You know you're committed to early retirement when...

I never had a defining moment regarding early retirement. I've just never wanted to work until I got too old to enjoy life.

However surviving a departmental downsizing, failed business (book store), and international travel, I now try to save more.

I never had a defining moment regarding early retirement. I've just never wanted to work until I got too old to enjoy life.

This says it all for me. Saw my dad die of a heart attack at 39 and I wanted to do whatever I could to live past that year and to get out of the rat race ASAP. Well at 58 I know I have done one and in 19 days I will have done the other. Oh yah, LBYM and investing for 25 years didn't hurt either. :cool:

But as someone once said "you are preaching to the choir" around here. :LOL:

Oh, did I mention only 19 w*rking days to go? :facepalm:

T-bird

I had a few, distinct, defining moments.

Mom and Dad's estate helped settle some outstanding bills my brother had. .

Why did you have to settle his bills? I thought once he died, his debt is extinguished. The creditors have no recourse to your assets.

Why did you have to settle his bills? I thought once he died, his debt is extinguished. The creditors have no recourse to your assets.

I believe that the creditors have to the estate. If there is anything owed I believe it comes from the estate first. Of course I could be wrong.

In addition to #22 it was also what I learned when my dad lost his job in the 1980s.
My parents got by financially but he had so much of his self worth tied to his job and professional expertise that he could not enjoy such (E)R till he passed away 20 years later.
I made a note to myself: be prepared.

The day I started 1st grade. Having to wake up early, or at all and be where someone else says you have to be, when they say to be there? Jump when somebody else blows the whistle? "Produce this!" "Produce that!" Usually for no logical reason or useful purpose and always followed with an unstated "Or else!" I said, Man, this sht's gotta stop, ASAP"

Did you have a defining moment when you KNEW that you would retire as soon as possible?

Yes. When the knuckle-dragging gorilla from HR walked me to the door, faced me towards my car and booted my sorry ass across the parking lot, I kinda figured it was time to ER. That was June, 2006. Comfortably FI, I've been enjoying ER ever since! :)

Today I had a truly horrendous day at work. On the way home I stopped at the store to pick up stuff for dinner and thought...hmmm I think I'll buy some flowers to cheer myself up.

Then my FIRE voice kicked in and said, "what a waste of money!".

So instead I came home and bought $5,000 worth of Vanguard Small Cap Index Fund.

Help me understand this. You were going to buy some flowers to cheer yourself up. You decided to use the money to buy Vanguard Small Cap Index Fund instead, to the tune of $5k. You were going to spend $5k on flowers? Even at today's prices, that's a lot of flowers!

How happy do you like to get?

Help me understand this. You were going to buy some flowers to cheer yourself up. You decided to use the money to buy Vanguard Small Cap Index Fund instead, to the tune of $5k. You were going to spend $5k on flowers? Even at today's prices, that's a lot of flowers!

How happy do you like to get?

I was actually only going to spend $20 on the flowers. I'd been procrastinating on investing some extra cash that had built up, the bad day at work spurred me to get it done.

I was actually only going to spend $20 on the flowers. I'd been procrastinating on investing some extra cash that had built up, the bad day at work spurred me to get it done.

I like the way you think. That is the main reason I hang out here -- for the reminders of what is really most important to me. Thanks!

Not one defining moment but a combination of things:
- Megacorp started laying off large amounts of people in the U.S. and moving job overseas I started thinking about ER primarily because the prospects of working as long as I wanted were becoming slim and none.
- Seeing so many folks being laid off due to "needs of the business" versus their performance when they were so close to be eligible for retirement. For example, a close friend received a $10K award for a major revenue project and 6 months later his entire unit was laid off, him just 3 months from being eligible for full retirement..
- Though we had long been disciplined with spending and investing, starting to read up on retirement expenses, doing financial analysis and having our financial status reviewed from several sources, and realizing that early retirement was possible.
- Seeing several friends achieve high levels in Megacorp but die before or just after retiring due to health... and seeing others who had retired early with fewer assets than us staying active and enjoying life. My DW commenting to me after one funeral "you've worked so much to provide for me and our kids. I don't want you to die before you have some time to relax and do whatever you want to do"."

Yes! Spring 2011. Megacorp not only stopped loving me, but actually said they didn't even like me anymore after 29 y 4 months of (mostly) hard work. Despite meeting or exceeding all of my goals the prior year I got a poor evaluation that triggered a 50% reduction in bonus compensation and a tiny fraction of the (low) average base pay increase. That coupled with nudges in the rear to take a demotion to an incredibly boring job lit the fire (pun intended) under my butt. 6 months later I FIRE'd. It has been great.

No defining moment for me. My mentality has always been about delayed gratification. Big saver, and very conservative with money.

+1.

Sometimes I think at least part of this could be instinct. One Christmas my 5yr old niece said she was returning a beloved gift she received. Why we asked. With a condescending "stupid Aunt & Uncle" look on her face she told us she could get a better price on it at after-Christmas sales AND could apply a coupon. Then she would have her gift AND extra $$. She grew up to become a CPA :D

Last edited:
Not one defining moment but a combination of things:
- Megacorp started laying off large amounts of people in the U.S. and moving job overseas I started thinking about ER primarily because the prospects of working as long as I wanted were becoming slim and none.
."

Megacorp not only stopped loving me, but actually said they didn't even like me anymore after 29 y 4 months of (mostly) hard work.

Why don't you call out these "Megacorps". Names would be nice, or are you trying to protect the "innocent".

Not a single specific time; more like an exponential curve that just recently went off the chart.

We've always saved first and spent second but, about 20 yrs ago I started meticulously tracking our savings and portfolio; frankly, a little later in life than optimum. Then, in 2006, plotted what our NW needed to be each year for us to be FI by the end of 2012; 2008 was a big step back but, we caught up by slamming a lot of $$$ into our after tax account to make up for the lower returns. And today...we're there!

However, the accelerator was taking a new job two years ago; absolutely hate it. Then a death in the family. So, the combination of the job, being FI, feeling my mortality, and just being tired of working has done it for me. As the saying goes, my FI & BS buckets are now full...time to go.

via McTube for iPhone/iPad.

For me, 20 some years ago...I went through my first reorganization. I can feel the moments of desperation and anxiety even to this day. That was my defining moment. I decided that if I ever got through that predicament I would start saving more as a buffer from being on the streets and having to start over again. That feeling is what keeps me going. I realized I wanted to have more control of my life in spite of my job. I stumbled across this site several years later, and it gave me the reinforcement I needed about my attitude about working vs retirement/freedom. (I thought I was mostly alone). I think of myself as the turtle...in the race against the rabbit. I have just been chugging along and saving...with all the ups and downs going on around me. In 10 months I will never have to work again for money. Incidently, my wife is a better saver than me, which helps make it all work out!

Last edited:
Tripping over the Threshold

In 2005, just before I turned 50, I started getting more into our investments, looking at our prospective pensions, our various IRA and 401/457/403 holdings, SS projections, and prospective retiree HI. I also started reading a bunch of investment books. I found Daniel Solin's books pretty simple and easy to understand.

Based on what I was seeing at the time and on what our projected earnings and savings would be, I thought that we would be able to retire in 2011. DH had no interest in retiring at all, and he was not entirely on board with what I was doing, but I was a woman on a mission and planned and behaved accordingly.

Thank goodness for that.

Less than 3 years later, in 2008, DH lost his j*b of over 29 years. He was PIP'd, demoted, and then RIF'd. It was a 4 month process, and it was horrible.

After 4 months off, he got a new j*b in his field, and 3 weeks later I lost MY j*b with a bank. No, 2008 was not a great year for many folks.

