Join Early Retirement Today

Young and more than dreaming
Old 12-15-2005, 11:59 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Young and more than dreaming

I got this link off TMF. Its not exactly an ER story, but I thought it was kind of neat. Makes me almost wish I had spent the last couple of years going on a grand adventure instead of doing grad school and setting up the surburban 1950s replica family. Oh well, choices made, but its still fun to read and dream.

http://underagedrvers.blogspot.com/

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Young and more than dreaming
Old 12-15-2005, 04:28 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I've read some of the entries, and I'm really jealous. It's also kind of eye-opening. Their goal is to take a year off, spending $40/day. (They did by an expensive camper to do it.) I could do that. Lately I've been considering working somewhere else, where I presumably couldn't do my 80% work week deal. It's making me think that I could work 4 years out of 5 (switching jobs as necessary), though.

Tim
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:33 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

http://www.motherearthnews.com/libra...ths_Every_Year
Old 12-15-2005, 05:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuisance
I've read some of the entries, and I'm really jealous. It's also kind of eye-opening. Their goal is to take a year off, spending $40/day. (They did by an expensive camper to do it.) I could do that. Lately I've been considering working somewhere else, where I presumably couldn't do my 80% work week deal. It's making me think that I could work 4 years out of 5 (switching jobs as necessary), though.

Tim
Life is not a dress rehearsal. You only get each day one time. That's it.
Don't waste a minute. Just go for it. What is the worst that can happen?
You'll be dead in the end anyway. Most people worry too much IMHO.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 05:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Life is not a dress rehearsal. You only get each day one time. That's it.
Don't waste a minute. Just go for it. What is the worst that can happen?
You'll be dead in the end anyway. Most people worry too much IMHO.

JG
Yes, we don't have a good grasp of what the real risks are. In the end we are all dead. What will your status matter then? All the wealth we really have is the minutes of our life. FIRE!
Old 12-15-2005, 05:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhodaThunkit
Too bad that Winston Churchill and Jonas Salk didn't discover this wisdom before wasting their lives the way that they did
Don't really understand your post. Don't think you understood mine! I am saying that you should live your life and not seek shallow status symbols. Obviously living your life for the greater good is not a waste of life. Buying big houses and cars and enslaving yourself to pay for them is. Having the freedom to spend your time as your wish seem to me to be an inherent right. Or should be. What would Winston Churchill and Jonas Salk's contributions amount to if they were subject to following the dictates of others for profit? Freedom is the point,
Old 12-15-2005, 06:59 PM   #7

Let me guess.* These guys are going to come out of the wilderness and do a movie called Brokeback Mountain or something, make a few million and ER.*
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Hi, Lazarus. I really like your screen name. I wanted it myself, but you got there first.

To me, perhaps incorrectly, FIRE suggests giving up all responsibility so that you can play. Second childhood sorta thing. Like maybe devoting your life to waterskiing, or the like. Not necessarily a good idea, in my opinion. Status symbols are a different dimension of the discussion, I guess.
That is what it is for some. You only have one life. Making widgets for the man or, trying to impress people with your stuff is not what I am about. Lazuris the screenname is about being awakened from the dead as in the Bible and a nod to RAH the science fiction author. Lazuris in Heinliens stories is imortal. Being imortal effects the meaning of life. Have a nice read.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:04 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuisance
I've read some of the entries, and I'm really jealous. It's also kind of eye-opening. Their goal is to take a year off, spending $40/day. (They did by an expensive camper to do it.) I could do that.
I'm jealous too. Last year we went to Thailand and met a couple who were on a one year sabbatical from their tech jobs at IBM. They were about our age - early 30's and having a blast. Unfortunately a year off is not in the cards for us until we ER in 12-15 years.

OTOH, we have it better than most. DH and I are currently travelling in India for a month (will post full report when I get back), and spent about a month in Spain earlier this year. Won't get this much time off in 2006 - DH is heading out for another deployment, so we're making the most of it while we can. We're still on track with our ER plans but not putting off everything until retirement. So far its worked out pretty well and I appreciate all of those on this board like JG and Cut-Throat who've talked about balancing the need to save with the need to live a little today.
FlowGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 11:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Too bad that Winston Churchill and Jonas Salk didn't discover this wisdom before wasting their lives the way that they did*
Hey, WhodaThunkit. You have a lot of nerve bringing up sticky issues like this to a bunch-a-lazy early retirees. I think this is a legitimate point. But I do have to ask myself, "Realistically, what are the chances that continuing to work with my electrical engineering and management background, I would produce something of great value to mankind?" I was pretty good at what I did, but I was certainly not in the same league as Salk or Einstein or Darwin or . . . I think my life is more likely to have an impact on a personal level than through some discovery or accomplishment that affects the world.

On the personal level, a lot of people who worked with me might have wished I had stuck around, but a lot of friends and family are probably glad I got out. And I really am happy I got out.

I guess you could look at your life at a level in between the two. I probably did some good for a couple of corporations (and indirectly, their stockholders). But it would seem really shallow to me to actually weigh that impact more than the personal impact.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:20 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
Hey, WhodaThunkit.* You have a lot of nerve bringing up sticky issues like this to a bunch-a-lazy early retirees.* ** * I think this is a legitimate point.* But I do have to ask myself, "Realistically, what are the chances that continuing to work with my electrical engineering and management background, I would produce something of great value to mankind?"* I was pretty good at what I did, but I was certainly not in the same league as Salk or Einstein or Darwin or . . .* I think my life is more likely to have an impact on a personal level than through some discovery or accomplishment that affects the world.

On the personal level, a lot of people who worked with me might have wished I had stuck around, but a lot of friends and family are probably glad I got out.* And I really am happy I got out.*

I guess you could look at your life at a level in between the two.* I probably did some good for a couple of corporations (and indirectly, their stockholders).* But it would seem really shallow to me to actually weigh that impact more than the personal impact.* *
I think SG is right on here. I like to think I am a smart guy who adds a lot of value to what I do, but realistically, managing money for a bunch of rich people isn't improving the world in any meaningful way. My work is stimulating, but it is also demanding and keeps me away from my family and things I would much rather be doing. At the moment, I don't have much choice but to continue. Eventually I will need more than a one week vacation, though.

I am looking forward to reading ESRBob's book over the holidays. I am increasingly thinking about a sabbatical or semi-retirement, both of which are a lot more financially attainable than true ER. I used to just plan to take an extended bit of time off during a bout of unemployment, but I seem to be frustratingly in demand. Since a chunk of time off will be a necessity at some point, I am starting to think about how to make it a reality.

- George Orwell

Old 12-16-2005, 11:19 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
Hey, WhodaThunkit. You have a lot of nerve bringing up sticky issues like this to a bunch-a-lazy early retirees. I think this is a legitimate point. But I do have to ask myself, "Realistically, what are the chances that continuing to work with my electrical engineering and management background, I would produce something of great value to mankind?" I was pretty good at what I did, but I was certainly not in the same league as Salk or Einstein or Darwin or . . . I think my life is more likely to have an impact on a personal level than through some discovery or accomplishment that affects the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I think SG is right on here.* I like to think I am a smart guy who adds a lot of value to what I do, but realistically, managing money for a bunch of rich people isn't improving the world in any meaningful way.
Geez, guys, great humility, but stop selling yourselves short!

Churchill & Salk both stumbled into critical points in history while they were pursuing their avocations. They had already "failed" several times in their careers but they would've worked for free. Later in life they had the FI to continue doing whatever they wanted-- for as long as they wanted-- without being subject to financial pressures guiding their actions.

Einstein was a definite slacker. He frequently skipped university classes and wasted all his time in the lab with no coherent direction or results. His spouse was largely responsible for keeping him from being thrown off the property and later for helping him write up his research. (There's a reason that her divorce settlement included a sum of money equal to his Nobel prize.) He coasted for the rest of his life off her his reputation and the drive of his business partner & buddy Leo Szilard.

I believe people like that were also hard-wired to be unable to behave in any other way. Luckily they were paid to do the things they'd do anyway, or they'd starve. I'd have to know more about their lives & parenting records but the odds are against them being all-star spouses & loving parents. (I could be wrong but I'm definitely ignorant.) Even Warren Buffett basically sucked at the family/parenting tasks, although more from lack of attention than from overcontrol or inability.

