get for your money there .I would pick one with a community pool .It makes it easier to meet people .Good Luck !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:23 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
They are all gorgeous .I'm shocked with what you can get for your money there .I would pick one with a community pool .It makes it easier to meet people .Good Luck !
Good point~
Old 12-31-2007, 12:55 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

WOW! can i please have your problem? They all look nice - i think it's up to you to see which one speaks to you...any of them make you feel better than the others?

I used to have a bigger place, but now enjoy a 1700 sq foot 4 brm house for my family of 5 - it's the perfect size - a good backyard...I don't like extra space...more to clean or fill up w/ crap. Smaller space makes you prioritize what you "really need/want" and i don't know what the weather is like out there - but all those perty vaulted ceilings etc. will increase your energy costs...my mom's house 2 story w/ vaulted is triple the cost to heat/cool vs. my one story.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:09 PM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
WOW! can i please have your problem? They all look nice - i think it's up to you to see which one speaks to you...any of them make you feel better than the others?

I used to have a bigger place, but now enjoy a 1700 sq foot 4 brm house for my family of 5 - it's the perfect size - a good backyard...I don't like extra space...more to clean or fill up w/ crap. Smaller space makes you prioritize what you "really need/want" and i don't know what the weather is like out there - but all those perty vaulted ceilings etc. will increase your energy costs...my mom's house 2 story w/ vaulted is triple the cost to heat/cool vs. my one story.

Good point ! I have vaulted celings and I love How it looks but it costs a lot to cool .Plus the cost of window coverings is huge . Plus have you ever dangled from a really high ladder trying to clean windows or ceiling fans ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:23 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I, too, had negative sticker shock at seeing the prices of those places. Man! Us North-Easterners and West-Coasters need to move...
Olav23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:28 PM   #16

They all look nice.

I live in Gwinnett County and think there's more amenities there, such as in Grayson, than Covington or Conyers, but that may just be my bias....
Old 12-31-2007, 02:08 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All I know is.....seems like everytime I drive past Conyers on I-20 I get a speeding ticket! All houses look good to me, tough choices for sure. I agree with the biggest/most private yard. I'm a big yard kind of guy although that might change as I get older and don't feel like mowing anymore. I also agree with the advice about sticking with a single-story home. 2 stories look really nice, I've lived in several, but the stairs get old.
Best of luck.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:04 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I'm thinking that I want to move to GA. Any of those houses around here would sell for $700k+
Ditto. I liked all of them. Since I can't actually visit them, I'd recommend that you consider whether you like to entertain and how you feel in the houses themselves. Feel blessed because what you get for that much here is - Property Finder - CLEO DORSEY.

For me, $300K is affordable, but when you get what I put in the above link, why bother? Not a bad house, but not worth $300K
starter82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olav23 View Post
I, too, had negative sticker shock at seeing the prices of those places. Man! Us North-Easterners and West-Coasters need to move...

Really! In the panhandle of West Virginia - not noted as a high-dollar state - those houses are $500K-$600K. Get down closer to Washington, DC and they're four million plus.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:10 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Really! In the panhandle of West Virginia - not noted as a high-dollar state - those houses are $500K-$600K. Get down closer to Washington, DC and they're four million plus.
And my agency wonders why I wouldn't move to the D.C. area for one GS grade! I wouldn't live there for all the tea in China.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote