Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
simple girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,505
Congratulations!!! So very exciting to have a concrete date. Can't wait until we are in the same position.
__________________

__________________
simple girl
less stuff, more time

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
dessert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern Louisiana
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Congratulations!!! So very exciting to have a concrete date. Can't wait until we are in the same position.
For the longest of times, we talk about RE and visualize it happening maybe next year or the year after that if this happens or that works out etc. When you actually sit down with your spouse and nail down that date, and you both agree that it's the perfect time, it is exciting.
Now you have something that is real and something to really look forward to. I am excited about it.
__________________

__________________
Officially retired........Class of 2011
dessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Milton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,077
Good work.

How did you choose February 2, 2011 as the big day?
__________________
"To know what you prefer, instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive". Robert Louis Stevenson, An Inland Voyage (1878)
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:31 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.
dessert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern Louisiana
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Good work.

How did you choose February 2, 2011 as the big day?
That's an easy one Milton.....
1. I can only retire on the "last day of the month", hence January 31st.
2. I must work "one day" into the next year to qualify for 6 weeks of vacation that I can either "take" or "sell back".
That equates to "staying employed through January".
Good question though......
__________________
Officially retired........Class of 2011
dessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
freebird5825's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Nowhere, 43N Latitude, NY
Posts: 9,017
Congratulations!

I especially liked the parts of your post where you are looking at "the last..." of what have always been huge stressors in anyone's career. The whole performance metric culture and internal competition for raises, bonuses, and peer recognition have got to be the WORST factor against and direct cause of what is sadly lacking...good old fashioned teamw*rk.

End of speech...
__________________
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.
dessert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern Louisiana
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Congratulations!

I especially liked the parts of your post where you are looking at "the last..." of what have always been huge stressors in anyone's career. The whole performance metric culture and internal competition for raises, bonuses, and peer recognition have got to be the WORST factor against and direct cause of what is sadly lacking...good old fashioned teamw*rk.

End of speech...
Just today I finalized my goals for the year and posted them for the last time. I also hit the "complete" button on the last performance appraisal that I had to finish.
I was thinking to myself......that was fun!
__________________
Officially retired........Class of 2011
dessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Milton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by dessert View Post
I must work "one day" into the next year to qualify for 6 weeks of vacation that I can either "take" or "sell back".
Wow, what a sweet deal! Lucky you.
__________________
"To know what you prefer, instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive". Robert Louis Stevenson, An Inland Voyage (1878)
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,867
I did not select my eventual ER date until 4 months before I left my company. I needed the last piece of my ER puzzle to fall into place before I selected it. That was the value of my company's ESOP hitting a milestone ($300k), the amount I felt I needed to make my financial plan work.

Besides filling out all the paperwork for my resignation, one little thing which made my ER seem more real was not having to respond to the monthly request for planned days off (i.e. my sometimes confusing and variable 2-days-a-week schedule) for November, 2008. I simply responded, "I will be taking EVERY day off in November!" [It was already known by then that I was leaving.] My exit interview was also very cathartic, but not what the HR guy expected from someone who had been there for 23 years.

Turning in my key FOB I used to access some office emails from home was nice. Same for gathering my personal effects and turning in my ID card at the security desk. That last train ride home was tiring, but knowing it would be my last was great.

I do wish I had found this message board before I retired in November, 2008, at age 45. It would have been nice to have a whole bunch of people rooting for me in those months leading up to my eventual ER.

I am very happy for you, Dessert.
__________________
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:17 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.
dessert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern Louisiana
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I did not select my eventual ER date until 4 months before I left my company. I needed the last piece of my ER puzzle to fall into place before I selected it. That was the value of my company's ESOP hitting a milestone ($300k), the amount I felt I needed to make my financial plan work.

Besides filling out all the paperwork for my resignation, one little thing which made my ER seem more real was not having to respond to the monthly request for planned days off (i.e. my sometimes confusing and variable 2-days-a-week schedule) for November, 2008. I simply responded, "I will be taking EVERY day off in November!" [It was already known by then that I was leaving.] My exit interview was also very cathartic, but not what the HR guy expected from someone who had been there for 23 years.

Turning in my key FOB I used to access some office emails from home was nice. Same for gathering my personal effects and turning in my ID card at the security desk. That last train ride home was tiring, but knowing it would be my last was great.

I do wish I had found this message board before I retired in November, 2008, at age 45. It would have been nice to have a whole bunch of people rooting for me in those months leading up to my eventual ER.

I am very happy for you, Dessert.
Hey, thanks. It is nice knowing well in advance.
I'm very impressed with anyone who can RE at the age of 45. That is amazing to me. I could have retired at age 55 but didn't want to because I still felt like w**king and just thought that was too early to hang it up.
When I was 45, retiring was the last thing on my mind.
So at 47 and retired, what is your typical day like if you don't mind me asking?
__________________
Officially retired........Class of 2011
dessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:08 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by dessert View Post
Hey, thanks. It is nice knowing well in advance.
I'm very impressed with anyone who can RE at the age of 45. That is amazing to me. I could have retired at age 55 but didn't want to because I still felt like w**king and just thought that was too early to hang it up.
When I was 45, retiring was the last thing on my mind.
So at 47 and retired, what is your typical day like if you don't mind me asking?
Still two months away from 47......I have my school Scrabble volunteer work some days (see my screen name?), some other volunteer work during the day, dancing at night, my ladyfriend (who works full-time) on other evenings and weekends, another good friend on some evenings, and a good nap every afternoon! Just not going to New Jersey any more is a big plus!
__________________
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.
dessert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern Louisiana
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Still two months away from 47......I have my school Scrabble volunteer work some days (see my screen name?), some other volunteer work during the day, dancing at night, my ladyfriend (who works full-time) on other evenings and weekends, another good friend on some evenings, and a good nap every afternoon! Just not going to New Jersey any more is a big plus!
Very interesting. I seem to be an anomaly because I am not a disgruntled employee nor do I hate going in every day. I am feeling like I am ready to hang up the spikes though. I don't have the passion for it anymore. This year will be fun because it is my farewell tour, so to speak. By the way I haven't given notice yet and will not until it is time to get my replacement in place and work with him/her for a few months. Sounds like fun to me.
__________________
Officially retired........Class of 2011
dessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #32
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: chicago
Posts: 4
So lucky! I am going to live vicariously through you. I CAN NOT wait until I am in your position!
__________________
cboenews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.
dessert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern Louisiana
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by cboenews View Post
So lucky! I am going to live vicariously through you. I CAN NOT wait until I am in your position!
Hey thanks. All I can say is LBYM, max out your 401k, save even more than that, DCA into them with an appropriate AA, bank all of your future raises, read all of the books that this forum recommends, and have fun along the way. You still have to live and have a good time while doing all that too. Don't deprive yourself.
You'll be there before you know it.
__________________
Officially retired........Class of 2011
dessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:09 AM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Rambler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,250
I still have about 1045 days, provided I don't contract the "one more year" disease. But who's counting? ...already beyond my targeted date, but agreed to 4 more years about this time last year. Three more of everything to go...

R
__________________
Find Joy in the Journey...
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.
dessert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern Louisiana
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I still have about 1045 days, provided I don't contract the "one more year" disease. But who's counting? ...already beyond my targeted date, but agreed to 4 more years about this time last year. Three more of everything to go...

R
I will have to confess Rambler, that I did add 9 months to my original plan because life situation changed slightly but now my date is chiseled in stone. Someone mentioned the other day about me coming back to consult on projects pending but I have no visions of that happening. If I wanted to stay and do that I would just stay employed but I want to move on.
I firmly believe in the bucket theory where you put your finger into the bucket of water and then pull it out. If the hole remains in the water, then you are needed. If not, then you can move on.
__________________

__________________
Officially retired........Class of 2011
dessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another (somewhat) young dreamer... RE@45 Hi, I am... 3 01-22-2008 03:57 PM
Another Young Dreamer bongo2 Hi, I am... 38 12-16-2007 09:01 AM
A not-so-Young Dreamer Linney Hi, I am... 4 12-03-2006 02:30 PM
Another new young dreamer... Jane Hi, I am... 24 07-09-2004 09:41 PM
Young Dreamer Daddy Hi, I am... 7 06-12-2003 10:09 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:31 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.