I think my primary purpose in life is to be a good spouse/parent. Everything after that is gravy. But as far as other life goals go, Cervantes didn't get going until he was in his 50s and Grandma Moses didn't really hit her stride until she was in her 80s. Some might even claim someday that guys like Dory & ESRBob are just beginning to rack up an ER record, too. It ain't over until they're done with your probate.

So I'm going to keep on failing in ER and see if history runs over me, too...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 12:53 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Great link, brewer!! I haven't been through much of it yet, but I found this quote about re-entering a 'normal' lifestyle amusing.

Quote:
What amuses me about this is that we lived a hedonistic, adventurous, dream lifestyle for an entire year, total cost approximately $20,000. In order to live in Aspen, drive a car and buy a one-bedroom condo the cost is approximately $30,000 a year, and that is just for the car and condo, add food, clothing, commuting etc. and we could travel for at least another two years!!! The American Dream is EXPENSIVE!
Old 12-17-2005, 01:19 PM   #14

I spent 6 months camping my way across the country at age 22 (cost was $500--for 2!). I was contemplating the universe in the Grand Tetons when a great shout went up from the campground--George McGovern had been chosen as the Democratic nominee for President as I pan-fried some fresh trout. The next day I took a rock climbing lesson wherein I reveled in the incredible view but made a mistake and slammed my elbow into the rock face--but I sure loved getting belayed down the cliff wall after I finished the climb--whee! Anyhow, I have a great little scar on my elbow to remember this by--my barely visible little badge of courage. And I learned how to drink beer and tasted my first Mexican food. Ah, youth!
Old 12-17-2005, 08:17 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Stacie was a wonderful hostess and gave us a bike tour of her town, complete with our first visit to a bar in over a month.
I've heard of roughing it before, but this is REDICULOUS!
Old 12-19-2005, 11:05 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

So my wife and I are seriously considering doing something like this. My only concern is the $50k ($30k for a vehicle, and $20k to live off for the year) it's going to cost. Given that we're in the accumulation phase that's going to have a large impact on our retirement date (savings of $70k so far). I'm not sure how to balance all this out yet. We could try for a cheaper vehicle, which would pretty much have to be a pop-up you tow behind your car. It wouldn't happen until the summer of '07, but it would mean we need to start reducing 401k contributions now to pay for it. I'm curious what the board recommends.

Tim
Old 12-20-2005, 06:10 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I've seen what appear to be usable RVs for closer to $20k (take a look at Cruise America's website; they sell ex-rentals), so that might cut down on your up-front outlay. I would also suggest that you could probably expect to sell the RV at the end of your trip. Even if you take a 50% hit, it greatly decreases the ultimate impact to your portfolio. Beyond that, maybe a second job or some seasonal work with the earnings dedicated to your trip? If you look at the earliest logs at www.tendervittles.net the couple there actually sold everything and became a truckdriving team for 6 months to get up the scratch for their trip. Be creative.

- George Orwell

Old 12-20-2005, 09:13 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Cruise America's used stuff looks interesting. I think I'm leaning towards a truck camper instead of a class C, but we'll see. Plenty of time to decide that for sure.
I think what we're going to do to be creative is put it off one year. We could probably work extra and cut back on expenses, but that's not too much fun. That gives us 30 months to save up the money, which we can do without reducing our 401k contribution. Additional bonus is that in 2.5 years my wife will qualify for calstrs benefits, which makes it easier to settle down somewhere outside of CA at the end of the trip.
Thanks for pointing me to that site. It's going to be fun. :-) (As an added bonus it gives me something to really look forward to, which I didn't have last week. I really need to plan something cool for next year as well.)

Tim
Old 12-27-2005, 10:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
Let me guess. These guys are going to come out of the wilderness and do a movie called Brokeback Mountain or something, make a few million and ER.
Wow, that's some wild sex. I usually pull a toe muscle or two, but I have never broken my back "doing the deed." Maybe I just didn't try hard enough.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 03:38 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsOfVeal
Wow, that's some wild sex. I usually pull a toe muscle or two, but I have never broken my back "doing the deed." Maybe I just didn't try hard enough.
I think the original title was bareback mount'n but the censors made them change it.