Then in mid-2009, DH lost the new j*b. Management changes. :facepalm:

He came home that day, and we looked at each other and said, "WTH?"

For 4 years we have looked for w*rk in our fields, out of our fields, all but out IN the fields. We were a bit disoriented. We were those discouraged w*rkers but kept looking through last year.

All the while, I kept running Schwab's calculators, doing my spreadsheets, showing projected cash flow and how what I'd planned met with what we were actually doing. It has all been pretty rudimentary, but it works for us.

Last year, I found this site and learned even more. All of you have educated me immeasurably.

I would say the threshold for us was this year, 2013, when we finally felt we had enough data behind us to say, "No, we don't need no stinkin' j*bs" and "Yes, we are retired."

That feels great. :dance:

In 2005, just before I turned 50, I started getting more into our investments, looking at our prospective pensions, our various IRA and 401/457/403 holdings, SS projections, and prospective retiree HI. I also started reading a bunch of investment books. I found Daniel Solin's books pretty simple and easy to understand.

Based on what I was seeing at the time and on what our projected earnings and savings would be, I thought that we would be able to retire in 2011. DH had no interest in retiring at all, and he was not entirely on board with what I was doing, but I was a woman on a mission and planned and behaved accordingly.

Thank goodness for that.

Less than 3 years later, in 2008, DH lost his j*b of over 29 years. He was PIP'd, demoted, and then RIF'd. It was a 4 month process, and it was horrible.

After 4 months off, he got a new j*b in his field, and 3 weeks later I lost MY j*b with a bank. No, 2008 was not a great year for many folks.

Then in mid-2009, DH lost the new j*b. Management changes. :facepalm:

He came home that day, and we looked at each other and said, "WTH?"

For 4 years we have looked for w*rk in our fields, out of our fields, all but out IN the fields. We were a bit disoriented. We were those discouraged w*rkers but kept looking through last year.

All the while, I kept running Schwab's calculators, doing my spreadsheets, showing projected cash flow and how what I'd planned met with what we were actually doing. It has all been pretty rudimentary, but it works for us.

Last year, I found this site and learned even more. All of you have educated me immeasurably.

I would say the threshold for us was this year, 2013, when we finally felt we had enough data behind us to say, "No, we don't need no stinkin' j*bs" and "Yes, we are retired."

That feels great. :dance:

+1 Accidental retiree! I am single but have had basically the same experience. Looking for a job after losing mine through reorganization at age 56 in 2010. Waking up and taking a look at my retirement savings in a whole new light. Reading books on early retirement and realizing, slowly over two years, that I wouldn't have to work for MegaCorp again if I changed my lifestyle.
I think my threshold year would have been early 2012. I sold my condo in San Francisco and started renting in the east bay. I realized that I was looking for a job basically just to cover the mortgage. If I was willing to give up the condo (or any other place), I was free from having to work. Not that I was very successful in finding a new job. Or that I ever wanted to work in corporate America again anyway.
So it was a fairly slow, enlightening process for me: "Can I really retire??" The answer was yes! :D

Another time happened: I was part of interviewing someone twenty years my senior, where they would be taking a job for half of what they previously made three years ago. I never want to be on the other side of that table

Why don't you call out these "Megacorps". Names would be nice, or are you trying to protect the "innocent".

It was the custom and practice when I got here to call them Megacorps. Trying to protect poor little innocent me from some imaginary calamity, I suppose. It does not matter who we used to work for anyway.:flowers:

+1.

Sometimes I think at least part of this could be instinct. One Christmas my 5yr old niece said she was returning a beloved gift she received. Why we asked. With a condescending "stupid Aunt & Uncle" look on her face she told us she could get a better price on it at after-Christmas sales AND could apply a coupon. Then she would have her gift AND extra $$. She grew up to become a CPA :D

They start so young these days. Never would have figured she would become a CPA. :cool:

T-bird
14 days and counting

Back
Top Bottom